Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your quilts when they are finished?

I give almost all of mine away, to wounded soldier projects (via Soldier's Angels or Quilts of Valor), or through my guild to the local battered women's shelter. I made a quilt and wall-hanging for a nephew, and have a UFO (for several years now) of a Stack-n-Whack lap quilt that is for me - if I ever get around to finishing it. Someday I hope to make a really nice quilt for our CA-King Bed, but aren't ready to tackle it yet. I keep looking for the "perfect" pattern, and the "perfect" fabric (may have to redo the room to match the quilt, rather than trying to find fabric to coordinate with the rest of the room!).

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Define 'finished'. It's not in any quilting dictionary I have seen.

tim in san jose
    :lol:

I have given away a lot of the quilts that I have made, but most of them were for family members (sons, daughters, grands, in-laws, etc). Most of my quilts are utility and I make them to be used. It makes me feel good to go to my kids' homes and see my quilts thrown over the back of the sofa where they are snuggled under, or to see one of my granddaughters curled up in a chair looking at a book under her quilt. The only quilts I have kept for myself are seasonal wallhangings or round robin quilts that I made with friends. Most of those never get finished!

Hello,

Your someday going to make a quilt out of your father's clothing just touched me heart....memory quilts are fabulous and will be cherished for years, great idea. You can also add photos to quilts.

What do I do with my quilts when they are done? Well.....I have them on every bed in my house (I need more beds!) and I have seasonal ones I use in their season, I have two floor quilt racks with 2-3 on each, and have two wall quilt racks with a quilt or a seasonal wall hanging displayed. I have one on the back of my couch just sorta thrown (like on HGTV decorating shows!) and one draped on an old wooden chair for looks. I have some in the closet and have some at the lake place and some not done in my sewing room!
    I give them to family and friends and as gifts. All my family have seasonal table runners and pillow wraps for the seasons.
    I am over run with quilts and should give some away again...
    I always say that if the furnace goes out up here in northern Minnesota we won't be cold....I have quilts!
    I enjoy my quilts and use them all the time.

Bev

I became seriously addicted to quilting about 5 yrs ago . . .although I had pieced and tied quilts off and on for about 20 years . .. just a couple for the kids or myself. In the past 5 years though, I've made five or six quilts just for the house . . .the two bedrooms and one for the living room . . .I have also made and given each of my daughter's very close college friends a quilt - the colors were their favorites or the design tied in to their interests or nicknames or such. I gave one to my middle son and his wife. Now I have two more sons & dil's to make for, and it's time to start on the 11 grandchildren. I have deliberately delayed the grandkids to give them time to get old enough to have a twin-sized quilt that they can drag around the house with them. I really can't see putting all that work into a quilt that will not be a keeper forever or until worn-out for them.

Oh yes, I now keep a picture of each quilt - all by itself and if possible one with its new owner. And I don't just store them on the computer, because computers have been known to crash - they have their own little photo album LOL

Banned
    Can't really say at the moment, because I am only on my second quilt, but have ideas for quilt 3 and 4.
    I believe I will give some to charity and such, but frankly, what keeps me going and not having a lot of UFOs is thinking, This will be on my bed when I'm done etc. Motivation for me.
    Perhaps I'll change my mind in the future, I've only been doing this since about July,(what can I say - I'm slow)

I just love this topic and reading everyone's replies! I'm new to quilting and just finishing my 3rd. So far they have been gifts to friends and family. My goal is to make a quilt for every immediate family member. I would love to make a couple for myself and also a few wall hangings and table toppers, but I just feel this overwhelming urge to wrap my family up first, LOL. Also, I just joined a Guild, so there's a challenge quilt and charity quilts. And I just have to have a few baby quilts on hand for gifts. I guess that makes me a giver of quilts instead of a hoarder for now. But I do see hoarding in my future. Hopefully near future :D

i don't have to worry about what is done with my quilts because my daughter absolutely loves them and she makes off with one or 2 every time she visits. (she lives 800 miles from me) :cry:
    but i still have my favorite ones on my beds and couch and chairs, anywhere i can find a place for one.

