Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What to do with scraps?

Quote Originally Posted by SHayes
    And remember what Bonnie says... if it is still ugly, you haven't cut it small enough!
    absolutely!! check out the string for the "omigosh" quilt. it is strip pieced, and the strips start out as 1" i got some ugly stuff in mine!

Blog Entries
    I love scrap quilts.. they are always a surprise. Most of the quilts I make are scrap, because that's mostly what I have to work with!

quiltville is such a great site for lots of scrap quilt patterns. I love them because they are fast and go together easily.

SO Exactly how did you do this for us newbies? I can`t quite figure it out.I like it a lot and could do a little at a time.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    My grandmother never had money to buy fabric..She had to use scraps that anyone would give her and also used feed sacks..She made some of the prettiest quilts using tiny diamond shapes...also she made string quilts..These were odd size strips sewn onto paper foundations [usually newspaper ]..these were made into larger diamond shapes...Some of the fabrics were less than desirable...but when put together they became beautiful !!!!!

That is amazing! I am inspired to keep cutting my scraps into strips and giving this a try. You could but a solid between strips and make a big, gorgeous bed quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgray
    They would also look good made into mats for animal shelters.
    for sewgray: I have been thinking of making mats for the ASPCA and wonder what size you have been making yours?

Quote Originally Posted by KSCrafter
    My aunt has given me a big stash of scraps. Lots of ugly fabric including tropical prints, southwesterns, and "granny" prints. Nothing goes together and it's driving me nuts. I'd love to make something but can't get over the lack of color coordination. (We're talking HIDEOUS fabrics from the 80's!) So, I need some help.

Should I go through everything and start cutting it into strips? If so, what width do you suggest? If've been looking at the scrap quilt patterns on quiltville.com and would love to do one of them... maybe if I view the fabrics in strips of light and dark I can organize my thoughts? Any suggestions? How do you get organized? Thanks!!
    You could always send them to me!!!-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I give all my scraps to one of the ladies in my guild. She makes animal beds out of them for the local Humane Society.

I do a lot of applique so save all my scraps and beg for leftover scraps from my friends who quilt. I'm working on a fused wildflower quilt now and it's amazing how just a little bit of a fabric that I would never buy makes a beautiful leaf or flower petal.

I saved fabric scraps for years. I finally made I scrappy quilt made of tiny triangles. it sure was a challange but the end result was amazing. someday I will post it. it still need to have the border and binding added to it. then quilt it. I have not decited what border and binding to use. Good luck.

Donna :lol:

Blog Entries
    How about a Scrappy Bargello? Here's the web address for Quiltville's version:

http://quiltville.com/scrapbargello.shtml

This I am going to do. It will be just right for my recliner to throw over my legs while hand sewing.Thanks for the website.
    Beautiful quilt

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What about a sampler, a lot of people are doing the farmers wife sampler on the board. I even get to do it, because I had a quilt angel mail me a book. and I get to dive in the scraps I have now. Ya for me! Sorry but I am excited to do this, I love all the blocks on it, and this way you would not get board, and you just have to match your main fabric. which makes it easy to use all your scraps. OK I am done rambling now :-D God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by domaema
    I saved fabric scraps for years. I finally made I scrappy quilt made of tiny triangles. it sure was a challange but the end result was amazing. someday I will post it. it still need to have the border and binding added to it. then quilt it. I have not decited what border and binding to use. Good luck.

Donna :lol:
    Could you post it. I'd love to see your quilt. I have a lot of triangle scraps.

Thank you for the comments and ideas. I sat down this weekend and started to cut some of my pieces into strips. I'm still very discouraged though... Most of the scrappy patterns I like the most look like they all need to be jewel tones, or at least a coordinating color family.

I do like the Weed Whacker pattern though. I'm sure I'll come up with something! I just need to get over my color issues and go for it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy
    You may not like my suggestion, but if I had a huge pile of scraps that didn't go together at all, I think I would willingly, and purposely put them all together and make the ugliest quilt possible - simply to always be able to laugh at and show off as one of my favorite projects due to how funny it looks.
    WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!

I would not cut the fabric up into strips. This may prevent their use later. Maybe a crazy quilt would work.

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!THAT MAKES ME SPEACHLESS. GREAT JOB

My mother always said to buy the ugliest piece of fabric, and it would makeup the prettiest dress.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    This is what you do with everything and anything you have. There was nothing too ugly to go into this quilt.
    how did you do this? it is great!

I made this one with my scraps....It's a quilt as you go and I did a tutorial on how to do it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it a quilt as you go pattern. I have made some like that and I love them. Good Job

VERY NICE.

I read your tutorial, it was very clear!

Blog Entries
    Here's an ugly fabric K size quilt with flannel back. Also made 2 sofa throws & a couple table runners.

Kids love flannel back quilts,flannel anything!

http://image53.webshots.com/53/1/13/...0PlJKVU_ph.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4