Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what can be done with one inch squares? >

what can be done with one inch squares?

what can be done with one inch squares?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Power Poster

I love using tiny pieces, I have two (tiny pieces) projects on the go at the moment. One is a Postage Stamp (I am using 1 1/2 inch cuts, so finished 1 inch) and another "quiltlet" using the triangular offcuts of another quilter's project. I often buy bags of scrap online....I bought a 500 gram bag of oddments and among the generous cuts of some very cool fabric were the offcuts....all oriental fabrics with lots of gold and silver. It really gets your brain working and keeps you busy for hours.

Cabbagepatchkid, I think you will find Lacelady is English Paper Piecing her project, hence the basting to hold the fabric to the papers. EPP makes for a neater job when using tiny bits.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM

Postage Stamp quilt, or pot holders for gifts?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Mine are 2cm finished, because at the time, I could only find metric graph paper! It's very much a work in progress, as I only do it when I want a change from my current project. You can do anything any size you want
This is so lovely. Are you EPP these?
Yes, and I sew 16 together in a little block, and each block has one black square and one white one, just to keep an overall balance, considering that everything else is scraps, but I might have been in danger of getting too many of a similar colour in one area.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Mine are 2cm finished, because at the time, I could only find metric graph paper! It's very much a work in progress, as I only do it when I want a change from my current project. You can do anything any size you want
Awesome!! :thumbup:

What are the little basting stitches, on each little square, for?
I am using the English Paper Piecing method - I cut my graph paper into 2cm squares, then bast the fabric round each piece of paper. The squares are then whip stitched together on their edges, which means there is no problem getting the corners to match. (paper is removed either as you go along, or all at the end, but there are some quilts in existence that the paper was left in for warmth!)
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Awesome!! :thumbup:

What are the little basting stitches, on each little square, for?
I am using the English Paper Piecing method - I cut my graph paper into 2cm squares, then bast the fabric round each piece of paper. The squares are then whip stitched together on their edges, which means there is no problem getting the corners to match. (paper is removed either as you go along, or all at the end, but there are some quilts in existence that the paper was left in for warmth!)
I think your quilt is wonderful and now I can see it would be a great 'take along' project. Do you just eyeball it when you cut your pieces of fabric?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Sure, you *can*, the question is, do you *want* to! lol

For myself, I get rid of any scraps that I can't squeeze at least an inch and a half square out of, because one inch finished is as small as I care to go. But if you have the patience for smaller, why not? : )
Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Yes, and I sew 16 together in a little block, and each block has one black square and one white one, just to keep an overall balance, considering that everything else is scraps, but I might have been in danger of getting too many of a similar colour in one area.
When you say black and white do you mean solid color or fabric that reads b or w? I really like the blue "borders" you've sewn in. Gives the eye a place to rest. I don't see a "glob" of any one color overall.
I have thought of doing a "hexie" quilt this size with EPP, but may change my mind and do squares instead. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece of work.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Give them to my mom, LOL. She loves working with tiny pieces of fabric.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 AM

My first thought was to use them as the corners for a 3" square (using the 1" squares like making Snowball blocks) and after making a whole bunch of them, make a lap quilt or maybe even a twin-sized quilt. There would be 16 to a 12 x 12 inch block....30 of those, set 5 x 6 would be a wonderful quilt!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

When you say black and white do you mean solid color or fabric that reads b or w? I really like the blue "borders" you've sewn in. Gives the eye a place to rest. I don't see a "glob" of any one color overall.
I have thought of doing a "hexie" quilt this size with EPP, but may change my mind and do squares instead. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece of work.
Yes, solid black and solid white. I do eyeball the pieces, it works out generally about an inch and a quarter so that I can turn over and baste. I started it when I had a lot of train journeys to and fro from home to Dublin - about 3 hours each way. I could put what I needed in either a large make up bag or a small zip lock bag, and I was occupied nicely. I would make a stack of 16 square blocks, and then finally started sewing them together. The blue was a bit of an experiment to see if they would stand out enough to be noticed, and break up the totally scrappy look. At the moment, it's about 5ft long, but I haven't done anything on it for ages now.