Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Did I Do Wrong? >

What Did I Do Wrong?

What Did I Do Wrong?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Beginner pattern this isn't, as Yoda would say. If I were going to make this, I'd figure it on a 2-1/2" grid, which would yield a 12-1/2" finished block.

You need four 3" white squares for the outside corners.
You need one 3" white square for the center of the block.
Four 3" x 8" strips of striped fabric
Four 3" squares of dark pink and four 3" squares of light pink - sew one light and one pink to opposite ends of striped fabric strip.
Four 3" squares of fussy cut flower fabric
Two 4" squares of dark pink for HST Two 4" squares of light pink for HST Trim HSTs down to 3" square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]318664[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 12.5-finished-block.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM

I agree w/catmclure -- this is not an easy pattern. I looked at it and immediately started redoing it myself, although I would have simply used triangles in the corners instead of Y seams. One thing to remember is when cutting anything on the bias, you get a lot more stretch and therefore length where you may not want it. Honestly, I use a lot of starch when I have bias cuts -- just helps to keep the pieces the size they should be -- or closer, anyway. Don't let this discourage your trying out new things -- we learn more from our mistakes than we do from perfection.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I downloaded a placemat/runner pattern that said it was "easy" for beginners, and I consider myself an intermediate/beginner. It consists of a trapezoid shape, two rhombus shapes put together to form a chevron, and squares that attach to the chevron and trapezoid, and they all go together in a pattern. I was very careful measuring the pieces making sure the size was correct. The shape pattern was provided to use for cutting. I made sure the seams matched on the squares. When I put it all together the diagonals on each side of the center were way off.

I've made four quilts but they've been strips, squares, and log cabins. Now I'm hesitant to try different shapes.

That sure doesn't look like a beginner pattern to me. Don't beat yourself up - it's not you - it's the pattern.
Even some "easy" patterns need some "one on one" help. Keep at it. Don't get discouraged.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM

I don't consider any pattern with Y seams to be a beginner's pattern.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 PM

yep...I agree that is not a beginner pattern...but it is very pretty..thanks for the pattern.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM

I agree with Jan in VA....what seems easy for pattern maker may indeed be much harder. I think that they take for granted that everyone knows the 'little tricks and tips' that make this type of pattern go together easier. Right now I am working on a bias quilt and it is giving me fits....and I have been quilting for 30+ years. Godd Luck.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM

When you laid the diagonal piece onto the square piece, did you leave a 1/4" "tag" (bit of the point of the diagonal seam) hang over the edge? When doing a diagonal seam, you don't match them up exactly. That may have been your problem.
Actually, if you look at the drawing in the pattern...you could draw lines and see that the parallagrams could be half square triangles, had the pattern designer wanted to make this a beginner's pattern, which in the form it's in, I would say it's intermediate, not for a beginner.

Marge
Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I've attached a copy of the pattern. Is it an "easy beginner" pattern? My squares are fine, but when trying to attach the angled pieces, they didn't match up well. I wasn't able to get a picture of my results. When looking at it, the angles are not symmetrical on each side. I appreciate any help.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Yep...that's how I would break it down.

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
Beginner pattern this isn't, as Yoda would say. If I were going to make this, I'd figure it on a 2-1/2" grid, which would yield a 12-1/2" finished block.

You need four 3" white squares for the outside corners.
You need one 3" white square for the center of the block.
Four 3" x 8" strips of striped fabric
Four 3" squares of dark pink and four 3" squares of light pink - sew one light and one pink to opposite ends of striped fabric strip.
Four 3" squares of fussy cut flower fabric
Two 4" squares of dark pink for HST Two 4" squares of light pink for HST Trim HSTs down to 3" square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]318664[/ATTACH]
Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Have you tried rearranging the pieces you are trying to put together? One shape says to cut x number and x number in reverse. Maybe you are trying to put the 'reverse' pieces where the others belong.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM

I was able to find another easier way to do this block on Quilter's Cache
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/Farme...hterBlock.html
I hope this can also be helpful to you. Set in seams are beyond my skills!