Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top?

Blog Entries
    Appears her corners/blocks match really well, so I would add a 3" border,
    then have it machine quilted in a simple "Meander" design (quick and easy
    for the quilter and less expensive for you). Then bind it and use it.
    Actually it is pretty nice as to color, etc.

Before I rolled down to the pictures , my first thought was to use it for a cutter . Sorry.
    Saw a quilt with So many fabrics with narrow off white strips sewn between the blocks. That calmed it to look very cheery.

It has its own charm. Don't like the border U put on though. Its good without it. Would be a good quilt to get used alot.

I made one similar to yours but alternated the squares with a solid and it was quite nice. Finish the one you have, tie it if nothing else and give it back toher as a gift or ask her if she minded your giving it to the Salvation Army or charity as you don't have a place for it in your home.
    Carol J.

Blog Entries
    You have two kids. Divide the quilt in half, and let the kids decide what borders to add, to their "Grandma made it for me" quilt! You can always tell her how much the grandkids loved them. They get a 'warm fuzzy', she gets a 'warm fuzzy' and you get a 'warm fuzzy'. Sounds like win, win, win, to me. :thumbup:

quilt it and enjoy it !! It does have character and quilting it will really bring that out!!

Blog Entries
    What a great quilt to have. My granny used to quilt utility quilts/sting quilts - she hid her treasures away in an old wooden box in the atic - Granny was blind in one eye and color blind in the other and she didn't think what she had to offer was beautiful enough - how sad - I have one of the old lap quilts made from worn out flannel shirts, wool pants and suit coats - it's one of my favorites because Granny stitched it and stitched it with love.

To be honest I was expecting worst. in Fact I don't think its really that bad

I kinda like it. I grows on you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quilt it up, bind it, and use it for a great picnic quilt!! I had a customer bring me a similar one that her grandmother had made in the 60's-70's. Hideous fabrics to me, some of them 100% polyester. She had used newspaper to foundation piece it, and top-stitched all the seams... newsprint was flying everywhere!! So I spent an hour or two picking out the newspaper shreds, then quilted it with a large stipple, and it is surprising what a little texture will do to make a quilt come alive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammiepamie
    I love it. You should name it Wake Up And Get Out Of Bed!!!! It inspires me to get busy with what I have to do today!!!
    This is great!!

I agree with doowopddbop. My MIL (God rests her soul today) made four or five of these double knit quilts. She hand tied them but two will soon be large machine quilted by me to add depth and durability to the quilts. Then, I will pass them on to her great grandchildren who remember her only as the lady in the picture. However, our son, dearly loves his grandma's quilt and when he went to college, he took two with him. Now one would think that young men out on their own for the first time would not appreciate such things from home but it was surprising the number of his dorm mates who went to his room, saying they needed a touch of home. Ten years after son's graduation, those old quilts still lay folded up within in his own home by the television where his children now fall asleep upon them. For goodness sakes, please finish the quilts for you never know when your children will want that touch of home..........

Blog Entries
    You know this looks like the perfect quilt to snuggle under on the couch (on a rainy our snowy day) and take a lovely nap :-D

I have to vote "like it". The turquoise border really puts it in it's time warp. Looks good.

Keep it and leave where you see it's beauty everyday - it will grow on you and you are right it does have attitude! I would put a backing on and probably no batting and tie it. My mother made similar quilts out of double knit and they last forever and forever......

Treasure the quilt. When I was growing up, we would have loved to have one like that to sleep under. Our bedrooms had no heat, so we had enough quilts on us, til we couldn't turn over. LOL. We used the old feather beds (which you certainly don't see anymore). Quilts then were made with what we had to make them with. Feed sacks, scraps from homemade clothes, etc. Be glad your mother-in-law gave it to you. I would love to have one like that given to me. My grandmother used to piece string quilts on newspaper or old pieces of worn cloth. Anything to make a quilt to keep warm.

I love the quilt but not so much the turquoise border. MHO :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    Quilt it up, bind it, and use it for a great picnic quilt!! I had a customer bring me a similar one that her grandmother had made in the 60's-70's. Hideous fabrics to me, some of them 100% polyester. She had used newspaper to foundation piece it, and top-stitched all the seams... newsprint was flying everywhere!! So I spent an hour or two picking out the newspaper shreds, then quilted it with a large stipple, and it is surprising what a little texture will do to make a quilt come alive.
    I like that a lot!!!

I think the quilt is great just as it is. I have a few quilt tops very similar made by my grandmother during the 60's or 70's. She had no money so I guess this was her creative outlet using whatever she had. Enjoy it.

I think it's lovely.

Us oldies understand and would cherish it. There was no fabric to buy in our town when I was a child. It was feedsacs or someones large dress cut up to make a smaller one. Many people had quilts made out of old mens woolen pants and coats - talk about depressing. At least they were warm if you didn't get scratched too badly. Just as a aside, I had my first piece of bubble gum at age seven. There was not any during the war. Our world was very different from today. Maybe that is why I am such a fabric hog.

I like it! It would make a great beach blankie!

MNM

It is very 50's and quite colorful, I like it.

MNM

I have found that if I put in a light poly batt and use a flannel backing, the quilt is the coziest one that all grab for when hanging around. good luck

I love it, Just look at the uniqueness (is that a word) of this quilt,all the stories it could tell.....

Rae

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast