Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s??? >

What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM

quilts/ beds for animal shelters!! very tough and washable and soffter than the ground!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Power Poster

No such thing as ugly or useless anything....'specially fabric. Loved reading this thread....quilters are such resourceful people
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 AM

When my mom passed away I "inherited" several boxes of 3" blocks all cut out of heavy polyester. I put them together, selecting the colors so that they looked pretty and made a BUNCH of quilt tops. I made one into a car quilt for my grandson for graduation and he promptly put it on his bed. He LOVES it! He knows he can use it at the house, at the beach, in the car, wherever and grandma won't be upset to see it there. I put a light batting in it and backed it with a sheet. It was heavy but that's what he liked about it. I have enough blocks made for several more quilts, just need to dig it out and get with the program. They are really worth the effort!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 AM

A friend gave me all her mom's heavy polyester slacks after she passed away. I made a quilt of simple squares and gave it back to her as a memorial to her mom. She was very touched, but complained that every time her husband worked out in winter weather HE was the one who grabbed it and wrapped up in it to get warm. I also "inherited" several boxes of polyester 3" squares. I put them together as attractively as I could and made large blocks out of them. Made my grandson a double sized quilt he could drag around in his car for graduation. He loves it. Says it is the warmest thing in the house. He also knows that it is okay to take to the beach, use in the car, throw out for a picnic, or whatever and grandma won't be upset about it if she finds out! Well worth using that fabric!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 AM

Cut or tear into strips, use a very, very large crochet hook and make a rug? I know I have seen this, actually I probably have it somewhere around here.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
If someone makes dog beds for shelters seems the poly would be great, wears like iron and I'm sure it will never die! Since anything that goes out into cyberspace lives forever; I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the archiologists in 3012: "No we don't know what we were thinking in the 1970's, please we beg you, don't let History repeat itself! You, over in the corner, put down that mirror ball!"
I am wiping away tears of laughter! Thanks!

Alison
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM

My MIL made each of my 3 kids quilts out of double knit. Mostly cut from leisure suits. Ugliest things you've ever seen! But I'll tell you what. You use one of those to keep you warm at a soccer game, track meet, football game, whatever and you will not be cold. The wind will not go through them. They are also good for picnics or the beach.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:15 AM

When I first started quilting I made my sons their camping blankets from my dads old pants and to this day they still have those blankets and appreciated them at camp they kept them very warm without batting in them ..so please please dont throw the material away if nothing else make quilts for the SPCA. they are always looking for Blankets for the animals.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM

When it gets cut into small pieces, it looks different and not as "ugly." Use it for backing also if the pieces are big enough. If it's not, use it for backing for place mats or table runners or potholders. When you use it for potholders, if you don't like the fabric, it wouldn't matter if it gets soiled.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM

I told a close friend that I would machine quilt a quilt his mother had made. Well, to my dismay he brought it and it was double knit. Well, my mid-arm did not like double knit!..................... I finally finished the nightmare, but I was disappointed in the final product! Never, never again will I ever agree to a double knit again!............