Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do next? >

What to do next?

What to do next?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 AM

I thought I always worked on just one project at a time. That was before I sat down and really looked at my sewing room!! I have a set of place mats with only one finished, then there is that Christmas quilt that just needs binding which has been there for 2 years, finishing up a birthday quilt for my MIL's 90th bday, an Advent calendar quilt that needs to be completed by November....hummm that might be all right now. So I guess I am officially a member of the UFO club!! Oh, but I have many others just waiting to be started..... where to begin!!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I believe I have ADHD or something. I get something started and them move onto something else. Kind of like going into a room to retrieve something you're working on in another room and getting distracted by working on something else from that room. Ya'll get the picture.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 AM

You sound like me. I have numerous projects of my own that are still assembled in kit form or in some form of completion. Last year I decided I was going to get 4 done. I finished one Christmas lap quilt (the first quilt for us) when babies started coming, DIL wanted a quilt for Christmas etc. Seems I work better with a deadline (gift or crisis) and manage to get those done, but always set mine aside. Oh well. Right now I am working on a rejected baby quilt (not really, but my DIL chose the other design, so I am making this one for our house as a floor quilt). Next I was going to start on a king size BOM for my son and DIL, but got a call from my aunt last week. She began chemo yesterday and I would like to send her a cuddle quilt. I have a quilt retreat this weekend so will assemble all the necessary supplies and hopefully finish that this weekend, to be mailed out next week. The new patterns I see and the fabric I can't wait to use, usually go to the next gift, which is my way of satisfying my need, and theirs. I wish I was as prolific as some of you are. I seem to quilt a lot, but am very slow and methodical...............just my style.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM

I have multiple projects going at one time. It has really helped me to do the UFO challenge here on the boards. I've gotten at least one UFO finished each month, and yet continue with my other stuff. I made a list of all my UFOs (56) and I cross them off as I complete them.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Ha Ha....that sounds exactly like me! Unless I have a deadline, I do what I want, which is usually start something new!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM

Never feel guilty about UFO's, but its fun to watch the finished things stack up like the unfinished ones. Maybe you could finish two projects, start on something new, and go back to the UFO's again. Wouldn't take long before you'd have a lot more finished than waiting
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 AM

My goal for this year is to complete many ufo's that have been staring at me for months and some for years. I have finished 7 so far this year and have at least double that to go. I don't know if I will ever have a clean slate to work from since I do many charity quilts and always have wedding, baby, birthday, Christmas and other holiday ones to start and complete but I feel the load lightening and it is inspiring me to see all the finished projects so far. No matter what you decide, feel the joy inside you when you are quilting. We are all human ufo's and we can strive to meet the end but who knows when that will be.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 AM

I, too, have several projects going at the same time. When I get tired working with a certain color or block that is when I switch to one of the other projects. Then if I have a request for a quilt, I will put all others away till the requested one is finished. Then it is back to switching back & forth again. Most of the time my attention span is very short.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM

I've been trying to alternate UFOs and new projects so the UFOs don't multiply quite so fast. Still have quite a few though! Keep hoping that a finished or almost finished one will be what is needed when I want a quick gift, but so far that has only happened twice. Rest of the time it seems like the color choices are not what's needed or I need one for a baby gift and anything suitable has already been gifted. So right now I'm trying to get one done that I really would have liked to have done a couple weeks ago and I haven't been able to do any sewing til last night and didn't get as much done as I had hoped to then. But at least it is moving along and I'm liking how it is looking.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Finish a ufo then reward yourself and start something new.