Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I've learned that I don't have enough days in my life left to do all the quilts I want to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I simply HAVE to quit looking at quilt magazines and the pictures on this forum!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you. I'm right there with you on this.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM

after meticulouslly marking my 1/4 inch seam and many times not having blocks measure out right, I took some of your ideas about using a scant 1/4 inch seam and it works much better. Thank you. You'er never too old to learn a new trick.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM

How to do Sharon Squier Craig's twist and turn method of setting blocks.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!
Am I in the minority then? Guess I must be!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?

Gal
Walmart used to carry white hand quilting thread but the ones near me no longer sell fabric so I just buy mine at JoAnn's and yes, JoAnn Fabrics does sell hand quilting thread as I use it all the time. Have no clue about quilt shops since I don't do quilt shops. Hope you can find some near you.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
Originally Posted by Gal
What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!
Am I in the minority then? Guess I must be!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?

Gal
I do about 90% hand quilting. That's why I don't get near the amount of quilts finished as most people. But it is well worth it. Good therapy and when finished they are beautiful. I love the look of the hand quilted ones. Another disapointment is going to a quilt show and not seeing very much hand quilting. I do some machine quilting on small items such as throws that will be used by my grandkids on the floor and wherever else. Would hate to see my hand quilting efforts abused.
I'm a hand quilter by choice but am learning about machine quilting just in case but my preference is hand. When I joined my quilt chapter there was only 1 other hand quilter and now there are 7 of us hand quilting at the meetings and it's nice to see. A few more have joined the past few months but only 7 of us are quilting at the meetings because we DON'T use hoops or frames. We're still out here.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I learned how to free motion on my Pfaff machine.
That's big and I'm thrilled for you. I need to tackle it but the polyester batting I use for hand quilting is NOT desireable for free motion. I discovered that the two times I did try it. Need to get some warm and natural and see if that is better. I hear it is. Enjoy
Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dorothy of Kansas
I learned that you can have another family, having never met them, and still share your interests, loves, hates and failures and they still love, help and support you. I love all ya'll. You've been there when I needed you and hopefully, I've been there for you.
Amen. I totally agree.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68
I love green. Yes it was a sale but I really like what '
"we" chose. The ladies at the quilt shop put in a couple of vetos for some of my choices.

Also hand quilting needle do wear out. They seem to get hot and bend.
wear out and mine will snap. I love using 9 or 10 as they give me tiny even stitches but one of them is finer than the other and it will snap on me. I don't remember which size is smaller but it's the smaller one that snaps.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Today I learned that time with my grandkids is precious. Quilting will have to wait until after church tomorrow:):):)
Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 AM

I have learned that there are a LOT of good,kind, and talented people on this quilting program. Thanks to all of you for making this a fun and learning place.