Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can you do with flannel other than rag quilt >

What can you do with flannel other than rag quilt

What can you do with flannel other than rag quilt

Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 AM

I use flannel a lot, mostly combine it with chenille for a nice warm winter quilt!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Karen, I'm glad you asked, becasue all these ideas are getting me thinking..... ;)

Originally Posted by Peckish
Oh my gosh I LOVE flannel quilts! You can make lots of quilts with flannel, as long as the patches are simple (as Holice said), or large.

Bonnie Sullivan designs flannel fabrics and quilts, here are a few ideas. I've made the "Plaid About You" (the 9-patch pictured below) quilt 3 times, everybody LOVES that quilt. She has lots of pictures that might inspire you on her website here:

http://allthroughthenight.net/All_qu...current_page=1

(ETA: obviously I like the quilts with dark backgrounds, but she has lighter-colored quilts too)
Peggi, I was wondering where Bonnie Sullivan finds so many of those wonderful flannels. Our JoAnn's carries nothing like that and I've not seen any in the quilt shops either. My favorite one on her web site was this one:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254919.bmp  
Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 PM

okay - I don't understand how to do chenille and flannel? Can you please explain.
Thanks
karen

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Don't forget that Chenille works great made from flannel. When you do the Chenille cuts, don't prewash the flannel.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 PM

I just mix flannel blocks and chenille blocks into a quilt, so just like having two fabrics and sewing together, they just are different textures...you have to clean out the bobbin case quite a bit, lots of fuzz. I have found that if I put my 'dry' chenille fabric in the dryer for a little while there is less mess all over the quilt room!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM

How about "quillows"? Flannel makes nice quillows==so soft and warm!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 AM

HI, from Northern Ia. I love to use better flannels as the backing of my quilts for my Gch. They love them and by using cotton on the top and flannel on backing, they call them the summer and winter quilts. Depending on what season it is, as to what side they use>>>
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Peggi, I was wondering where Bonnie Sullivan finds so many of those wonderful flannels. Our JoAnn's carries nothing like that and I've not seen any in the quilt shops either. My favorite one on her web site was this one:
Well, it probably helps that she actually designs all those fabrics. She makes the quilts to show off the fabrics and make us all lust after them. I know that Fabric Depot carries them, and if you're not in the Portland area you can order from them online! :D
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by karensue
okay - I don't understand how to do chenille and flannel? Can you please explain.
Thanks
karen
You can make a chenille quilt out of flannel. There are several free tutes on the web, here's one.

http://sheilareinke.wordpress.com/20...-baby-blanket/