Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with scraps?

Blog Entries
    I agree doing a string quilt.. the uglier the fabric strips as a whole, turns into fun with little scraps on the blocks.. I sometimes do color themed string quilts.. that is, using one predominant color ( say, purple) and I use those colors only , coupled with a cream, or lighter fabric as the sashing between blocks, or rows.. I love the versatility of ugly versus something fun.. Enjoy even the hideous - they are like diamonds , which begin as a piece of ugly charcoal..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    This is what you do with everything and anything you have. There was nothing too ugly to go into this quilt.
    That's Great !!! :D :D and I did LOL !

If any prints have lilies (my DD is Lily) I'll trade you for some nice calm solids!

kwhite, I love that quilt!! is there a pattern available somewhere?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSCrafter
    My aunt has given me a big stash of scraps. Lots of ugly fabric including tropical prints, southwesterns, and "granny" prints. Nothing goes together and it's driving me nuts. I'd love to make something but can't get over the lack of color coordination. (We're talking HIDEOUS fabrics from the 80's!) So, I need some help.

Should I go through everything and start cutting it into strips? If so, what width do you suggest? If've been looking at the scrap quilt patterns on quiltville.com and would love to do one of them... maybe if I view the fabrics in strips of light and dark I can organize my thoughts? Any suggestions? How do you get organized? Thanks!!
    Just yesterday I took a whole box of snippets (I mean a big plastic box w/lid) and I got out gallon plastic bags. Red went into red, pink into pink, orange etc., etc., and they are still in the big plastic box, but if I or any of my quilting friends needs a fabric piece, hey, there they are in colorific order in a box! I just lined up the colors - red, pink, orange, yellow, green, aqua, blue, violet, brown, black, white. It works for me - I wasn't able to eliminate a box or make room, but at least I can grab what I want fast. Edie

Might some of the fabric might be suitable for 'stack n whack' quilt blocks? If there's not too much "blank space" in the background, it could be very interesting and all the blocks look different but go together because they come from the same fabric, just different sections.

Good Morning,
    I bought a book called piece in the hoop & I make blocks out of scrapes. the scrapes are about 3''x 6 '' . It is called crazy patch block. Wish I had scrapes. You can find the book on amazon.com or searc pieceinthehoop.com Have a great day .. Shirley

great idea to make mats for shelters - also things like the Aunt Philly rugs are great out of really ugly fabric because only the color shows

I love this one! I've done the briad as a border, it never occured to me to use it as an entire quilt though.

When I felt overwhelmed with all my fabric I took scraps that were about 6" x 2" and sewed a quilt which I titled my "UGLY" quilt. Gave it for a cancer patient but all the
    ladies in group thought it was pretty. Seems I had sewn it in a pattern "Stacked Coin" or such --and I didn't even know that I had. Saw it in a picture last week and realized it really wasn't so ugly but I was glad to use up the fabric.

If you don't want to take your time to sew it for charity consider giving it to someone else who does. Not me --I have lots to do if I ever get off the computer here.
    Kwhite had good way to use pieces too-- I like that.

Wow! It's gorgeous! Hard to believe there were any ugly fabrics at all...

This is what you do with everything and anything you have. There was nothing too ugly to go into this quilt.

I was given a whole large garbage bag of scraps. I cut them into 1 1/2 in strips. I then found a book of wall hangings done in strips for every season and I have over the last year been able to make wonderful gifts for people with no cost/using this bag of scraps.
    Hope this helps!

If you have enough fabric, loud prints make beautiful kaliedoscope quilts. Each block turns out to be a surprise, with no 2 usually alike. Tropicals and southwestern prints are especially pretty for this technique.

I like to take my scraps and then find a solid or tone on tone fabric to use as a "constant". It brings some assemblance of order to the scraps. My avatar shows one I'm getting ready to quilt. I love working with scraps. It is a very freeing experience and I agree that once they are cut up the ungliness just goes away! Good luck and let us see what you come up with.

You could cut then into 2.5" squares and make scrappy 9-path quilt blocks. I am doing those right now and they all turned out awesome!

I just wanted to say that this quilt is AMAZING!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Cut into strips or stings and make a scrap quilt..........If your strips are narrow enough, the ugly will immediatley dissapear! This could be one of the nicest quilts you have ever made.

Blog Entries
    Definitely not.
    You should pack it all up and send to my house, let me help you out here, I'm just thinking of you here, ok?
    Not buying it, eh?

Seriously, I'm loving all the suggestions. You can make a ton of fabulous quilts out of these scraps!!

Anything with bright contrasting prints could work for a four patch posie.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
    You need four repeats for four patch posies though. If you have scraps you're not likely to have four repeats.

Charm quilts or one patch quilts any size are great. moosegirl

Triangle
    Name:  Attachment-76103.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  77.2 KB

half triangle
    Name:  Attachment-76104.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  60.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
    You need four repeats for four patch posies though. If you have scraps you're not likely to have four repeats.
    This is true -- thought some scraps may be bigger, especially your southwest and tropicals. I love the bedspread I made myself out of tropicals, but it did take a good bit of fabric for the bigger size.

I cut ugly fabric into one inch strips and am making a ladder crocheted rug. Amazing how beautiful all the colors are when run together

I am making one of the scrap quilts from Quiltsville right now. Some of the fabrics I have are hideous but when cut in strips and sewn with others, the quilt is wonderful. I try to pick one dominate color (on this particular quilt it's red) and make sure that each block has at least one strip of red. When it's done, that dominate color gives some unity to the quilt. Also, we make prayer quilts at our church and they are usually approximately 50" x 60" quilts made from 5 1/4" squares and they are all made from scraps (because we try not to buy anything but muslin backing and the batting...most of the fabric is donated). Again, we try to pick a dominate color and once you put a border or two that kinda goes with the dominate color, they are quite beautiful. One lady I took lessons from told me to always put in one ugly fabric in my scrap quilts and I try to mind her instructions.

When I "inherit" a bag or box of scrap fabric, I got through it and pick out what I "like" then cut the rest into 2 1/2" strips, or squares of whatever size I can get from a scrap. Put these all into plastic bins and when a bin gets full, just start sewing. A really neat quilt can be made using strips sewn onto a large background square. Sew and flip style. The first strip lays RST on the diagonal of the background square. Sew the seam and flip it over the background, add another strip until half the square is in strips. Square up and you have a block done. We do this a lot for charity quilts that we donate to people who are ill or have had a fire or other disaster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast