Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy at Quilt Shows? >

What do you buy at Quilt Shows?

What do you buy at Quilt Shows?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 AM

I'm going on a bus trip to my first quilt show in Jacksonville at the end of September. I am sure I will be overwhelmed and better check my budget before I go.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 AM

I do the "whatever catches my eye" shopping. A couple of weeks ago I went to the Redmond expo before being bussed to the Sisters Quilt show and bought a cute Christmas wool kit that I've never seen anywhere else and a couple of patterns that were new to me. In Paducah I went crazy, bought Eleanor Burns book and quilt kit after going to her show and downloading coupons I saved about $40 on both! And bought a who carry on suitcase full of fabrics because everything was at such a greatly reduced price!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 AM

I usually enjoy looking at all the project demos. If I really like something I will buy it, but lots of time just a pattern or two, maybe some special fabric. I have too much "Stuff" already.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 AM

I have gone to only one quilt show and it was in Paducah, KY. I bought a Flynn quilting frame, some fabric, some sewing notions, some embroidery software and a Bernina sewing machine. I had a great time and my DH encouraged me to purchase all the items.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 AM

I haven't found any terrific fabric buys much inside the quilt shows I've attended (so far) but shopping in the area's fabric/quilt shops seems to be where you find the real bargains. I've found good deals on thread and patterns. I am pretty set for tools but it doesn't hurt to look! If you are interested in getting on mailing lists for things, take premade address labels for yourself. That saves a lot of time. You can make these yourself or use those that come in charity solicitations in the mail.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:54 AM

I'm so excited. I talked to my SIL yesterday and was telling her about all these posts. Well, to make a long story short, she's wanting to start quilting again, like all of us life got in the way, and wants to come down here and go to the Houston international quilt festival with me this year. She was really impressed when I told her there was a men's section for our hubby's. don't know if they'll go or not. Mine has trouble with his back and my brother has trouble with his legs. All well, they'll probably be more comfortable at the house and we won't have any quilting police on our heels.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 AM

The Houston Quilt show is awesome. The vendor side is so wonderful I usually don't have time for the exhibits. You can't do both in one day...not possible. I usually have some gadgets in mind. There is a vendor there each year (Fabric Fanatics) that has good prices on batiks. Of course, I can't pass up something there. Just dress comfortably and be prepared to walk, walk, walk.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 AM

It's my dream to go to Houston!! I will make it happen maybe next year. Have fun Misty!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 AM

I occasionally go looking for a particular fabric, otherwise, I get whatever fabric looks too good to pass up. Every fre years, my Alto's Quilt Cut needs a new mat, so I get that at the Pacific International Quilt Fest. Mostly, I look for good deals on prewound bobbins in neutral colors and buy several dozen. And books...not quilting books per se, but usually reading books by Jennifer Chiaverini and Earlene Fowler (two of my favorite authors!)
Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 AM

I always look at my stash and see what's missing as well as see if the next quilts I want to make have enough fabric. I then feel comfortable looking for what I need as well as pick up things that just catch my eye. Sometimes I take a pattern with me and buy the fabric. Paducah and Hancock of Paducah are two very dangerous places to go because the whole place is just a blooming "buy me !" area. I have so much fun at quilt week in Paducah, love it.