Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Good message Mary. I second the motion
Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 PM

I have learned never to attempt to cut fabric after 3 pm! Sew yes, cutting, NO.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 PM

I'm just back from a quilting workshop - quilted landscapes but learned a lot about thread painting which is one thing I really wanted to learn. Excellent workshop!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gal
What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!
Am I in the minority then? Guess I must be!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?

Gal
That is not so! I have only hand quilted for many years. The quilt I am working on now will be my first "fmq" but then I will be hand quilting my next project. I would think they would want to accomodate all quilters. If they want to keep your business - demand they stock it!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by Cathie_R
Originally Posted by Gal
What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!
Am I in the minority then? Guess I must be!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?

Gal
I do about 90% hand quilting. That's why I don't get near the amount of quilts finished as most people. But it is well worth it. Good therapy and when finished they are beautiful. I love the look of the hand quilted ones. Another disapointment is going to a quilt show and not seeing very much hand quilting. I do some machine quilting on small items such as throws that will be used by my grandkids on the floor and wherever else. Would hate to see my hand quilting efforts abused.
I'm a hand quilter by choice but am learning about machine quilting just in case but my preference is hand. When I joined my quilt chapter there was only 1 other hand quilter and now there are 7 of us hand quilting at the meetings and it's nice to see. A few more have joined the past few months but only 7 of us are quilting at the meetings because we DON'T use hoops or frames. We're still out here.
I am a hand quilter and at my guild I am in the minority. At times I felt I was the only one. It is very rare that someone brings in a hand quilted quilt to show. They bring in many by machine and those they send out to a long arm quilter. Maybe that is why they have time to finish so many more than I.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I learned that when you send out a squishy, make sure to go to the "real" post office or a "postal annex." I stopped at one of those shipping stores today that cover all shipping carriers because it was on the way and DH had gone there before. His words: "It will be quicker!" YES, because they have a different rate system and only DUMMIES LIKE ME go there. They charge DOUBLE what the USPS does. No kidding!

So if you find yourself in one of those places, ask how their rates are BEFORE handing overthose squishies. For what it cost, I could have driven to the next county.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 PM

i learned so much today! our guild had a beginner sewing class (it was the second one) today we worked on half square triangles, quarter square triangles and flying geese. they were a lot simpler to do than i thought. of course they weren't perfect but i am not afraid of them now. i also learned i need to invest in a quarter inch foot for my machine. good day sewing - those ladies are the best!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 PM

I learned that your day is not always your own. I had planned on sewing all day today. DH has a niece on life support and getting worse so we spent the afternoon at the hospital. Sewing can wait family can't always.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:31 PM

i learned that i can make flying geese come out pretty close to right, with my 2 yr old grandson in my lap....he was helping grammy...

i had such fun i really didn't care if the geese were right, i have to admit!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by blahel
i learned that if i spend to long on here I dont get much quilting done!! :lol: :lol:
Ditto!!