Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top?

I like it.

it is a scrappy one.

I would be glad to take it off your hands.

Blog Entries
    AWW SHUCKS!!!!!
    Keep it.
    There will never be another like it.

I think it's gorgeous!! I'd even go so far as to add lace, beads,ribbon and embroidery. What a blessing to have a MIL you love.

Marie

i think its special..no one realizes how precious fabric was to get and quiltmakers often needed to make these in place of buying blankets...i realize it is a challenge..but you know what..if you put a dark..like a navy border on it and then a nice red binding it will look so much better...and yes..put it in the car..you never know...good luck with this one

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love it. To me it stands of the original purpose of quilting, to use left over fabric, old clothes. to make something from nothing. quilting used to be for the poor, to make something useable from something that otherwise the family had grown out of, or was too work, so the good portions of it were reused.

This reminds me of that. Your MIL should be proud to display it for all to see and get good use of it.

Too me it is beautiful. and it seems you are also starting to appreciate it's beauty. Hurray!!

I like it, too; but it also has an appeal because someone took the time to do all this with so many different scraps -- sort of recycling before it was popular!

I like it. Maybe I wouldn't if I looked too carefully at each block and fabrics next to each other but in the broad overall view, I think it's very colorful and cheery. May be I'm crazy but I often prefer the unexpected to the too-coordinated look.

Quote Originally Posted by monetgardening
    I think it's gorgeous!! I'd even go so far as to add lace, beads,ribbon and embroidery. What a blessing to have a MIL you love.

Marie
    This is a good idea. Maybe she has some lace and "stuff" left from her sewing days. I have trims, lace, buttons and all kinds of stuff that are from my grandmothers and some of the buttons are buttons that I remember her buying back in the 40s. I plan to use them in various ways. I just wonder if some of the fabrics in that quilt have some memory for the MIL.

I like it a lot! lots of color, lots of interesting things to look at...plus family history. I think it's a keeper.

Come to think about it, I'm not sure there's such a thing as an ugly quilt

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like it call me crazy but I like crazy quilts. I'm working on right now. But if I my put in my 2cents worth I would put on a darker border like blue or possible brown thats just my opinion if thats okay. :)

My mother made many quilts just like that. She called them "string quilts" because she used every little scrap of fabric she had, almost even used the strings, from every garment she made for one of her kids. She cut squares from newspaper, then sewed the scraps to them the way paper pieced quilt blocks are made. I wish I had one of them now to look at and remember the many dresses, skirts, blouses, and shirts she made for us.

I like it.... :thumbup:

I think you will be surprised how much better it looks when it's quilted. My mother hand quilted a top for my sister-in-law that was assembled by her grandmother. It was a scrap quilt, which was the true purpose of quilts years ago. I thought it was awful, but when Mom got done it was beautiful. Your mother-in-law loves you a lot to give that to you. Please don't offend her by throwing it in your trunk. If it doesn't fit your decorating scheme, just bring it out to cover up with in the evenings and tell her how much you enjoy it. Good mothers-in-law are hard to find ... keep her happy. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg
    I like it, too; but it also has an appeal because someone took the time to do all this with so many different scraps -- sort of recycling before it was popular!
    And brings to mind (for some of us "seniors") when times were difficult and folks did not have the money to buy "special" fabrics for a quilt, but they needed them for those cold winter nights when there was no central heat. Many of our ancestors would just be astonished at our "staches" and consider us a very spoiled generation.

I like it too. It doesn't seem any worse than some of the scrap quilts I've seen posted here. I like scrap quilts.

I love this quilt as well. reminds me of the reason I started quilting. The quilters I learned from did not buy material to make a quilt, they used scraps and many of the quilts were just lile that.

I love the quilt. The colors are great. just an opinion, but I am not crazy over the turquoise color for the border. Maybe a different blue, even a colorful print.

Two suggestions, tame the quilt by folding it and putting it across the foot of the bed of a plain covered bed or down comforter. It can then be viewed in only partial glory and used only when really cold. Second suggestion, I have a glass front cabinet, where I have folded quilts and you see them stacked on shelves, so in this case the quilt will be mixed in with others. I also use this cabinet for unfinished products and materials. It makes quite a statement color wise in the room.

I love it and if you want to trade something for it let me know lol.

Blog Entries
    I really like it. It's not like you're going to see another exactly like it anywhere which makes it unique. I was expecting to see so much worse but it really does "grow" on you.

Blog Entries
    I actually love it. Thios looks like something my grandma and I would have cut from scraps and put together.

Blog Entries
    Cherish it! and continue to take care of it for the next generations.

Just love it........lol!

I'll take it you can always donate it to a good cause. I like the turquoise border. Blue is my color anyway. :lol: :thumbup:
    Barbara from Massachusetts

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast