Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do at a quilting retreat? >

What do you do at a quilting retreat?

What do you do at a quilting retreat?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 PM

I have been to 3 retreats so far and I love them. I always take a project or 2 and work on that. Also, at our retreat we always have someone more experienced demo or help us make a new project. This one we made cloth Grocery bags except they are too nice to use for that. We also had a demo on using a pineapple ruler. We then make squares with them for a quilt of valor. We eat our meals together; sew; lots of laughs, just a great time. One project I had taken was a Thimbleberry quilt I had won about 18 months ago. I pulled it out then immediately returned it to the package because you had to make templates, etc. Too complicated right now for me. Well, one of my members spent about 3-4 hours with me and helped me make the first block. 1 down; 15 to go! I always learn something new at these. I love them!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM

I had a quilt retreat at our 2nd home a couple of years ago. We sewed, giggled, ate, walked, oohed and awwed at each others projects, took a couple of road trips of course to quiltshops. It was very informal. There were 6 of us from 35 to 69. It was relaxing and we all accomplished a lot. If you get invited to a retreat..go. It won't matter if it is small or large, my guess is you will enjoy it. It is just like what my uncle called a "hen party".
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 PM

I have been to several retreats. Our QS sponcers 2 a year. We go to a local Dairy Barn, converted into a B&B. All of the meals are prepared for us. We can quilt as much as we like. We usually have 2 or 3 projects that the QS will have a class on. Usually a new pattern or tecnique. Or we can just sew our own projects. We try to have all projects cut out, so we can spend the time sewing. We quilt from 7am until whenever. I have quilted until 4am. We go for walks around the farm and sometimes just relax. And we have show & tell of our project that we have made ,and not just from retreat. We have a lot of laughs, And if you need help, lots of that. Always a great time.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM

A community college in our area has a quilter's weekend once a year. There are choices of four or five classes or you can do your own. Meals are provided and we are allowed to stay in the dorms (two to a room) but you provide your own bedding. There is a large commons area whree we can work before and after classes if we want. They also invite vendors so there are usually 5 or 6 quilt shops, and sewing machine shops who come and you can purchase kits, yardage, notions, patterns, anything you might need or forgot. They are a fun weekend and usually cost around $100 to $125 for the whole weekend. Starts Friday evening and ends Sunday late morning.A year ago we didn't care for the classes offered so my daughter and I just got together at my house and sewed up a storm. It was surprising how much we got done.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

i'll let you know after i get back from the north carolina quilters symposium... can't wait june 3,4 & 5...

my oldest & best friend is driving frm MI to MA to get me & then we will drive to NC & stay with her sister, whose guild is running the event...

i have most of the stuff packed for each class & I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM

I have hosted a retreat. Everyone comes to my house, we do a projects, visit a LQS. Have show and tell. Even demonstrations. Its lots of fun. It very cost effective for all, not having to pay for lodging.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM

I have been to 2 retreats and a sew in. Our local retreat is next week. We have projects with instructors IF you want to participate. Most choose one or so of the projects, several folks complete UFO's. We meet at YMCA Camp Horseshoe, we have dorm accomodations, a silent auction, Quilt square giveaways, Fat quarter swaps. This year we are having a pajama party....making pamaja bottoms. We always have drag and brag...our show and tell. This year we are being offered shirts to purchase. We bring snacks...and it IS THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jdeery
Well, if you are in PA, there are plenty of quilting friends,
that would love to meet with you....what part of the
state?
I'm in Bedford County, about 45 minutes from Altoona. Where are you?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 AM

Hi Plain Jane, I started a thread a week or two ago about a camping quilting retreat in lancaster. I have never been on a retreat either, but they sound wonderful. I will be reading in more detail this thread. I have friends who do a retreat at one of their beach places about 4-5 of them and another friend who goes to one at a Girl Scout camp and about 5 of them.
Do you by any chance camp? I still would like to try to organize a camping retreat. I think a camping retreat would be a little more affordable for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
Hi Plain Jane, I started a thread a week or two ago about a camping quilting retreat in lancaster. I have never been on a retreat either, but they sound wonderful. I will be reading in more detail this thread. I have friends who do a retreat at one of their beach places about 4-5 of them and another friend who goes to one at a Girl Scout camp and about 5 of them.
Do you by any chance camp? I still would like to try to organize a camping retreat. I think a camping retreat would be a little more affordable for me.
I used to and I wouldn't mind camping again. But how in the world do you quilt while camping? I'm fascinated. I'll go look for your thread. Thanks!