I took my mother nice dresses and made a quilt. On the back, I made a label from nice solid color fabric with her picture, the date she was on earth and what she enjoyed.
    I did the same with my father neck ties.
    I also made a king size & a full size comfort with the wool skirt I had in college. My husband likes it when I get it out and he can remember when I wore that skirt.
    Don't save your quilts, enjoy them as the next person may not understand all the time you put into them. I have friends who's grandmother made beautiful quilts and they use them to sit on the ground at social events. Just makes me sick to see them used that way.

Quote Originally Posted by camillacamilla
    Do you display them? Promptly put them on the bed for use and love? Give them away? I must admit, for the most part I am STINGY. I put so much time and effort into handquilting, and I feel it is my art. So I store them away. I have to stop doing that! Somewhere in my mind, when I am dead and gone, some great-great-great-great niece/nephew whatever will marvel at the time and effort put into it, and maybe know who I was.

My father died almost a year ago, and when it isn't so painful, I plan to take his old work shirts and "going to see his girlfriend" shirts and make quilts for my niece and nephew, his only grandchildren. Oh, I have to explain the "going to see his girlfriend shirts"..my mother died in 1990. Daddy had a girlfriend since 2000 that died in 2007. He had his work clothes (he had his own logging/timbercutting business), and then there were his good clothes he would wear to take his girlfriend to dinner or the movies. Those quilts I will give to them, with a tag on the back stating who he was, and why he was special. My other quilts, though, I will probably still be stingy with, lol.
    I think it's great that you will give the quilts a purpose. Most of the quilts that I have made are made for a purpose (or for a certain person). The other day, I was working on one of my D9P and my DH ask, "Who are you making this one for?" I told him I was doing it just to be doing it. He had the most puzzled look on his face.

I can't count the quilts that I've made (please understand that some of them were whole cloth, tied quilts to be used and used, others were quillows -- but I still consider those quilts) The only ones that I hand quilted are here, but those are few. I also have the first one I've made.
    I've made many bazaar" quilts. Those were auctioned. Most of my baby gifts are little quilts -- machine stitched, of course. I include a note with the quilt: This is not an heirloom quilt. Baby can sleep, play, pee, poo, and puke on it. Toss it in the washer and dryer and it's ready to go again.
    After Hurricane Katrina, I worked with a group of ladies that made quilts for that cause.

I've made a couple of prayer quilts for a little cancer patient who travels to St. Jude's for treatment. He outgrew the first one, so I made him a larger one this time. In the first one, I included a pocket to carry a little book; this last one, I made a matching pillow and a larger pocket to keep the pillow. (Please pray for Luke.)

I'm doing the same thing. I lost my mom in 1996 and my dad in 2005. I have most of their clothes, like you someday I want to make my sister and I a quilt out of them. About a year ago I finally started cutting up some of moms and my a few blocks. The emotions comes and goes. If it was something real special I remember her wearing- the tears start and I have to put it away for awhile. someday I'll get it done and I will cherish it forever. good luck with your project.

A lot of mine have a purpose. I have this underlying goal to provide a quilt for everyone in my family. The kids each have one, my mom, my MIL, working on grandparents', have done baby quilts for neices and nephews,... there's more to do.

I put them out there to be loved. Whether by my immediate family or extended.

You're supposed to finish them???? :lol: :lol:

I've given away everything I've finished. I have one sitting on the loveseat right now that needs to be tied--I'm not quilting this one. I just can't find the ambition.

I have a top finished in a bag and I'm starting on what may end up being a table runner and placemat set. I also have a portion of a X-mas quilt in a bag.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by gloryj8
    I'm doing the same thing. I lost my mom in 1996 and my dad in 2005. I have most of their clothes, like you someday I want to make my sister and I a quilt out of them. About a year ago I finally started cutting up some of moms and my a few blocks. The emotions comes and goes. If it was something real special I remember her wearing- the tears start and I have to put it away for awhile. someday I'll get it done and I will cherish it forever. good luck with your project.
    That's a positive way of healing. Do as much as you can.

