Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What chair do you use at your sewing machine? >

What chair do you use at your sewing machine?

What chair do you use at your sewing machine?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM

If you assume the position you use when typing by sitting toward the front of the chair, and positioning right foot straight up and down under machine and bend left knee to the back a little you can go all day
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 AM

Janecat

A chair is a matter of opinion! I have an office chair that can move up, down, has a lumbar support, the front of the seat can be lowered or raised, the arms can be moved or removed. Needless to say my chair has a ton of options!

My suggestion is to try out a bunch in an "office supply" store. You will find the one that you like at the price that you can afford or amount that you want to spend. We bought our son a Sealy brand office chair, and he will have that for the rest of his life! My chair is not that brand as I am not his size, I am about 8 inches shorter than him and that makes a big difference!

Good luck, and keep us posted on you chair hunting! lol

TreeFrog
Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 AM

I love my office chair too. I can roll around as needed and I have an extra cushion on the seat. I did have the arms removed though as they would always get caught under my sewing table :roll:
Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Dittoon office chair...mine is an old stenographic chair (no arms)...swiveling and scooting whenever... This was free. But, have another purchased at 2nd hand office furnisture really cheap. Neither works too well (up and down)...Staples and Best Buy, and some furniture stores, and Walmart, etc. have them cheap.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Ergonomic office chair with adjustable lumbar support, raises and lowers, on rollers. Definitely go to an office supply store and try them out. Your chair needs to fit your body - not just height, but leg length (front to back) and position of lumbar support. A good chair is like a good pair of shoes. It will prevent back aches, and is worth the money in the long run.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 AM

OLD office chair with two pillows for my bad back!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 AM

I have one of my dining room chairs. I sit on the front edge of the chair so lumbar support would be wasted on me. My car seat has lumbar and it really helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by j
I use a stool that goes up and down, but would a back support be better. I find that after sitting awhile, my back burns so bad, I have to quit. Any suggestions for this. Thanks -- J>
I have that happen when I "hunch" while sewing--I found that standing up for a few minutes every 10-15 minutes to stretch REALLY helps! and yes, you NEED back support!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 AM

I have one of my kitchen chairs that is stored in the basement... I do have a computer chair down there haven't tried that one out yet!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM

I have an office chair that I bought at Sam's but it isn't high enuf. This is a problem when shopping for a chair. Office chairs are usually not high enuf. My machine sits on a low counter but the machine doesn't drop down in. So I have the extra heighth. I will check out the drafting chair thing. I looked everywhere. The chair I had before worked beautifully but I fell and broke it!! Don't go there.....