Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what can be done with one inch squares? >

what can be done with one inch squares?

what can be done with one inch squares?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM

I can't throw away anything lol!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222333.jpe  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Lacelady, I love that quilt! But, I need to add 100 more years to my life to get all the quilts done... for every quilt I finish I see 5 more that I want to make... and here is another... what I can do with all those tiny scraps... waste not, want not... lol ... cant spend time on this blog... must quilt... must quilt...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 AM

Wow! Lace lady! Beautiful.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laceybritt
Are yours 1" cuts too? Did you make a full square, cut on diagonal and add the solid triangle? Lovely.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Yes, and I sew 16 together in a little block, and each block has one black square and one white one, just to keep an overall balance, considering that everything else is scraps, but I might have been in danger of getting too many of a similar colour in one area.
When you say black and white do you mean solid color or fabric that reads b or w? I really like the blue "borders" you've sewn in. Gives the eye a place to rest. I don't see a "glob" of any one color overall.
I have thought of doing a "hexie" quilt this size with EPP, but may change my mind and do squares instead. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece of work.[/quote]

Yes, solid black and solid white. I do eyeball the pieces, it works out generally about an inch and a quarter so that I can turn over and baste. I started it when I had a lot of train journeys to and fro from home to Dublin - about 3 hours each way. I could put what I needed in either a large make up bag or a small zip lock bag, and I was occupied nicely. I would make a stack of 16 square blocks, and then finally started sewing them together. The blue was a bit of an experiment to see if they would stand out enough to be noticed, and break up the totally scrappy look. At the moment, it's about 5ft long, but I haven't done anything on it for ages now.[/quote]

Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Today i saw a quilt that used small pieces like yours. It had small 9-patches with the corners & center scrappy and the remaining four white. These 9-patches were sewn with white in between. Some of those shapes were triangles & some were octagons. I didn't get a change to unfold it for a better look.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I like Pretty Curious'idea of confetti. I am afraid that I would not be able to stay with it too long and a mini would be as far as I could go. I bore too easily.But by all means, have fun!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
LacyBritt, That is a beautiful quilt top. But, I am going to have to lie down with a cold cloth on my forehead after studying it for a while. To think of all those itty bitty squares!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Package them and sell them on Ebay or your next yard sale.
Donate them.
raffle them on this site.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM

oksewglad,
I just looked at your quilts using 1 inch squares. Your work is awesome. You have the patience of a saint.
I may try putting a 4 patch together to see what it is like sewing l inch squares. Know I won't do more than one 1 four patch.