Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a difference good lighting makes! >

What a difference good lighting makes!

What a difference good lighting makes!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:51 AM

In the evening, while wTching tv I sit in my wingback chair, feet on footstool, with floor lamp over my right shoulder, and work on EPP hexies....thought lighting was "good enough"' but was thinking of investing in another ott floor lamp for up here...have two in sewing cave downstairs...anyway, went to my fav store..goodwill... And found a floor model ott lite....not white,but black based and kind of tortoise shell colored hood for $5.... No bulb, but bought it anyway...on way home stopped at a big box hardware store with number of bulb needed..they had it for $6.... Went home, put in bulb, plugged it in,flipped switch and it worked! Moved it to my sewing chair and that evening sat down to sew,got all my stuff out and ready to go...flipped on that switch..it has high/low and viola! The light was absolutely wonderful and no shadow....never think you have enough light......I now know I didn't!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:05 AM

I need to fix my lighting too. I have a lot of bright and focused task lighting so as long as I'm just looking down right where I'm sewing there's lots of light. But as soon as I lift my head out of that puddle of light it's like crossing from day into night. I have task lights at my sewing machine and over my cutting table and that's pretty much the ONLY lighting in the room. If I want to press something in the evening I just have to hope I'm doing it right because it's so dim in there. And good luck finding anything in my cupboards.

I found a cool old brass swag lamp on an extra long chain at a thrift shop for $8. It needs a special type of shade that I can't find, but I bought a generic shade at IKEA that I think I can modify to fit. It has one light that shines directly down and three more that provide ambient light - I'm going to suspend it a bit in front of my pressing area (a little off-center in the room) so my body won't cast shadows from it. I love Reveal light bulbs - they have a near-daylight color and aren't too expensive. I will probably put a mix of Reveal and LED bulbs in that fixture and then I think I'll be pretty well set.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:21 AM

I am a member of the "too much light hurts my eyes" except when I need to see absolute details of my sewing and cutting. I don't know if it is just me, but I can't sew a straight seam unless I can see everything very clearly. I wear contacts that are set for reading computers and books, which means at arm's length. When I sit down to sew, I wear a pair of +2 or +2.5 to see my sewing lines much clearer and turn on an extra light at my sewing machine. What a difference the glasses and the light makes! I do have to take the glasses off if I need to press, so a lot of people would not want to put the glasses on and take them off a dozen times in an hour's sewing session, but it really works for me.

I, also, have one of those magnifying lights that I love for ripping dark fabrics with dark thread. It makes everything so much easier to see and not end up ripping my fabric. The one I use sits on my sewing machine desk and has a movable, bendable arm that let's me put the magnifying glass where I need it. I got mine at a major office supply for less than $30 and it has the good bulb in it like the Ott lights do.

And, over the long arm, are the runway lights. It's like Louisiana in the bright shine but with no glare. I bought the more expensive daylight bulbs and have never regretted a minute of it.

For those who have had contractors or others tell them that they are putting in too much light. It just makes me wonder how someone else could make that type decision for you. If they just insist it is too much, then have them put in switches for each light fixture, then you can control individually how much light is on. Sometimes I need more and sometimes less, but the times I need more, I consider it almost critical.

Happy quilting everyone, got some Christmas gifts to finish and I am determined to get them done!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I use to have florescent lights over my work table but now I am in an apt. I love my Ott lights. Just bought my 5th Ott lamp at a resale store for $10. YIPPEE
Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I bought a clip on 12 bulb LED light from Lowe's and it's great to clip on my ironing station, cutting table, and sewing table. I like it better then my Ott lamp. When I go back to Lowe's I'll buy more, there was only one left and I will buy the regular base one too. It was $20.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Don't you love it when someone tells you what you don't want. I know a few builders who did it their way and houses sat on market because of the way lights and appliances have been placed.i don't mind some one saying I may want to rethink but don't tell me what I don't want.
Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
when we remodeled our kitchen I did the same thing and requested the flourescent lights all over the ceiling. The builder said " you don't want that much light" I said yes I do, and thats what I got with no regrets. I sure makes a difference especially during the dark winter months.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have a good light in my sewing room, but moved my table a couple of feet towards the far end of the room, a while back. Took me forever to figure out that the 'good light' was now casting a 'good shadow' on my cutting station. Easy fix--just moved to table back to its original position.

I don't know if you folks in the US are acquainted with Lee Valley Tools. Up here it is a well known woodworking store. My Dh got me a multi-positionalbe fluorescent lamp that clamps to my sewing table. Best of all, it has a magnifying glass in the center. I cannot count the number of times I have used it to see and remove pesky little stitches that hide themselves in the weave of the cloth.
I often got things from Lee Valley several years ago. I got 2 sets of watchmaker tins to keep safety pins, buttons and other small things in. I love them. Lee valley has some very unique and useful items. I think I'll check them out again.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Don't you love it when someone tells you what you don't want. I know a few builders who did it their way and houses sat on market because of the way lights and appliances have been placed.i don't mind some one saying I may want to rethink but don't tell me what I don't want.
So agree with you. I once told a carpenter that I wanted the top of the floor cabinet to be 40" off the floor. He thought I had lost my mind. When he finally got it built, he agreed that it was perfect for me and could have been a bit more. I had to stoop to look out a window when it was built in my laundry room to "normal height", until I had them change it. When questioned, I told them I had always stooped to accommodate and when built to my needs, I wasn't stooping any longer. I figure when I am paying someone, they should just do as asked and then if I have made a wrong decision, I will live with the consequences, not them. Sure I can be wrong, but after the suggestions and the final determination are made, I don't want to have to argue with them.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I had an electrician tell me I didn't need the amount of outlets in my house as I asked for. I said is it a code violation, a safety concern, are you doing the work for free? If the answer is no to all the above then you have no say so in the matter at all. DH was standing there and just looked at the guy and said better order more outlet covers.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:17 PM

My Woodworking DH LOVES Lee Valley. The best thing you can give him as a gift is a gift card from Lee Valley. Lee Valley is his LQS.
Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have a good light in my sewing room, but moved my table a couple of feet towards the far end of the room, a while back. Took me forever to figure out that the 'good light' was now casting a 'good shadow' on my cutting station. Easy fix--just moved to table back to its original position.

I don't know if you folks in the US are acquainted with Lee Valley Tools. Up here it is a well known woodworking store. My Dh got me a multi-positionalbe fluorescent lamp that clamps to my sewing table. Best of all, it has a magnifying glass in the center. I cannot count the number of times I have used it to see and remove pesky little stitches that hide themselves in the weave of the cloth.