Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do first at a quilt show? >

What do you do first at a quilt show?

What do you do first at a quilt show?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM

I'm with sewnoma - take a quick look so I can then plan my attack. However, due to experience last year, I am going to make it a point to look at the quilts early in the show when it is less crowded. Last year when I went back to really look at them, it was really crowded. Although there are tons of vendors, I'm really only interested in a limited number of things - new gadgets mostly.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Neither. First thing, I try to find where the restrooms are .
Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM

I see the quilts first. I hardly ever buy at the vendors. I like to be able to step back and peruse the fabric. With the crowds it is difficult to do that. Also many vendors only bring pre-cuts. Or the fabric is stacked in such a way that it is not easy to view and have something 'grab' my attention. If there are demos of some tool or technique that might prompt me to buy something but not usually.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM

I start at the aisle that is least crowded...........calla
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM

I live in Houston, but since I work I usually only do one day at the quilt show. I get there for opening and go to look at the quilts. Most people head for the vendors, so I let them get on with it and I enjoy taking photos of quilts and not having to try to work around too many people. It usually takes me a couple hours to get to the point where I'm ready to go have lunch, and after that, I go to the vendor booths. By then, a lot of the crowd has cleared the first few rows of vendors, or I will start at the "wrong end" and work back toward the first row. People are very structured, I have found, and most of them will start at row 100 instead of row 2500. Works well for me!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM

For local shows I do the quilts first even if there are vendors there.

If it were a national show I would quickly see the vendors early then spend the bulk of my time on the quilts, demos, and free lectures.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM

I always try to get to the show when they open their doors and ALWAYS shop first. Usually the quilts are closer to the entrance and most people will stop there first so by shopping first don't have to deal with crowds in the vendor area.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 AM

I usually go to the vendors first at Houston, but then find myself exhausted when it comes to seeing the displayed quilts and usually don't appreciate them as much because I'm so tired. So this year, I'm going to reverse it and see the displayed quilts first...I figure the worst thing to happen is that I will miss a few buying opportunitues - and I can honestly say I can live with that!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 AM

Toilet . Drink food. Now I am up for anything and depending on show. If there are small classes go and book in to any I fancy..
Then quilts . I can see vendors in their own shops or on line. So I also look for demos
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I go to vendors first. sometimes they have only a certain number of items, and they may sell out quickly.