Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top?

Oh, after your description I was expecting much worse! I actually have a soft spot in my heart for the old utility quilts like that, since they were the type of quilts I grew up with.

Finish it and you'll have a great quilt to take camping, on picnics, or whatever else you need quilts for.

I like it but I am big time scrappy and that homey dorkey look.

I would use the quilt for a picnic/beach blanket. If you use it that way don't be surprised it wil become your family's favorite quilt. Like some one mentioned it will be the quilt no one is afraid to use and just think of all the memories it has and all the memories your family will add.

The fabrics, including the polyester ones, are awesome. I would leave it without the added teal border.

This quilt screams to me tie me with dorky old yarn.

You might be surprised at how many fabrics in that quilt might bring back memories of childhood clothes made from those fabrics. Might be a good thing to take to a family reunion some day. I tell my kids what I remember from the fabrics in quilts my mom made.

Maybe it is because I grew up in that era, but I kinda like it. Like a blast from the past. I like it better with out the turquoise border. Also, I too think it would look great tied! I seem to remember seeing many similar to this when I was growing up.

I love it. You should name it Wake Up And Get Out Of Bed!!!! It inspires me to get busy with what I have to do today!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    Quote Originally Posted by kit'smamma
    How is your relationship with the DMIL? If it is as bad as my relationship with mine just throw it in the trunk of the car. They sure are handy when you are having a skid problem. If you like her go ahead and quilt it for the sake of the relationship. Just do diagonal lines across it to hold it together and chalk it up to your good deed for the month.
    I too had the MIL from hell no way would I put a D infront of MIL,
    but none the less I quite like the affect, I think if it was mine I would have sewn the squares together differently to make 4 look like a square,
    but you must admit it is colourful
    ME TOO!

But this is indicative of it's day and that was when probably fabric was not as plentiful and waste not want not comes to mind; I think it will be comforting and better when backed and quilted and can be used with it's rustic charm.

I liked it better without the turquois border. what about putting lots of fancy embroidry stitches throughout the quilt along the seams and through the blocks like a crazy quilt, if you have a machine that will do that or do by hand if you are that ambitious.

Blog Entries
    It's not bad. In fact, I like scrappy. Looks like something I would make. Adding the turquoise is a stroke of genius. I say keep it and display it.
    Sew Krazy Girl

Count me in with those of you who like it! Scrappy always works for me.

Kas
    I love it!

I would finish it and surprise her with it on her birthday!

I think it is a beautiful quilt. How about sewing a thin strip down and across the rows in the turquoise fabric? That would keep the blocks from clashing into each other. The blocks do not seem to make a pattern. But definitely do not trash. All quilts are a work of art, I agree it does have attitude. Sally

Well, it is a little crazy and wild colors,(not something I would make) BUT really not that bad. I wouldn't want it on my bed, but as a beach blanket or folded at the end of a guest bed would be nice. Maybe for a college dorm bed ??? Or folded on a quilt rack.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    Oh I love my mother in law dearly and the more the quilt sits on the bed the more I'm diggin' it! It's got attitude:))
    I'm so glad your mind and heart made a turn in the direction it did! Your pictures show a 'seriously' scrappy quilt with a lot of charm. Maybe not to everyones liking but who cares except for your MIL and you. If you haven't already, may I suggest that you ask her about some of the materials used to make it. Alot of these types of quilts have warm memories of old sun dresses, first day of school, etc. These stories, if there are any could possibly make the quilt that much more loved. Try a black border. If you already added the turquoise, cut it back to 1.5 or 2" and add a 5 or 6" black border. Just lay a piece of black next to the edge and see what that does!

I like it. It's a great scrappy quilt.

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    I don't think this is the world's worst quilt. I like string quilts, scrappy/crappy quilts, so this one has me interested. I like the idea of breaking up those blocks by sewing a solid color sashing between then (just sew it on top of the blocks as is).

You are a sweetheart for even giving this quilt top a chance to turn into a swan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    actually, she gave it to me to keep! It's almost charming how crazy it is!
    Why would you want to break up someone else's creation. Older quilt tops were made from "REALLY" scrap material out of old clothing from necessity. I think it should remain the vintage that it is. You will be surprised at how the finished product willl look without breaking up the squares. It will be lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    Actually, I've seen worse :shock:
    I agree. I have seen a lot worse.
    It is not bad. Maybe not what you yourself would do. But not bad.
    I would finish it. Never know you might fall in love when finished.

Blog Entries
    I agree. It is beautiful, but then again, I love scrappy quilts. Better without the added border. I bet when it is quilted it will be even better. Give it a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Hmmm....maybe it's just me, but I like it! :D Even better without the border!

Blog Entries
    The quilter evidentally used what fabrics she had, and, really, it isn't that bad... I kind of like it for what it is. Like you just said, I think it is growing on you. Enjoy it and the fact the your mil gave it to you. it will be something to hand down to your children if it survives its usage.

Blog Entries
    The quilter evidentally used what fabrics she had, and, really, it isn't that bad... I kind of like it for what it is. Like you just said, I think it is growing on you. Enjoy it and the fact the your mil gave it to you. it will be something to hand down to your children if it survives its usage.

I love it too!

If she liked it finish it and give it to her for Christmas.

Blog Entries
    That quilt reminds me of the days when I wanted to make a quilt and had no money or fabrics did have some old shirts and pants and dresses with some good areas to cut up or just a string left of it and it went into a top. Boy did it feel good when the weather outside was frigtful.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Hmmm....maybe it's just me, but I like it! :D Even better without the border!
    Me, too.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast