Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do first at a quilt show? >

What do you do first at a quilt show?

What do you do first at a quilt show?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 AM

I've only been to 2 small quilt shows so far, but I have like 3 stages. The first stage involves just a quick run of the vendors. Not really buying anything unless I see something I have to have right that second. Then I move on to looking at the quilts. And when I'm done with that I'll go back to the vendors and really shop.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Depends on the layout. I also ask first where the restrooms are, check out if they're in the front. I head for the quilts first, but if the vendors are in the way, I'll go down one row of vendors on the way to the quilts. Then the vendors, looking first, then returning to buy. But I would need a driving cart now to attend a quilt show. I wouldn't be able to walk that far, even with a walker.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM

I try to have enough time to do the quilts first, then the vendors, drop off purchases at the car, back to quilts, final sweep throught he vendors to buy the stuff I tried, but couldn't, talk myself out of.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have to look at everything at least twice. So I usually do a "fast loop" through the whole show (vendors AND quilts) and then go back for a more leisurely look at specific things that caught my attention.
I've only been to one quilt show, but this is what I did.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Just the vendors. Most of the quilts are not to my taste - either color or design, and most are too heavily quilted.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 PM

Anyone heading to the Dallas Quilt Show this weekend? Trying to decide if I want to go on Saturday or Sunday. I really wish they would move it to the Dallas Convention Center. Since the Dart station stops there, I wouldn't have to ask my hubby to drive me. I do not like the thought of driving myself to the Dallas Market Square at all.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
... I hate to admit it, but there have been times when I've gone to a quilt show and ONLY shopped!!
Uh Oh...you've found me out! Been there, done that...too many times to count! LOL
I always check out the vendors first. I try to get to the show on the first day it opens, first thing in the morning (or whenever it opens) so I can get the best selection at the vendors. After I've shopped, I then see the quilts.

Anita
Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
Anyone heading to the Dallas Quilt Show this weekend? Trying to decide if I want to go on Saturday or Sunday. I really wish they would move it to the Dallas Convention Center. Since the Dart station stops there, I wouldn't have to ask my hubby to drive me. I do not like the thought of driving myself to the Dallas Market Square at all.
My sister and I went to the Dallas Quilt Show today. I really enjoyed it. Luckily my sister drove, so I didn't have to worry about the Dallas traffic....thank goodness. We started with the vendors and then did the quilts. Last year we reversed that order....guess it is just whatever we feel like.

It was a good show. My sister is in charge of our quilt show in October, so she was also interested in inviting vendors she hadn't contacted yet. That gave us sort of an additional "task" and may have influenced why we started with the vendors.

Enjoy the show, no matter which day you go. It was crowded, but that is the way it seems to be. Lots of quilters out there.

Dina
Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 AM

I make a list of the specific things I want to buy from the vendors and do that first. Then any classes, then a browse around the vendors. After lunch and all shopping finished - visit the quilts.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 AM

Vendors for sure.! Paducah is coming up soon!