Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do first at a quilt show? >

What do you do first at a quilt show?

What do you do first at a quilt show?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 AM

At the Naples Quilt show they have a boutique and that is where I go first. Always something interesting with either a new idea someone has donated to sell for the group or something quilt related that someone no longer wants. AND they give their scraps and other fabrics to sell they no longer want/need. I have found many children's fabrics for care quilts that I can use. Then I look at quilts and then the vendors before I leave so if I choose to buy something not long to carry it. Oh yes, I take my earlier treasures from the boutique directly to my car.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:53 AM

We shop between classes, then view the quilts, then we go back to the vendors and buy. Do not have to carry anything that way except to the hotel room.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 AM

Quilts first, then vendors for the same reason, I don't want to carry stuff around all day. Houston was a different story because they have more vendors than quilts, LOL!! So you had to carry and there was no way to buzz through and go back, there are just too many to do in even the three days I was there one year. Take an empty backpack if you think you will shop a lot. Wheeled carts aren't allowed at most shows now.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
What do you do first when you go to a quilt show - shop the vendors or see the quilts? My friends and I always shop first and then view the quilts. I hate to admit it, but there have been times when I've gone to a quilt show and ONLY shopped!!

Register for for door prizes ! Then systematic from one side of the show up and down the aisles to the other. Yesterday at the Dallas show it started with rows of vendors and then rows of quilts and then vendors again. Seemed like a good layout. Just when you are getting overwhelmed with shopping you get to see the quilts and workmanship in the quilts.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:02 AM

What do you do first when you go to a quilt show - shop the vendors or see the quilts? My friends and I always shop first and then view the quilts. I hate to admit it, but there have been times when I've gone to a quilt show and ONLY shopped!!
Quilts first, always! Don't want to carry a lot of stuff to juggle if I want to take some pictures.....then I shop, and shop. and shop......
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM

I always stop at the first booth inside the door and buy patterns. Then I start wandering to look at the quilts. The beauty created makes me buy more patterns. I will have to live to be 150 years to finish all the projects I have purchased patterns for and I love each and every one of them.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 AM

Well, I don't hate to admit it -- I usually ONLY go to a quilt show to shop! My nearest quilt shop is almost an hour away, so I don't get to shop very often. So when I go to a quilt show and there are so many vendors, I'm in heaven. I take a lot of time shopping and browsing, and by the time I'm through I'm tired and ready to go home. I may glance at a few quilts, but that is not where my interest is.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Since I've only been to our town's little guild show, I head for the book room. They sell books and magazines for very low prices. Then I look at the quilts. I came really close to going to the Dallas show last year.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Default View the quilts

I always view the quilts first. I take my digital camera and take pictures. I take my time and soak up all the talent and beauty.

I live by(45 mins.) a big retail/wholesale fabric store (Marshall's) and while they have lots of fabric and often top name brands you cannot depend on them to have what you are looking for. You need to buy over a period of months(sometimes a year)to get everything you are looking for for a particular quilt. But they are very cheap, most fabric is $2.99 a yard, lots is $1.99 and the rest is $3.99 to $4.99 a yard. For an actual quilt shop I have to go about 100 miles which we do on the first Friday of the month because she has fat quarters for half price.

You can ALWAYS find fabric SOMEWHERE, but you sure cannot find the quality of quilts that I see at Paducah anywhere else. It is the ONLY reason I go. I am always amazed and awed!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM

It depends on the size of the show and where it is. If I have my car there, I usually do the vendors first as I can stash stuff in my trunk. I like to do a circuit of the vendors and then take in the quilts.

At the Houston show I will do a circuit of the vendors and then do the quilts. Then , because both sections are so large, I alternate - 5-6 rows of vendors, then quilts. I find changing the focus helps me to think better, both about the quilts and about possible purchases.