Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What colour to paint sewing room? >

What colour to paint sewing room?

What colour to paint sewing room?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by nuffsaid
If the prime criteria for color choice is for the true colors of the quilt you will be quilting to be not influenced by the wall color of your room, you might want to consider this. I remember once doing a color study for a weaving project. We were looking for a color to surround other colors so that the other colors would "pop" without being influenced by the red or the yellow or the blue in the outside color. Do you know what color worked beautifully?? A true grey!! White made colors looked washed out; black did not work for some colors--too stark; other colors influenced the tone or hue of the interior colors. So, perhaps you could use a soft pale grey . . . and use curtains and your quilting fabrics to provide the color we all crave.
Grey was my first guess as to influence but I have to think the lighting is the most important. I have daylight fluorescent lights and love it. It's bright and shows the true color of the project. My customers are sometimes surprised at how their quilts look when flat on my large table under those lights instead of the yellow tint of other lighting. My walls are dark teal and dark peach but not much of the wall shows because of all the quilts hanging. The pegboard wall is white and the door is red.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Originally Posted by chuckbere15
I have a light yellow in my kitchen/sewing room and it is great. I would also get the best lighting you can get. I am not sure what they are called, but I think they are call day light lamps, love em.
I think you mean "Ott lights" - they come in all kinds of types, and I even have a floor lamp that is an Ott light.
Daylight spectrum bulbs come in a lot of sizes and shapes. Not high-priced like Ott.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
As many of you are aware, I am currently painting out rooms in wait for my Tin Lizzie to arrive. My question is, what colour would you paint your room? I had read a longtime ago, that dark colours aren't appropriate for the sewing room as it distorts the fabric colour. I'm wondering should it be totally white(not my first choice), or a soft beige, or yellow or what? I know it needs to be easy on the eyes and pleasant at the same time. The room has two windows in it and hardwood floors. I would really appreciate your opinions!
Thank you all for all the wonderful feedback as to what colour to paint the Tin Lizzie room. I ended up taking 1 cup dark beige and adding it to a gallon of white. It made it a very soft beige/peach colour with white woodwork and ceiling. I was notified this morning that my Tin Lizzie will be here next Friday, so, once she is setup next weekend, I will post pictures of the room finished and setup. Thank you all for your input.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

My DH and I are in the process of finishing my quilting room, it's yellow with white trim. He is putting cubies and shelves in the closet for storing fabric, then new doors and carpet, I can hardly wait. I've always wanted a yellow room, and I wanted something light and cheery to quilt in!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Sherwin Williams #6688 Solaria latex eggshell finish

Quite bright when first applied but softens with addition a furniture etc.

Good luck with your pick .. with whatever color you choose.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-178377.jpe   attachment-178378.jpe  
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jfowles
My DH and I are in the process of finishing my quilting room, it's yellow with white trim. He is putting cubies and shelves in the closet for storing fabric, then new doors and carpet, I can hardly wait. I've always wanted a yellow room, and I wanted something light and cheery to quilt in!
Great colors...I chose the same.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM

I had my sewing room painted in an off white. It's in the back of the house and gets pretty decent sunlight and the off white walls keep it light and bright. My sewing room is fully stocked with tables and storage cabinets that are bright primary colors and I think the off white color keeps it from looking like there are color conflicts going on.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM

You have done a wonderful job and "coloring" your room! Very pretty!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilterella
As many of you are aware, I am currently painting out rooms in wait for my Tin Lizzie to arrive. My question is, what colour would you paint your room? I had read a longtime ago, that dark colours aren't appropriate for the sewing room as it distorts the fabric colour. I'm wondering should it be totally white(not my first choice), or a soft beige, or yellow or what? I know it needs to be easy on the eyes and pleasant at the same time. The room has two windows in it and hardwood floors. I would really appreciate your opinions!
I'm doing the same this summer, and it will either be a pale yellow or a pale sage green. These colors to me are warm and comfortable and that is what I like my environment to be.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

I painted mine lemon yellow and everything in it looks bright I really like it my other room was white and don't like it as much as the yellow room