Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you buy at Quilt Shows?

What do you buy at Quilt Shows?

I'm headed to Hershey tomorrow with my guild on a bus trip to the quilt show. I'm thinking about what I want to buy, what I'm looking for and what I need. I asked my friend this question and she said nothing in particular and that was dangerous! Hahaha! I know one thing whatever money I take with me won't be coming home with me!

Do you go to shows with a list or a plan or do you buy whatever catches your fancy?
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    I plan on picking up some thread from superior, some pantographs and look at some rulers. I carry a tote bag with the rule that once it is full I am done shopping.......btw, you can stuff alot of things into a tote bag

A lot of the booths there have special pricing, so it would save money and allow me to buy more.....sigh, this is very dangerous

A bit of both ....

I went to Paducah one year and specifically wanted a large cutting mat, the "clear" type. Got a good deal on one made by Beba.

I also went with a shopping trip to Hancock's of Paducah high on my list as I heard the sales were to die for (and they were!).

I went to DesMoines another year specifically to see the Egyptian quilters and their quilts, and hopefully purchase one. I bought TWO!!

All the other shows I went to (as well as the two above), I also made purchases of things that just caught my fancy. With the exception of purchasing the fabric in Paducah at Hancocks and other shops outside of the "show", I don't buy cotton quilting fabric at the vendors in the show. I've not seen prices that are any cheaper than I can get at my LQS.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

It depends. Sometimes I have a certain fabric theme that I look for such as when I made an all polk a dot quilt. Sometimes I just wait to see what moves me! At one show this year I ended up buying some special pendants to be made into a necklace and I don't even make jewelry I have band myself from buying anymore specialty rulers, I've learned they are not for me. Have fun, don't stress!

Blog Entries
    What a great question!!! I'm headed from Mexico (where quilting notions are not to be found) to the Atlanta, Ga show in Mid Sept. It'll be my first one. Since I'm relatively new to quilting, I'm debating Amazon buys or wait until I see what to get at the show. I'd like opinions about which place to buy the Brother PQ1500S - Amazon or wait for the quilt show? How about notions?
    Barbara
    Life is a coin, You can spend it anyway you wish,
    But you can only spend it once!

I always take 2 list, my I need list, and my want list. My need list has things like needles, bobbins, and thread for my long arm. Thing's that I will have to order because they are not carried locally. I put the price for these items on the list too, including shipping. A few times I have just come home and ordered it anyway. because the show price and the order price including shipping were the same. It depends on which vendor I deal with at the show. My want list is for those thing's I have seen and really would like to try but just can't bring myself to pay the price for, and think I may find less costly at the show. RIGHT what was I thinking? LOL While at the show if I see something I think I want I make a note of cost,what it is, and what booth it is in. After making the rounds, I sit down have something to eat and a cold drink, than ask myself, do I really want it and would I use it. This cuts down on impulse buying. Not as much buyers remorse on the trip home. LOL

Mostly gadgets and patterns I can't find locally, sometimes fabric but thats rare unless I have a project in mind. I also tend to buy kits I can't find locally.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I would take my iPad and compare prices online after I left the booth, of course. If it was a bargain I'd go back, if not no problem.

I do buy unusual type fabrics at quilt shows things I don't see everywhere. I have a list of needs, but if something sends me over the moon I forget about the needs list. LoLol

I like to talk to people too, I had a nice discussion with John Flynns daughter about the virtues of 301A sewing machines at the last show I attended. She was piecing on a 301 exactly like mine. She was a very sweet person.
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Friend of mine takes her iPad with her. We went to one here in February! She compared the prices at the show with what she would find on her iPad. She has her iPad in one hand and credit card in the other. She even makes a list on the iPad on Evernote. She works that thing like nobody's business.

I always look for hand-dyed fabrics, especially bright colors. Can't find them anywhere near where I live, and I love being able to look (and buy!) the variegated hand-dyes. Seeing them in person is so much better than looking at them online. Oh, and I always stop at the Cherrywood Fabrics booth - I adore their fabrics!

I take my list of things I've seen on line or in a magazine that I want to look at (and possibly buy) - notions, tools, rulers etc. I may not necessarily buy these things for a variety of reasons such as:
    - found they didn't seem as appealing when I could actually look at them
    - thought they weren't worth what the dealers were asking for them
    - ran out of money because I bought other stuff.
    Or I may buy them after looking at them.
    For fabric, I used to buy alot of fat quarters but recently I have stopped doing this unless the fabric has a purpose (ie vs adding to my stash of FQ). Now I will buy a kit or some 1-2 meter or yard cuts instead as it seems more useable. Very rarely I buy a charm pack or a jelly roll etc.
    I try and leave my pocket book and my mind open to new gadgets, tools, patterns and fabric.
    My test of whether I purchase or not is "how unhappy will I be if I don't buy this today" or "how likely am I to see this again" Often, if something is new on the market, I know I will see it in my LQS in a few months.
    Have a great time and enjoy the experiences. Seeing the wonderful works and the variety of work presented makes the quilt shows worthwhile regardless of what I buy (or don't buy)

I like to look with an open mind, but also have a few things in mind before I get there. This year I purposely didn't go to the Hershey show because I've put myself on a spending budget and I just got some things last weekend. I am not tempted by fabric, whatsoever. I've been organizing my fabric and I'm deeply embarrassed by how much I already have. Oh, it's probably not as much as some, but for me, it's far too much. I am tempted by rulers, both for cutting and for my long arm. I usually find good prices on thread, but both can wait.

I look for things that are fairly unique. Specialty fabrics, particularly cats or music. Wooden quilt blocks as pendants, earrings, Christmas Ornaments.

Blog Entries
    I went to the Hershey show on Thursday with a short list. I wanted more of the Clover Wonder Clips (I love them), but only one vendor had a 10 pack for $10.+ and I wanted a new Micron pen - nobody had them. My favorite notions vendor was not there...bummer. I came home and got online. The Micron pen was on Ebay for $3.45 with free shipping and my clips were also on Ebay - 50 for $15.39 and free shipping.

So at the show I only bought 2 yards of clearance fabric ($7.00 a yard) for a pending project. Now I have enough yardage to finish it. And a fleece jacket with a quilt block embroidered on it for $24.00. Nothing else really "spoke" to me.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I buy things I can't find locally. I hate that feeling of remorse that I didn't get it while I could

Sunnie your pups are beautiful!! I rescue boxers! Love love love dogs!

sorry off topic lol back to our regular programing!

Susan

For me that is the fun part, I have no idea what I will buy. Love all the new goodies!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    The last quilt show I went to I came home with a vintage Singer 404 for $5 and a pair of earrings. I guess I go to see quilts, not shop.

I went to a one-stop quilt shop hop today. There were 28 different shops represented. I carried a tote bag I had made in a class several years ago (my daughter calls it my Mary Poppins bag) because I can put so much in it! When my friend and I first arrived at the site, we walked completely through and looked at all the booths. As we went, we jotted down things we saw that we were interested in and which booth we saw them in. I try not to purchase things that I can readily purchase at my favorite LQS. Today I purchased a panel to make a fabric book for my granddaughter and a farm animal quilt kit that I will make for her (her farm animal sound book is her favorite...she will be 1 next week). I also picked up a couple pieces of embroidery software. I generally go to get ideas and if I find something unique, I will get it. One thing I do is I take cash and when it is gone, I'm done buying. That helps me not spend too much making impulse buys. Cash makes the checking out process go faster, as well. I also snap a lot of pictures with my cell phone. That helps me remember special things I really liked...but I always do ask permission before I take pictures.
    Last edited by Pam B; 07-26-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Anything that catches my fancy and fits my budget.....I never regret....it is about the whole experience for me. Plus, I like instant gratification....no waiting just for a lower price...

I go to Mid-Atlantic in Hampton, VA in February with a friend. Our rule seems to be to walk through and see everything first. Then walk it again and look more closely at things we liked. Lunch break. The third time we walk it, we usually buy what we decided to get on the previous rambles. Then if we feel we've missed anything, we do it again. I don't take a list, she does. Whatever we do, we have a great time, buy some fun things and fabrics to add to our stashes, and get good exercise doing it! I look forward to it every year!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I've only been to one (in Wichita, this year), and I bought fabric, some quilting gloves, some of those easy thread needles, and a book. Mostly fabric. I used some of it today.

I purchased books I know I can't get at my LQS ,and notions just new to the market. I've purchased two kits that I fell in love with - in fabrics and color combinations I knew would never be available at my LQS. My favorite place for vendor mall is the Houston Quilt Festival. This year I'm going to Des Moines and looking forward to it immensely. I'm hoping to find something do with hexies.

Money is very tight, so I set a cash budget and stick to it. I only buy what speaks to me at a good price that I can't buy locally, and rarely buy anything on my first pass through the Vendors. Quilts in the show give great inspirations for patterns and fabric, so I see the show first. In better times I bought what I liked- within reason- as I know it's a tremendous amount of hard work for the Vendors to haul in and haul out, in addition to booth fees, staffing, transportation, bookkeeping, etc. I honestly don't see how they can break even, and if they aren't supported they won't do the shows. Before the internet exploded with options my shopping was "buy it when you see it". I do make note of the locations of the Real World shops in hopes I'll have time to visit, and I'll tell them I saw their booth at the show. I love scrappy sewing, so something has to be really interesting to hop into my large stash or pattern box. I carry a list of things I need and fabric swatches for coordination. Don't forget to oogle the quilted totes and clothes of the crowd and give compliments freely. I usually go to show with friends or sisters, and we share! You may splurge a bit more when shopping at the show, but I agree with Alikat 110- it's part of the experience.
    Don't forget a tote bag!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast