Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What to do with scraps?

I made alot of these and made a new piece of fabric then took a sweatshirt apart and then cut and attached to sweatshirt pieces then put back together. It made beautiful jacket.

That is a beautiful quilt. I love the scrappy kind. Thats about all I make anymore.

Blog Entries
    I had oodles of scraps and inherited bags of them. Some were quite nice, and then the rest (yuk). I cut up blocks from an old sheet and sewed the scraps on, as for a crazy quilt. Black sashing around each blocks and a narrow black border and it was unbelievale. It was astonishing that those scraps made such a beautiful throw. Now I'll take the rest and make lap quilts for the nursing home.

Separate them first by prints, then by how they read....a green is a green, blues are blues. then go to lights and darks. If this works for you make some logcabin blocks or even miniatures. If this doesn't work use them as linings for bags or think of making lap quilts, great to learn from and give they to charities.

Separate them first by prints, then by how they read....a green is a green, blues are blues. then go to lights and darks. If this works for you make some logcabin blocks or even miniatures. If this doesn't work use them as linings for bags or think of making lap quilts, great to learn from and give they to charities.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Someone posted a BEAUTIFUL scrappy quilt on here this morning but I don't remember the name of the thread. It had two strips of color sewn together, each end cut at a 45 degree angle and a white triangle sewn on. Three strips made up each block and each block was turned differently. I'll bet you could do the same thing and it would be really pretty. Click on Search then type in Scrappy and just see what comes up. If you look closely at some of the fabric used in scrappy quilts you'll be surprized at how ugly it is yet in when you put a bunch together it turns out to be gorgeous.
    I think it was called weed whacker. http://www.quiltville.com/weedwhacker.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    If any prints have lilies (my DD is Lily) I'll trade you for some nice calm solids!
    I have some scraps with lilies. Do you want scraps?

Quote Originally Posted by moosegirl
    Charm quilts or one patch quilts any size are great. moosegirl
    Love them Moose. They are so happy!

community benefactor
    What about a Dear Jane?

Blog Entries
    I give all my scraps to my sister in law. She makes crazy quilt blocks out of them and sells them on ebay for .99 each. If I forget she just comes over and goes thru my waste basket in my sewing room. Love her to death. Jeannie

Dee
    That scrap quilt looks pretty good. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    This is what you do with everything and anything you have. There was nothing too ugly to go into this quilt.
    here is one that I made like that

Pioneer braid
    Name:  Attachment-75617.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  57.7 KB

This is what you do with everything and anything you have. There was nothing too ugly to go into this quilt.
    I had a different suggestion but when I saw this, I thought that this was THE perfect project. I think this quilt is pretty. I like all the colors.

You could also do I Spy quilts and maybe donate them somewhere. I would like to buy some of your western fabrics if you want to get rid of them. PM me if you are interested.

don't be in a hurry to cut them up. press them, fondle them,get to know some of them---look at lots of patterns and pictures. something will come to you and it will be wonderful.
    putting some new fabric with as blenders or backgrounds, etc.
    will totally change the looks.or add red or some consistent
    color in the same place on each big block, etc. you don't want to cut all into strips and then find a pattern that takes 4" pieces. there are so many vintage patterns available for looking & downloading on the internet. good luck !

Please consider sewing your "ugly" scraps together, layer and quilt. Then present to a local charity to give to those who are less fortunate than we.

Power Poster
    I'm with bottle blonde. This truely does work out well.

I too love the string quilt idea. Any fabric works really good. Good luck. You are lucky to get the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyB
    here is one that I made like that
    I love this. I guess I can find a pattern online. I will look tomorrow.

Weedwhacker quilt is fabulous and great for scraps to get rid off.
    I made a vow to do these quilts all next week.
    I am so excited after months of "don't know what to do with these scraps" and running all over the internet to find a pattern.
    Now where was I before I was on this message board?

I have begun doing paper piecing. You can use the tiniest scraps for a bit of color - even ugly!

You ladies sure know how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Love your quilts.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    One of the most liberating projects I've ever done was a string quilt. You can find great examples at quiltville.com.

The smaller you cut the pieces the more you like them. The ugliness disappears like magic! Throw the cut pieces in a bag and pull them out without looking - sew them together - you will be surprised at nice it turns out.
    This sounds like a great idea. There are also people on this site who would love the scraps, even if you think they are ugly. You may want to offer them to the people on line here.

Tanks for quiltville site. Very nice.

Do you hand applique? I even use parts of old pillow pre-printed fabric, parts of the borders, or even a valentine fabric. pinks,yellows,blues,reds, for flowers.....the browns and greens for stems and leaf.....once you look at the fabric as "color" it will begin to make since.....I had a polar bear fat quarter, I used the blue sky for flowers and the tan of the bear for the center of the flower, etc. It will look beautiful. Have fun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast