Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top?

It definatley calls for an all-over meander quilting. Maybe use variegated thread!

I like it! I like scrappy quilts..that's all there is to it. I thought it looked like one I have hanging on my wall and had to turn around and look at it, but mine is set on point and has red sashing in it, so nothing like it. Mine was made by one of my grandmothers, but I'm not sure which and of course, back then they didn't put labels on them, they just made them out of necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Hmmm....maybe it's just me, but I like it! :D Even better without the border!
    I like it too. If you don't want it then I'll take it haha. If you quilt it and use it for special ocassions with your kids then maybe it will be special to them and they will pass it on down with good memories to share. :D

I think that quilt is beautiful. Better than I have been able too do so far.

Blog Entries
    I really like it

I like it alot.

Power Poster
    I saw the picture and I actually think it is rather nice looking and I'm sure you can do something with it that will please her and you. Keep peace in the family if it is a true family.

I like scrappy, I kind of wonder if it is from her children's clothing or husband's and hers. Such an aray will match just about any room. I vote for finishing and I bet any kids around will love more than you!
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I have a quilt like that.. It has every kind of fabric and was put together with no thought of matching seams or color.. it's just an old fashioned quilt made from whatever was there at the moment..

I decided that I would finish it and then use it on the ground for a picnic blanket.. But it grew on me. It's not perfect, but it does reflect what my grandma had in her scrap bag. Now instead of using it on the ground, I keep it tucked away to pass on down to my kids and grandkids.

There won't ever be another one like this one, and there won't be anymore from my grandma, so it's special... it just took me a bit of time to see it's beauty.

I say go ahead and finish it up.. in the end you may find you've grown very fond of it after all!!

Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    This one is a real doozy. It was made in the 50's/60's. My MIL gave it to me to finish, but it is awful. It's scrappy, I call it crappy, with pastels, dark plaids, cartoon fabric, some polyester even. Should I hide it away somewhere or try to salvage it? I should mention, it is in perfect condition despite it's ugliness!
    I haven't read all of the posts, but I think the "crappy scrappy" is great! Put that border around it, quilt it, and use the heck out of it. I like the idea of a picnic quilt or a car quilt.

Dee
    I think it has character and is a pretty scrapy.

The Quilt on our bed was made by my bf's mother - if he ever leaves I keep the quilt! They lived near a shirt factory in the 50's & 60's and she used scraps thrown out - I love it, if he goes the quilt stays!

Blog Entries
    It really is not a bad quilt. I have learned to appreciate the scrappy quilts. Have you thought abound just binding it is black binding without a border at all. That would be clean and simple and not contrast with all the colors. Over the years you will probably grow to really love the scrappiness of the quilt.

I would definitely finish it. Just think where all of those scraps might have come from. I have several that my Grandmother made and my Mom recognized fabrics from her early school years clothing. They are treasures, and can be used so many ways.

Car quilt is perfect and if she asks where it went off too tell her that she could save your life in a winter jam with that nice warm comfy quilt in the trunk of your car!

This is really sad............I recognize a lot of those fabrics, had dresses out of some.................LORD do I feel old????????? VINTAGE?????? :mrgreen:

I absolutely love this (and the other so called "uglies" posted). This is precisely the kind of thing that got me inspired to start quilting....this is design, artistry and love at a grass-roots level. Please...please.. finish it (love the idea of turquoise border with a black binding) and then post pics.

Does she know the person who pieced the top? Does she have a sentimental attachment to the quilt top? IF NOT, and just felt guilty about not finishing it herself...I'd give myself permission to just let it go. IF she loves the maker of the quilt top...what about just doing "the tie thing" to quickly finish the quilt, and send it back to her to love and cherish. IF it means nothing to either of you...find it a new home. It think it's special...someone would love it. It is OK to find it a new home if neither of you wants to love and cherish the top. Anyway, that's just my two cents worth. Blessings!

Hmmmm? Ugly? Crappy?---looks like the one I'm making now...I guess it's named now---Crappy Scrappy! To each their own...I like it!!!!

Someone 50 years or so ago thought enough of these scraps to put them together and the top has a certain (unusual) charm. Hope you'll finish it and enjoy it. Make it nice and snuggly, tie it, and it will make a good cuddle quilt.

I love it!!!

I agree with Mrs Fitz, finish it up and tie it.

You will be surprised how the quilt will turn into one of the favorites the kids will all cuddle under and will fight over it to see who gets first dibs!

I really like it. Reminds me of the age of a quilt that my grandmother would have made.

you will be surprised at how much better it will look after you quilt it. I love scrappy quilts. I was just given 11 old quilt tops. I have quilted one of them and gave it to the person that gave me the tops. Her little daughter just loves it and keeps it in the car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    actually, she gave it to me to keep! It's almost charming how crazy it is!
    Actually, it is not as awful as I expected before seeing the pictures. You are under no obligation to finish it. Just put it away and never get around to finishing it. You know, "Oops, where did this come from?"

If you are asked about it, just tell her that you haven't gotten around to it yet. :) No one has to work on a quilt that doesn't bring them pleasure. That is my two bits worth!

Blog Entries
    It would make a good picnic or camping quilt!!!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast