Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you consider a scrap?

Anything over an inch square. BUT let me explain here, I have a friend who does mini piecing, so she will use things as small as 3/4" cut (finishing 1/4") so all my scraps (anything under about 5" square) goes into a bag and she gets them several times a year. Its really neat to see what she uses the small pieces to create.

Please go to quiltville.com. She is the Scrap Queen! Read her ideas for saving different size scraps.

anything bigger than lint.

I think I'm with ptquilts. I save everything. I recently made an applique quilt with kittens and puppies and hated buying a FQ to make the inner ears of 3-4 blocks. I needed maybe a 3 x 3 inch square of fabric. The rest is in my stash--a win win I guess.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    It all depends on what the person wants to accomplish with them. I save everything that is big enough get applique from and larger for blocks and strips

I keep it all.

Blog Entries
    I'm a real "scrapper". I love scrap quilts, I love applique quilts. I save everything. Just started a spiderweb strip quilt. You can use pieces as small as 1" x 1 1/2" if you wish. (I don't usually save pieces 'that' small!

I save it all. I love crazy quilting, applique, patchwork, scrappy, dimentionational art so there isn't much I can't use.

Blog Entries
    I keep scraps about 4x 4... they make great I Spy quilts for the children in the hospital....especially if I can find children fabric....if anyone has extra children fabric send it my way....this could be a great resource...

Blog Entries
    I am fortunate enough to have a friend who does minitures. What I call a scrap, she calls yardage!

Quote Originally Posted by ckp11271
    It's different for everybody, but for me, I need a piece big enough to cut a 2" square from, or if it is a strip, I will save it down to 1" wide - to use for string blocks.

I have a sister that does applique though, and she saves very very small pieces.
    Same here for paper piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    3/4"--the small ones are great for crumb blocks!
    What are crumb blocks?

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    I'm having a hard time deciding what scraps to keep and what to toss. I can't keep all of them. How big does a scrap have to be for you to keep it?
    your question implies a scrap heap..OR a heap o' scraps...
    a "scrap" is a leftover & i NEVER need a decision to KEEP it or not!!!! they're ALL keepers!

BUT, if YOU "can't KEEP all of them", there are plenty of takers on the board who would be grateful to get them!

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    A scrap to me IMHO is anything less than a FQ and larger than 2x2

a 2x2 i consider a postage stamp ....

and 1x1 is a crumb..

anything smaller is stuffing..
    I like your answer, had not heard the crumb size used before but it's a great discription, I keep anything crumb size and above. log cabin quilts use up a lot of crumb sizes for center blocks, or what I call string quilt patterns do also.

I just started to use iron on applique, so if a scrap has left over applique paper on it, I keep it in my scrap bag. I started doing a mini quilt after many yrs. not quilting. Slowly I'am getting the hang of things again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosquera
    I just started to use iron on applique, so if a scrap has left over applique paper on it, I keep it in my scrap bag. I started doing a mini quilt after many yrs. not quilting. Slowly I'am getting the hang of things again.
    What a good idea! I used to just toss them but now that I'm going to be doing more applique I'll definitely save them. Thanks for the tip! :mrgreen:

Please do not toss. If you do not know anyone who is a scrappy quilter or does applique to pass them on to, use them for stuffing for comfort blankets at the local animal shelter. If all else fails, bag them up and donate to a thrift store. Thanks.

anything smaller is stuffing..[/quote]

Thank you!!! I never thought of that, but I am going to do that now!! I have a pattern for a really cute xmas elf, and this will save me on the stuffing! Thanks!!!! Virg

I think it's Marti Michell who is famous for saying that a scrap is "any fabric that I haven't used yet, even if it is 5 yards long."

I don't use scraps, but I will save them and pay it forward.
    I'm in the process of filling up a 5 gallon pail.

Some people even keep the selvage edge. I've seen purses, quilts, even lampshades made out of them!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    I'm having a hard time deciding what scraps to keep and what to toss. I can't keep all of them. How big does a scrap have to be for you to keep it?
    I am saving the tiniest of scraps to make this with the grandkiddos:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/137329478/

OK, now I have to tell you a story. DH and I make scrappy quilts and for years there were three different ladies who made quilts wholesale and saved all their scraps for us. We're talking garbage bags full here. One is particular would fill up our car.

DH started making tiny piece quilts with squares less than 3/4".
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-79481-1.htm

We met another lady who had seen his tiny piece quilts and who had a LQS. She said, several times, Oh I will save my scraps for you. One day we came in the shop and she said, Oh I have a bag of scraps for you. And came out from the back with a small ziploc bag, partially filled with little pieces. We both smiled and said, thank you very much. I would like to say when we got back in the car, we said, Bless her heart, but we were both laughing too much. But we did use her scraps!

Blog Entries
    As I am (today) organizing my stash, the smaller pieces are either 2 1/2" squares or strips. If it's smaller than a fat quarter, I'll cut it to fit either of those measurements.

Blog Entries
    Some days I just feel like stitching any small scraps of fabric together and make scrappy doll quilts, pillow covers, scrapy wall hangings for my porch, etc. I love to see these tiny pieces of scraps come to life as a piece of usable fabric. I gladly take anyone's scraps!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast