Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do first at a quilt show? >

What do you do first at a quilt show?

What do you do first at a quilt show?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Neither. First thing, I try to find where the restrooms are .
I loved that LOL Sad to say, most of my quilting friends and are in the same situation. Where they are and the layout of the show then dictate what order. The way it was set up at Oaks, PA the last time I went, we looked at 1/2 the vendors, then quilts, then vendors. Then back through any vendors that absolutely had to be revisited. I wish it were easier for Quilt shows to have motorized carts for rent for some of us. I and many of my friends rarely go to shows anymore because of the walking; Lancaster is a great show but a horror for walking but it's configuration makes impractical if not dangerous (Envision a 75 yr old woman who doesn't drive riding a motorized cart down a 45 degree incline or one coming up it for that matter.) I know the problems involved in this and have heard more than one story from Houston show (trying to back out of an elevator on one). So I know why they usually don't have them but will continue to suggest as I'm now at the point where it's questionable whether or not I'll make the entry.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM

I check the vendors first. It's usually not crowded when the show first opens. Later....squishy nightmare. Then I usually check out the food choices! I wish there were more benches or chairs at most shows. The Quilt Expo in Madison has improved on that over the years thankfully. Haven't been to Paducah for a few years, but years ago it was impossible to find a resting place, even on the floor. And I don't get up and down off the floor very well at all with my bad knees.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
At large shows, its typically the vendors first. There is one vendor that I now has the most exquisite fabrics and I can not relax and take in the quilts till I have been to that booth.
I always shop first, then enjoy the quilts.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Neither. First thing, I try to find where the restrooms are .
Sounds like my wife. LOL
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Patrice's comment about the machien and Bearisgray made me giggle. We have many things in common!

I try to view quilts first so that I don't have things to tote around with me. TRY. I have little will power, and am always afraid that the very fat quarter I NEED, the only one that would have been perfect, will be gone if I don't go and shop first...

It also depends on the layout. I went to a small one last year where the quilts were up the center w/ vendors on either side. So I'd view an aisle of quilts, then go the vendors near the end of that aisle. Then go up the next, and swing past the vendors on the other end near those aisles.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 PM

I kinda do both. I start with the quilts and as I see a vendor (sometimes they are along the outside walls) I stop to look at them. I do agree that I don't necessarily want to carry around my treasures.
I'm not very disciplined when it comes to shopping at quilt shows
Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM

Well, if I have been driving for the past 1 1/2 hours like down to Road to California, I first find the bathroom too. Then we usually go through all the vendors first then look at the display quilts.
The last couple of times I went I was in a wheel chair and so we could hang all of our purchases off of my chair and not have to carry them. I got out the chair to look at booths that I wanted to look at and sat and enjoyed looking at the people at the show when I did not want to go into the booth.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 AM

I usually split it. I'll start at the Quilts, do a section or two then head to the vendors. I have learned the hard way to purchase when I see it. I once spent quite a while looking for a pattern that I considered and trying to go back for it. I didn't realize the rack rotated. Finally I found it. Then I go back and look at the rest of the quilts.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 AM

Vendors first - just want to check out the scene first to see if there's something I can't live without!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 AM

I am new to this site and so far love all the ideas and suggestions. I will be attending the quilt show in Paducah in April for the first time. I know I will probably be on sensory overload so any do's and don'ts would be much appreciated. I know the first is probably bring a full wallet and wear comfortable shoes, but in addition to these two things any suggestions? I will be there 3 full days and cannot wait! Also any suggestions on any stores to visit while there that are super special?
thank you,
Crafty Bee