Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: what do you do with all the quilts you make?

I have made some for family, son, brothers, mother. I have to make one for my daughter and then her husband. I keep most of the quilts I make that aren't for a special person. I just have a hard time thinking of giving them away. I have some lap quilts I could donate but we shall see. I usually make full sized quilts and do put them out to admire and change often.
    I guess I'm a hoarder when it comes to the quilts I make.

I have given quilts to our kids, grandkids,friends,family, Granddaughter in Law, Great Granddaughters almost 2, and to someone I think needs a quilt. I'm quilting a pinwheel and sunflower quilt this weekend for a friend's Mother of my Granddaughter who is undergoing treatments for brain cancer. I hope it will bring her some comfort and warmth, if Fall ever shows up here.

i have the coldest kids in the history of the world. as many as i give them, they pile on top of themselves. i have 2 that we use. those are all kings. we all also have queen sized quilts on the walls and i've given one twin wall hanging to my sister (never again) and twin ones to my only great-nephew. smaller, less intricate ones as baby gifts. some other simpler large bed quilts as wedding and birthday gifts. some just sit in the linen closet, unused until someone wants them, including two matching doubles that i made for two twin beds in a vacation house we don't have any more. i also have a bunch of panel baby quilts in the cedar closet waiting for not-so-special people's babies. for charity, i make donations of money. no charity has ever turned it down.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine have been for family so far, and the doll quilt swap, God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I have no idea what it costs me to make a quilt.

Have been quilting and buying fabric since the mid 70s and have probably over 1000 yards (it's taken over every room and hall in the house except for the bathroom and kitchen).
    Am in the process of selling off alot of it.
    One of these days I'll list yardage on the Board.

I make quilts for me, my family, friends, charity and for sale by commission.
    If you happen to have any "Snoopy" Fabric that you are not going to use I would love to buy it from you! :)

I make most quilts because I like the pattern. I love making baby quilts and have made many to give as gifts. I make quite a number of Linus quilts. In the past I have made up King size quilts, but I now find I cannot handle these very well, the awkward part being the layering, so now it is mostly lap quilts. Some of these are for gifts, but I have not seen many I have given as gifts being used, so I am a bit choosey who I now give to. I just love the making and quilting, especially hand quilting. I have three different quilts on the go at the moment. All for me.

I also have very little idea of what a quilt costs me to make although I would hazard a guess and estimate around $300 not including my time as fabrics over here are expensive. Most of the quilts I have made have been given away to family and friends however I also make quilts which are donated to various events as raffle prizes (example this year I raffled a quilt for the cancer assoc) and have also made cot quilts which are donated to Red Cross then sold to raise money for the children's hospital.

I quilt for the enjoyment of doing so.

Maybe1day

With the high cost of quilting materials, don't you wonder how quilters can make a queen-size quilt and sell it on Etsy for $300? Because many people DO! What about the time it takes to make it? Isn't your time worth something?

Just bought fabric for a 45 x 69 lap quilt for my 92 year old father in law form Joanns. Cost about $85 not including the thread. Doesn't include labor.

I never thought about it until now but if you were making that for charity that is a sizeable donation. What would you estimate for labor costs? Wonder what the IRS says about this kind of donation?!

I don't know how people price labor... that's a good question! But fabric that is NOT on sale usually averages $9.00 per yard. When you figure the front and back of the quilt needs fabric, and the quilt needs a batting and thread, that sure adds up!

I give mine away to family members. It'll be a long time before I can give to anybody else. I have a BIG family.

I have made quilts for many reasons. Many I have made were therapy for me. After the death of my mother from Alzheimers, I made a queen size quilt every month for 5 months. Looking back at them now, you can see the grieving process working itself out in me through the colors and patterns I worked with. Those quilts are priceless to me. I have made quilts for my 4 children and 8 grandchildren, parents-in-law and for friends. I have made quilted purses and sold them but I do find it hard to properly price items.

I wrote about the quilts I have made and who for. Reading the one about loosing her mother. I know that is why I have been sewing and sewing. I lost my husband this July due to cancer. I sewed alot while he was in the hospital and recuperating and now I'm finishing things. I think it is, I need to finish what I have started, like I need to finish to go on. This may not make sense to anyone but it is the only way I can express it. Sorry about your mom and take care. I guess we all deal with things differently but quilting has been a god send for me.

I make quilts for family, friends and for 2 charity orgnizations.

Quote Originally Posted by mortinarose
    I wrote about the quilts I have made and who for. Reading the one about loosing her mother. I know that is why I have been sewing and sewing. I lost my husband this July due to cancer. I sewed alot while he was in the hospital and recuperating and now I'm finishing things. I think it is, I need to finish what I have started, like I need to finish to go on. This may not make sense to anyone but it is the only way I can express it. Sorry about your mom and take care. I guess we all deal with things differently but quilting has been a god send for me.
    So sorry that you lost your DH but think you're on the right track finishing up the projects you were working on when he was in hospital and recuperating, I feel quilting can help us work through the difficult and sad times of our lives. May in Jersey.

I have never made a quilt and kept it for myself. Most of my quilts go to people at work who need some comfort in their lives, the rest go to family members. I have a lot of people who donate fabric to the cause, so I really have no idea how much it costs me.

If I were to guess I would say materials cost about $80 for a 48 x 60 quilt.

I make and give baby quilts as shower gifts for family and close friends. I make lap quilts for friends and family. I have several quilts that my mom made, so I have yet to make a quilt for myself. My daughters are asking for lap quilts for Christmas, so I need to get busy!

Banned
    A pity you in UK can't get to Aberkan in N Wales which is a fabric/wool/haberdashery warehouse ,they do have other shops in other areas but not as large, the quilt fabric is sold both by the yard [2.99---4.99] and pieces sold by the weight at 14.25 kg -xmas22.25 kg which is SO much cheaper than quilt shops, go yrly and got backing for 3 quilt tops 44"x 68" ish for 17.50 and wadding cheaper too.

To donate a quilt or get free fabric for a quilt face and instructions as to how to make check out /url www.quiltsfokids.com /url . Phone # 215-295-5484; mailing address, Quilts for Kids, Inc, 11 Effingham Road, Yardley PA 19067

Blog Entries
    i've donated over 150 quilts, twin or bigger. one year, i made 50 in a series to donate to a local childrens hospital. this year i did an i spy and baby, and have two more inthe works, it's a slow year for me.

Blog Entries
    I made the first one for me, the next one for MIL, daughter, son, and then I started surprising friends. It is such fun to surprise someone (like, mailing a box to them with a quilt in it)..and I do tons of quilts for PROJECT LINUS. Right now, I am doing one to say THANK YOU to a friend on mine, who has loaned me one of his clarinets to play (Mine is in the repair shop and I play with 4 different groups, so had to have a horn!!) I find that most everyone really appreciates getting one and I love to surprise them!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3