Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM

thanks. I have a GFG in progress - has been in progress for almost 7 years. Obviously I don't work at it steadily. I should be joining the blocks together - wasn't in the mood for hand work this winter
Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blahel
i learned that if i spend to long on here I dont get much quilting done!! :lol: :lol:
That too.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Today I learned what it takes to make a round quilt...about $41 worth of tools!! I got an order for 2 round quilts, and I didn't realize how much the tools would be...oh well, I'm sure I'll need to make other round quilts in the future???? Hopefully!!!
Round quilt? How big will it be? What kind of tools? Please post a photo of your completed project. Sounds really interesting. That was my new thing to learn today, round quilts.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

I went to my first shop hop. Only went to one store though, but it was very nice. Bargains, plus lots of helpful salespeople made the experience great. I would do one again.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

I learned how to free motion on my Pfaff machine.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM

I've learned that finding nice fabric is more of a chore than I expected. Not fun at all :(
Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
I learned how to sew two squares into two triangles, lol, that sounds easy eh! lol well it was a first for me actually! really cool though!
We can share the pain. ;-) I learned how to make Quarter Square Triangles
the hard way and I should check the tutorials before cutting. :oops:
Oh, and make sure that ROF face ROF. What's quilting without a little
ripping, hey? ;-)
Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 AM

I have learned that all quilters are alike - we rejoice in learning something new, walk away for a bit when it gets too tough, yet come back to it. I have learned that everyone has their own way of doing something and one way or the other it comes out. I have learned that the closest place to Heaven is sitting in front of your sewing machine and rejoice in what has just turned out. I have learned that patience and fortitude are right in front of you - and all you have to do is step on the pedal and what you do comes out beautiful no matter what or how long it takes. I have learned that Kitty Whompas means Only God is perfect!!!!! And I have learned that this is not a dying art, that there are a lot more people than we know who quilt for one reason or another. I quilt because it makes me happy. I Quilt for Kids because I want them to be happy (because from experience with my husband, I know what cancer can do) and feel the warmth a blanket can make when you are undergoing chemo. I want my mother to know that everything she ever tried to teach me didn't go in one ear and out the other and that at 71 I can still learn. Not a whole hecka of a lot more, but I can still learn. I have learned that I am not one of a kind. There are a lot more like me out there and you all are a part of it. I have made more friends on Quilting Board than I ever imagined and they all have the same aim.....quilting because it's there and the fabric is there and the designs are there and we can just fly with it. Edie
Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 AM

Well I learned in the last few days I do not ever again want to hand quilt through 80/20 Fairfield batting.I did want the old fashioned look when I washed it. What a struggle. I knew about the cotton batting but for some reason thought the 80/20 would be easier. I have a hand appliquéd quilt that I made years ago while recouping from surgery. So I figured since I am in that position again it would be a good time to finish it and pass it to one of my granddaughters. I finally took it out of the lap hoop and it was a little easier but my stitches are huge. I am contemplating tearing it out and machine quilting at least all the straight lines in it. Never again. I cannot afford the silk or wool batting so I guess its poly for me from now on for any hand quilting I do.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by erhausfrau
I have learned that all quilters are alike - we rejoice in learning something new, walk away for a bit when it gets too tough, yet come back to it. I have learned that everyone has their own way of doing something and one way or the other it comes out. I have learned that the closest place to Heaven is sitting in front of your sewing machine and rejoice in what has just turned out. I have learned that patience and fortitude are right in front of you - and all you have to do is step on the pedal and what you do comes out beautiful no matter what or how long it takes. I have learned that Kitty Whompas means Only God is perfect!!!!! And I have learned that this is not a dying art, that there are a lot more people than we know who quilt for one reason or another. I quilt because it makes me happy. I Quilt for Kids because I want them to be happy (because from experience with my husband, I know what cancer can do) and feel the warmth a blanket can make when you are undergoing chemo. I want my mother to know that everything she ever tried to teach me didn't go in one ear and out the other and that at 71 I can still learn. Not a whole hecka of a lot more, but I can still learn. I have learned that I am not one of a kind. There are a lot more like me out there and you all are a part of it. I have made more friends on Quilting Board than I ever imagined and they all have the same aim.....quilting because it's there and the fabric is there and the designs are there and we can just fly with it. Edie
AMEN!