Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what can be done with one inch squares? >

what can be done with one inch squares?

what can be done with one inch squares?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Mine are 2cm finished, because at the time, I could only find metric graph paper! It's very much a work in progress, as I only do it when I want a change from my current project. You can do anything any size you want
What a gorgeous quilt. Is it paper pieced?
Yes I am using the English Paper Piecing method - I cut my graph paper into 2cm squares (because metric graph paper was all I could find at the time), then bast the fabric round each piece of paper. The squares are then whip stitched together on their edges, which means there is no problem getting the corners to match. (paper is removed either as you go along, or all at the end, but there are some old quilts in existence that the paper was left in for warmth!)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Blue Bell--I use 1/4" seam allowance. Sometimes I trim to 1/8th; sometimes trim just one seam allowance; more likely don't trim at all. Some tips:
1. I like a little starch on the fabric (I usually prewash my fabric).
2. Use Creative Grids rulers--they have very narrow black lines and a non slip backing to assure accurate cutting.
3. Use my 1/4" foot to assure accurate sewing.
4. One of thing to avoid is what I call the "lr swing". Sometimes we like to start too far to the left, then swing slightly to 1/4" and then swing too far to the right at the end of the seam. This really throws matching those seams on tiny pieces off.
5. I always press to one side when sewing a block.
6. If I have sewn rows of blocks I will press those seams open.
7. A small tack hammer really presses intersections flat--now where did the grands put mine?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks for sharing your tips. I will let you know how I make out.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM

when you do the trip around the world you don't do squares individually. You do the strips; sew them together and then when you have the right amount of rows you make a tube; straighten up the ends and then cut rows; it only looks like you have two million little blocks sewen together
Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM

I don't think it would matter as long as everything is consistent.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg
when you do the trip around the world you don't do squares individually. You do the strips; sew them together and then when you have the right amount of rows you make a tube; straighten up the ends and then cut rows; it only looks like you have two million little blocks sewen together
Oh that's cheating!! :lol: :lol: My TATW and Many trips were all sewn 1 square at a time!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Oh that's cheating!! :lol: :lol: My TATW and Many trips were all sewn 1 square at a time!
Now, I wouldn't call that cheating. I would call utilizing my time to get the most out of it with the least amount of frustration. It was one of the easiest quilts that I have done. I have two going the first one only needs the second border for the top to be done and I have all of the "tubes" ready for the 2nd one. These two are all done with patriotic fabric and I want to do another one w/Christmas fabric.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Now, I wouldn't call that cheating. I would call utilizing my time to get the most out of it with the least amount of frustration. It was one of the easiest quilts that I have done. I have two going the first one only needs the second border for the top to be done and I have all of the "tubes" ready for the 2nd one. These two are all done with patriotic fabric and I want to do another one w/Christmas fabric.
Just teasing! I like doing what I call "step" quilts for kids this way. 8 5" strips of fabric. Makes a quick cute quilt with a 2-4" border.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Just teasing! I like doing what I call "step" quilts for kids this way. 8 5" strips of fabric. Makes a quick cute quilt with a 2-4" border.
I'm sure it would make it easier for kids or us quilters trying to get as much done in a short amount of time. My grandson loves hanging out with me and is always bugging me to teach him to quilt. He's also gotten bitten by loves old machine bug too. He tells everyone that the treadle one is his; I have four but I think he's mesmerized by that one because I told him it doesn't need electric to run. I knew you were teasing; I don't get offended too easily. With 5 kids and 4 of them boys I've had to learn how to laugh no matter what.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure it would make it easier for kids or us quilters trying to get as much done in a short amount of time. My grandson loves hanging out with me and is always bugging me to teach him to quilt. He's also gotten bitten by loves old machine bug too. He tells everyone that the treadle one is his; I have four but I think he's mesmerized by that one because I told him it doesn't need electric to run. I knew you were teasing; I don't get offended too easily. With 5 kids and 4 of them boys I've had to learn how to laugh no matter what.
Ah we do understand each other! Mother of 4; 3 of them boys and the old man makes a 4th! When I do these little ones a piece at a time, it's a nice diversion from fast n easy and an affirmation that "I can do that!". And they are small and relatively quick.