Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do at a quilting retreat? >

What do you do at a quilting retreat?

What do you do at a quilting retreat?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:33 AM

Here is what I'm thinking. We have a home that is located on the side of a mountain, no other homes in view. A spring provides all our water, The view is of three ridges. We have auctions in town, a historic Inn and restaurant down the road, three little quilt shops, one owned by the fabric designer. I have three extra queen size beds and one king. Maybe I could hostess a weekend? I am new to quilting and have so much to learn. I feel like I could learn more in one weekend than in a year trying to figure it out myself. AND I'd surely come away with new friends. But maybe those are self serving reasons to try to put one together.
Do you think it would be safe to gather a group of women who have never met before? It seems like most of the small ones have grown out of already established friendships.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 AM

We are having a retreat her in May with 12 of us plus one - a baker's dozen. I go to some that have up to 35 people. I think you can also search on here for retreats and read more. And what happens at retreat, stays at retreat. LOL.
Sewing, eating, visiting, shop hopping, door prizes, gifts from other attendees, dancing, little sleep, lots of games, more sewing, more eating. Absolutely fun. And the small ones are good too at your homes. 3-4 Never do three. It's not a good number. Remember , our moms used to tell us? Have fun and plan a retreat.♥♥
Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 AM

I agree 100%. Elm Creek Retreat!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 AM

They all sound like fun.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 AM

We're having our annual retreat on April 30 in the fellowship hall of a local church. It is conveniently located, no steps and great parking. We'll have three workshops, games, lunch, and fun and let's not forget prizes. Everyone will win something because it's set up for all to leave with a prize. If the quilters want to participate in the workshops they can but if they prefer to work on their own projects that's cool, too. It's a day for fun and relaxation. We have increased our participant number to 25 this year due to popular demand.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:29 AM

I went to my first oine a couple of weeks ago and had a blast. We did a mystry quilt that one of the ladies did the pattern for us. We also did a quilt of valor. I never have has such great fellowship and fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 AM

Does anyone know of any retreats in Maine around the Lewiston area.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 AM

Actually, Jean, I remember a place that advertised at the Maine Quilt Show this past summer. I think it was around you. If you google the show, you might be able to find info. Good luck!

My guild has one every year in April. I just went last weekend! It's at a nice hotel. We have two rooms to sew in, one for a mystery,one for sew on your own. All meals are buffet style and are wonderful. I've gone for 8 years and this year I did more sewing than ever. Finally picked an easy project that I could sew on and talk, too. We had so many laughs! Great fun...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Thanks lot2do, I'll try that.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 AM

LQS has a winter (January, not fun when we have to drive in the snow) quilt retreat. I have been going for 8 years. Big sewing/dining hall, cabins for sleeping and food provided. So we can sew to our heart contents and sleep if we want.

Plus a few friends have decided to have a small 'retreat' at one of the gals beach house. 4 of us went in the fall and 5 of us will be going next month :) We each are in charge of a meal of two. We try to visit the two shops in the area and might take ourselves out for dinner. Very casual, but fun.