Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 AM

I learned that you can have another family, having never met them, and still share your interests, loves, hates and failures and they still love, help and support you. I love all ya'll. You've been there when I needed you and hopefully, I've been there for you.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Well I learned in the last few days I do not ever again want to hand quilt through 80/20 Fairfield batting.I did want the old fashioned look when I washed it. What a struggle. I knew about the cotton batting but for some reason thought the 80/20 would be easier. I have a hand appliquéd quilt that I made years ago while recouping from surgery. So I figured since I am in that position again it would be a good time to finish it and pass it to one of my granddaughters. I finally took it out of the lap hoop and it was a little easier but my stitches are huge. I am contemplating tearing it out and machine quilting at least all the straight lines in it. Never again. I cannot afford the silk or wool batting so I guess its poly for me from now on for any hand quilting I do.
I use Warm and Natural (all cotton - warm in winter - cool in Summer) when I do my hand quilting with the 18" hoop. Have never had a problem. Every once in a while, rub your needle through your hair - remember our babies and we rubbed the safety pin through our hair and it put a bit of oil on it and it went through the 1,000 layers of diapers - nobody remembers that anymore! The needle in the hair worked for me. I didn't have to use the procedure a whole lot, but when I sat for hours quilting, it came in handy. Don't worry about spacing. The quilts way back done by us every day ordinary people were not daintily stitched either. Only the ladies had perfectly matched stitches!!!!!! Edie
Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by erhausfrau
I have learned that all quilters are alike - we rejoice in learning something new, walk away for a bit when it gets too tough, yet come back to it. I have learned that everyone has their own way of doing something and one way or the other it comes out. I have learned that the closest place to Heaven is sitting in front of your sewing machine and rejoice in what has just turned out. I have learned that patience and fortitude are right in front of you - and all you have to do is step on the pedal and what you do comes out beautiful no matter what or how long it takes. I have learned that Kitty Whompas means Only God is perfect!!!!! And I have learned that this is not a dying art, that there are a lot more people than we know who quilt for one reason or another. I quilt because it makes me happy. I Quilt for Kids because I want them to be happy (because from experience with my husband, I know what cancer can do) and feel the warmth a blanket can make when you are undergoing chemo. I want my mother to know that everything she ever tried to teach me didn't go in one ear and out the other and that at 71 I can still learn. Not a whole hecka of a lot more, but I can still learn. I have learned that I am not one of a kind. There are a lot more like me out there and you all are a part of it. I have made more friends on Quilting Board than I ever imagined and they all have the same aim.....quilting because it's there and the fabric is there and the designs are there and we can just fly with it. Edie
I have learned that there are some awesome people out there who know how to say just the right things to make me smile and enjoy life and the reason I quilt and the reason I am on this board so much.

Thank you Edie- you've made my day.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 AM

I've learned that I love sewing with others SO much more than sewing alone!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

What did I learn? I learned that my right arm kills me after spending a day cutting fabric. I learned that my legs get stiff as if I had worked out in a gym for hours. My fingers hurt and my lower back has knots in it. My brain is so tired from sewing and then ripping the thread out and starting over again. Did I bleed during all this? YES. Quilting gives a whole new meaning to the phrase no pain no gain. Will I let that stop me??? NO WAY. Pain didn't stop me from having children so why would I let it stop me from quilting.
Carrie
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 AM

Oh I remember about the hair. Showed someone else it they thought I was nuts until they tried it. Now is a little harder though since I got it cut really short before surgery. Poke my scalp. lol I wanted this one to be an "heirloom" quilt. This granddaughter will probably grow up not seeing me but once or twice in her life. I wanted to give her something special. I will probably just wade through it . I have time.
I guess I should have waited until I could afford a really good batting. lol but this thing has been sitting around for about 8 years now.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by retired teacher
thanks. I have a GFG in progress - has been in progress for almost 7 years. Obviously I don't work at it steadily. I should be joining the blocks together - wasn't in the mood for hand work this winter
Just keep plugging along teacher. You'll get there. Are you doing english paper piecing? I do hand work all year long. Just can't set there in the evenings watching the weird things on TV that dh keeps flipping to!!! I do a lot of reading, but find it is sort of a waste of time. Nothing to show for it at the end of the book!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 AM

I love green. Yes it was a sale but I really like what '
"we" chose. The ladies at the quilt shop put in a couple of vetos for some of my choices.

Also hand quilting needle do wear out. They seem to get hot and bend.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 AM

I learned last night not to PP when tired. Got my colors reversed. :roll: Twice :roll: :roll:
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM

I've learned that I don't have enough days in my life left to do all the quilts I want to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I simply HAVE to quit looking at quilt magazines and the pictures on this forum!!!!!!!!!!