Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    here we go with a few pics. I added the turquoise border just to see how it looked...it helps a little.
    It looks better than I thought it might. What about using it to practise free motion quilting and use it for covering a picnic table when camping or other such uses that you wouldn't mind it getting dirty. :-D

Blog Entries
    Funny, Janice, I saw your post just after I posted mine! Let's see... great minds think a like! LOL

Blog Entries
    I love it! You could give it to me! LOL

Is it made from clothing she or someone else in the family used to wear? That's what it reminds me of. I have seen much worse...I don't think it's that awful! lol

Blog Entries
    I like it!

I like it.

Blog Entries
    I like it! Leave the border off and tie it. I think that would be charming. Put a fairly light batting in as this kind of quilt can be quite heavy. Use it and love it! Dani

i kinda like it.

How lucky you are! Just try to remember that when she made this top, quilters were not doing the things we are today with color, etc. I have inherited a LOT of quilt tops made by my MIL, Mom and Grandmom. Those Grandmother made were from the only fabric aailable - feed sacks, flower sacks and no longer wearable dresses,My MIL's were made using her lingerie - satins and lace, Mom's were utilitarian also. Would they win ribbons at a quilt show? No. But, to me, they are gorgeous and represent precious time spent on a farm - making do. I do hope you appreciate all the hard work that she did. It may become one of your absolute favorites! Thanks for sharing the photo! It's beautiful. :) :)

Blog Entries
    I had a neighbor who gave me and ugly quilt her mother had made. And like yours it was a real scrap quilt, plaids, cotton wool, ugly colors etc. She gave it to me for my HB to practice quilting on. He does all mine. But any way I said why don't we quilt it best as we can being beginners and then I will put a backing on and bind it and give it to my friend . Well anyway after it was quilted it looked very nice. I made a lable for the back in memory of your mom.Well needless to say she cried when I gave it to her, That made me happy.

I kinda like it too. I would never have put all those fabrics together but I don't think it's ugly. You're right, it has attitude... kind of like a bulldog does.

Ohhh, don't call it "ugly"...someone's hard work went into that; and maybe that was all they could obtain for fabrics. Not all are fortunate enough to have stash and must use what they have. Poor quilt...love it!!

I like your crappy scrappy so here's what you do. Quilt it anyway you want, bind it with the turquoise, put it in a really big zip lock bag, and send it to me!

We make a lot of quilts that look just like that from scraps that are donated to our church. We get together in the winter and tie them and they go to the homeless shelters or other missions. If you really don't want to do anything with it, you might be able to find a quilting group that would finish it and donate it to a mission.

I like it as well. It has character.

I wonder if the pieces of fabric came from clothing-I would ask the MIL if it's a "memory" quilt, she may have stories behid the scraps.

Blog Entries
    I LIKE IT - reminds me of one of my mother's - by all means quilt & keep or if you really hate it - i'll take it off your hands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TX GMimi
    How lucky you are! Just try to remember that when she made this top, quilters were not doing the things we are today with color, etc. I have inherited a LOT of quilt tops made by my MIL, Mom and Grandmom. Those Grandmother made were from the only fabric aailable - feed sacks, flower sacks and no longer wearable dresses,My MIL's were made using her lingerie - satins and lace, Mom's were utilitarian also. Would they win ribbons at a quilt show? No. But, to me, they are gorgeous and represent precious time spent on a farm - making do. I do hope you appreciate all the hard work that she did. It may become one of your absolute favorites! Thanks for sharing the photo! It's beautiful. :) :)
    I agree. It's a treasure when it's made by someone you love, no matter how it looks to you at first. I'm glad it's growing on you. Those vintage fabrics give us a little link to the past. Ahh...nostalgia.

I have been given 3 quilts that need lots of repairs and I don't even know how too start repairing any of them. Now one only has a border with torn off pieces or eaten off pieces. The others just need lots of repairs. Does anyone know anyone that does repairs or can tell me how too replace squares that are loose and the batting must be matted up cotton. I think 2 of them are very old

Blog Entries
    Don't know where you got the "ugly", I really like it!!1

Blog Entries
    I like it as well. It is homey. This was probably made from old clothing from a scrap bag. That is what my mom used to do when I was growing up. These types of quilts were made to use on the beds in the winter for warmth not looks.

sorry but i like it too. i bought one just like it in a garage sale, i quilted it by hand and it is the one i use daily to cover myself. i just love it.

I really like it. Quilting has evolved in the last twenty years. The designs are more and more complex, sometimes seeing a quilt that reminds me of the origins of the art is really refreshing.

PJO

I absolutely love it! If you don't want it, send it on to me!!

Tell you what I'm going to do with one I have like this. (It could be a dead-ringer for yours! LOL)

I am going to divide it into shawl-width pieces and applique vines, leaves, and flowers on it. I will then quilt, add a yarn fringe on each end, and give them to my three sisters, keeping one for myself!! Christmas!! Using all solids for vine, leaves, and flowers the background sqs. will be perfect! What do the rest of you think of this idea?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast