Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What chair do you use at your sewing machine? >

What chair do you use at your sewing machine?

What chair do you use at your sewing machine?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Great info - my back hurts too from sewing - I sit forward in the chair.

I find relief in laying on the floor and putting my legs up so that my knees are bent at 90 degrees. feel so good.

Will check the office supply stores next time. Guess I should take measurements of some type too, right?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM

I use an office chair. I rolled up a bath towel and used a bungee cord (with some improvising) to attach the roll to the chair so that I have support on my lower back. Once in a while I have to relocate the towel so it correctly fits into the small of my back. The support feels great. A physical therapist advised I do this and save myself the expense of a special back support.
Also, when I'm at the computer, I use a dining room chair with a back support I GOT AT THE DOLLAR TREE!!! Guess how much I paid for it? Ha Ha Ha.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
I use an office chair. I rolled up a bath towel and used a bungee cord (with some improvising) to attach the roll to the chair so that I have support on my lower back. Once in a while I have to relocate the towel so it correctly fits into the small of my back. The support feels great. A physical therapist advised I do this and save myself the expense of a special back support.
Also, when I'm at the computer, I use a dining room chair with a back support I GOT AT THE DOLLAR TREE!!! Guess how much I paid for it? Ha Ha Ha.
I'd love to see a picture showing how you're doing this. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM

I have a great leather office chair with lumbar support. Don't get a high back one or excutive type. I love the wheels, very handy to scoot about.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
...the batting fused to the chair! I got most of the fluff off, but there are some stubborn spots.
Have you tried "Goo-gone" to get the rest of it off? I have used a lot of things to take off sticky or difficult materials...works for me in most situations. Picked up a 3 Oz. bottle @ the $1 store the other day...but it's sold at most stores like walmart or home depot. Another to try that is stronger yet is the "Goof-Off" heavy Duty. Hope this might save you from having to make a cover.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
Rolling office chair, height adjustment, lumbar support, no arms. Love it!
Same plus one of those wire back things I bought at a quilt show. It really helps my back.
I have one of those wire things I bought at the
Chicago quilt show last year. Paid $11 for it. While shopping at the Dollar Tree one day, they had them for $1! Yes, only $1. Bought it for a door prize at quilt camp. They loved it! They work great if you need the extra lumbar support. I have a really good sewing chair so I use it in my computer chair.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by janecat
I have a regular office chair with wheels that I use at my sewing machine. It allows me to scoot back and forth across my long sewing table.

However, the chair is kind of uncomfortable, and I'm thinking of getting a new chair.

What kind of chair do you have? Do you have a recommendation for a specific brand or kind of chair? What works for you?

Thanks for your advice!
Just make sure it has at least 5 wheels, so it won't tip easy. This is VERY important.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM

I have a regular office chair with wheels that I use at my sewing machine. It allows me to scoot back and forth across my long sewing table.

However, the chair is kind of uncomfortable, and I'm thinking of getting a new chair.

What kind of chair do you have? Do you have a recommendation for a specific brand or kind of chair? What works for you?

Thanks for your advice!
In dispair, I finally wheeled one of my really comfy springy upholstered dining room club chairs with upholstered arms and wheels on them into my quilt room.
Ahhh, finally! my backache is gone.
I can sit hours in that chair! I can make do with 3 chairs at my lunch table because I live alone - and if company is invited, I can just wheel it back!
I warn you though they are expensive, (at least $200 each new) so look for sales or second hand.
The office chair is banished to the guest/office room.
Jeannie
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Thanks for your advice!
In dispair, I finally wheeled one of my really comfy springy upholstered dining room club chairs with upholstered arms and wheels on them into my quilt room.
Ahhh, finally! my backache is gone.
I can sit hours in that chair! I can make do with 3 chairs at my lunch table because I live alone - and if company is invited, I can just wheel it back!
I warn you though they are expensive, (at least $200 each new) so look for sales or second hand.
The office chair is banished to the guest/office room.
Jeannie
Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

I use a high-backed, padded, lumbar chair which swivels and is on wheels!