Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Constitutes A Mystery Quilt? >

What Constitutes A Mystery Quilt?

What Constitutes A Mystery Quilt?

Old 02-04-2018, 06:52 AM

Illinois - if you hurry up you can still get breakfast on the train!

The first instructions are on post 111, in case your pages don't line up the same. there is clarification later that the 96 on the picture is incorrect, sb 48. That is one nice thing about doing it as a group, if you aren't quite sure about the instructions - you can ask and you'll get your answer.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:09 AM

I've done several of Judy's mystery quilts, and have been very happy with the outcomes. She's very good about answering questions and helping folks along should anyone run into a snag. I like that she gives the instructions for a lap quilt, but most of the time, the quilt can be added onto if you'd like a larger quilt.

I've looked at several of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilts (after they were completed), but so far they've all been too intricate for my tastes and my patience. I get burned out on repetitive projects. They're beautiful, though.

(Edited to add additional thoughts. )

Last edited by moonrise; 02-04-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:18 AM

I was always afraid to take the plunge, for most of the reasons you all have listed here. Since I have started doing them, I look forward to the next one. My number one rule is: I do not go buy new fabric for the mystery. I have to use what I already own. The only exception is for the backing. My last mystery broke my own rule and I had to have 7.5 yd for the background fabric, so I did buy that. The mystery’s I have been pleased with the results are: Alycia Carmin QOV mystery quilt. (Just got the fabric requirements last Friday). MerryMahem (which was printed in my quild newsletter, Misty Mist Designs (someone just posted her quilt a day or so ago). I have not done a Bonnie Hunter because her scrappy-ness is way beyond my little brain to grab ahold of. :-)

I’ve tried to upload some of the photos (from iPad) but cannot get them to load. Don’t know how to change the size on the iPad, if I can).

Ellen
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 AM

I love the idea of mystery quilts, but I cannot devote a day to one like the NYD or supper bowl ones. So I copy the instructions.

This summer I plan to make myself a couple kits from past mysteries, book a cottage and sew to my hearts content interspersed with walking the dogs and swimming.

I love following mysteries. I have watched the progress on the last few Bonnie Hunter ones. I do no think I would make one of hers, but who knows what will happen in the future?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 AM

I always said I was never going to do a mystery quilt. My Mom was in town for Thanksgiving and challenged me to do Bonnie Hunter's On Ringo Lake Mystery Quilt this year. I did have a lot of fun working along on it with the group even though I despise making the same units over and over and over and over again, however...I did not like the reveal. Way too much of one color...especially the color most of us thought was going to be a secondary color. I did stop making clues when units started getting pieced together in order to allow the most flexibility with switching things up at the end.

I have played around with a bazillion layouts, and viewed lots of peoples' variants but at the end of the day - this is one just not going to work for me. I will repurpose the parts into separate quilts.

But now I know for sure - Mystery quilts are 100% not for me. I might save the clues while a mystery is going on but I will wait until the reveal to decide whether or not to take the plunge.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 PM

I just finished my first Mystery Quilt--from Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs. It was fun anticipating each months' instructions. She gave us quilt fabric options and fabric selection options. Check it out Meadow Mist Designs Facebook Group.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:41 PM

I did a mystery at a local shop about a year ago. It was a Debbie Cafferty(sp) & I really liked the fabrics. It didn't turn out the way I hoped. #1, it was on point & I have a terrible time with those. There were also blocks I had never done before so they were a little off. When I sewed it together it was wonky. It was folded & put away, somewhere in the sewing room. It was a larger quilt, full - queen. Maybe I should try something smaller.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM

I agree that, to me, BH's quilts are too busy.