Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a difference good lighting makes! >

What a difference good lighting makes!

What a difference good lighting makes!

Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 PM

I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder), so without proper light I tend to get depressed. When I learned what the problem was, I lowered all of the curtain rods in my home from 8 inches to 15 inches to get as much light as possible. (Think free skylights) it has made a world of difference for me, but I think I will look into getting more light in my sewing area (one 75 watt fluorescent bulb on a hook on the ceiling, no other light) because I am having trouble seeing the fabric and stitches. I will look into some of your solutions here for a fix. Thank you all for the information.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:14 PM

My GF sent me this link to another LED strip. Has anyone purchased this one, and if so, what were the results??

I don't want to throw good money after bad. I'd rather pay a little more and be sure, but at the same time, if this one works just as good, it is much cheaper. Click on link: http://www.lightinthebox.com/jiawen-..._p2141655.html
Old 12-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
That's funny about feeling agitated. Glad more lighting helps! Bright light with no shadows makes a huge difference in my sewing mood too. When we built our house I asked for a flouescent light in every closet, some with 2 lights. The builder said "in every single closet? that's $85 a light!" I felt like saying "so what, compared to what the whole house is costing us." Well, the lights sure make it easy to see what's in the closets now! We're not getting any younger.
What a good idea! Mahalo!

We are in the middle of a major remodeling and this is the perfect time to add lights to the Quilting Room (former MBR) closet.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM

I have a floor stand Ott light that has the light, a magnifier, and a clip to hold a pattern (great for doing CCS). Because the light has a goose-neck, it can easily be positioned to shine exactly where I need it. I bought it through JoAnn's half price sale when I could also get free shipping. Best investment ever.

Older Ladies: please get your eyes checked if you haven't recently.

The correct glasses can make all the different in the world. I have distance glasses, computer glasses, and sewing glasses. Set down at your machine and have someone measure the distance from your eyes to the sewing machine needle: that's the measurement your optician needs. I have necklace chains on all pairs which makes switching back and forth from sewing to computer (aka "pressing" "reading" "general close-up") glasses take a second. *LOL* It also means not putting down one of the pairs and "losing" it in the middle of working.

A friend had glaucoma surgery and not only can she see again but the most amazing thing to her was that colours now pop! She hadn't even realized that the colours she was seeing had dulled because it happened so gradually.

Our eyes are our most important "tool" and we need to take extra special care of them!

Don't let those contractors tell you you don't need more light!!!!!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:48 PM

We recently replaced all the light bulbs in our home with LED bulbs. What a huge difference, I love it and we don't have to wait for the bulbs to warm up and get brighter. They do not put off heat the way some older bulbs do so that is a cost savings also. We were on a roll so we also bought a 70" LED TV, we had a LCD TV and you could walk by it and feel the heat coming from it. So far we have seen between 40.00 - 60.00 savings on our electric bill.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Banned

my sewing room only has an overhead light so I found these at a thrift store to add more lighting. they work very well and I can move them if needed.[ATTACH=CONFIG]502376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502377[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032169.jpg   s5032170.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I need to buy another floor lamp to use in sewing room. Overhead light W/4 bulbs is not enough. I have a floor lamp by my machine, need another over my cutting table. Never enough light.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 PM

These comments remind me of my dealings with a real estate agent concerning the prospective sale of property I owned. He had my listing but as we went along, I got the distinct impression he was representing the buyer more than me. Consequently, I got pretty direct with him.

Later, in telling my son about my conversation with this agent, I said, "Men don't like uppity women." He said "Some men don't like uppity women." I've never been prouder of him!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 PM

I know what you mean about lighting, just this evening before I read your thread I had been checking out Up-light floor lamps on Amazon. I purchased one last year for my sewing room and love the way the light washes across the ceiling and brightens up the whole room - now I want another to make it even brighter - thanks for getting the conversation going!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:07 PM

I have a halogen lamp that lights up my whole room. It's like being outside.