well, been sewing forever, but somewhat new to quilting. The queen size I did many, many years ago i around here somewhere. Has one small place that seam needs attention. It has been used by whole family.
    two baby quilts have been used with children and now grandchildren.
    Have sooo many bundles that I picked yardages and hopefully are coordinated. Each one has a person's name on it written in my heart.
    Many bundles for close friends and even some for me. I guess I must be saving myself and hubby for last, lol. I want everyone's to be done well, but love the fabrics in my bundles...and my girls wouldn't want the ones I like...lol,...want these to turn out real well. It's not a selfish thing or a pride thing, it's got something to do, I guess, with, being an only girl with five brothers, growing up alone and always putting myself last. Someday I am going to make that little girl her very own quilt. Maybe even 2 or 3.
    Have many plans for donating also. I guess we just want to fill the world with quilts. It will be hard to see them go, but I will definitely take several pics of each one. I fall in love with my projects...like pets, lol.
    I have resigned myself to the reality that once something is given away, it is the recipients choice to do with as they please and i will have to grin and bear it. I know, I am sentimental. Not a commodity in today's world. I guess it's an "oddity". oh well. :wink:

Most are given away as gifts. Usually baby gifts for dd's friends, family members or people I work with. The ones given to family are really appreciated, the others are probably hit and miss. I've kept two, but am currently making another for me! I love your idea about making a quilt with your Dad's shirts, what a wonderful memory gift to give to his grandchildren

i just got back from my brother's house. My little gma made each one of us kids a quilt. I wore mine out years ago, but have very good pictures of it with my daughter as a baby on it.
    anyway, he gave me his. It's in a plastic zipped bag and I can tell this has not been the best place for it.
    She was quite elderly by the time she got to my three younger brothers, and couldn't see well.
    It is made of all kinds of fabrics, including some double knits and she did zig zag stitching thru all layers. I will still keep it and cherish it.
    I will take it out of the plastic and maybe I could soak it, not sure.
    This is it's last home and I am probably the last person that will really look at it and see my grandmother sewing it, piece by piece, thinking how much she loves the person it is going to. I am so happy to have it.:D

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    i just got back from my brother's house. My little gma made each one of us kids a quilt. I wore mine out years ago, but have very good pictures of it with my daughter as a baby on it.
    anyway, he gave me his. It's in a plastic zipped bag and I can tell this has not been the best place for it.
    She was quite elderly by the time she got to my three younger brothers, and couldn't see well.
    It is made of all kinds of fabrics, including some double knits and she did zig zag stitching thru all layers. I will still keep it and cherish it.
    I will take it out of the plastic and maybe I could soak it, not sure.
    This is it's last home and I am probably the last person that will really look at it and see my grandmother sewing it, piece by piece, thinking how much she loves the person it is going to. I am so happy to have it.:D

Would you mind posting a picture of it??? I would love to see it!!

Blog Entries
    I have a few that I've made but most of them I've given away. Lots of throws and baby quilts. I'm making a queen size for my bed now. I try to remember to sign them but often I forget. I'd love to have an embroidery machine to make labels for them but alas I don't so I just put my initials and the year on them.I have several that are over 50 years old form my mother in law and I treasure them, hopefully someone I've given a quilt to will feel that way about mine 50 years from now. I try to take pictures too and have an album of them with notes who they were for and when they were made. Some were made so long ago I'm not sure the year. I've scanned some of the old photos into my computer to put in my computer file of quilts but haven't done all of them yet.

I have been quilting for about 10 years and I have ONE in my house plus two Christmas wall hangings. All the others have gone to daughters and granddaughters and very special friends and their babies. After retiring, I found quilting became more expensive than when I worked. I am part of a prayer quilt ministry in our church and we have a tremendous demand for quilts and prayer squares we provide. So it has been a wonderful and blessed adventure to make quilts for people who are in life-altering situations: some folks I know and many I never meet. It has been so rewarding to share these, and the materials are donated or purchased by donations to the ministry. Now I get to sew non-stop every day and not feel guilty spending all my retirement money.

sewjoyce, I wouldn't mind, but my camera broke. I am going to get a new one, maybe with income tax (?), and then I'll have to tackle learning how to post pictures. I am not all that computer literate.
    I can tell, many of us were very close to our grandparents. She died in '97 so this is a special thing for me. thanks for replying. :D

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    sewjoyce, I wouldn't mind, but my camera broke. I am going to get a new one, maybe with income tax (?), and then I'll have to tackle learning how to post pictures. I am not all that computer literate.
    I can tell, many of us were very close to our grandparents. She died in '97 so this is a special thing for me. thanks for replying. :D

No rush on the picture....My grandmother didn't make quilts for all of us. And I was one of the younger ones who didn't get one :cry: :cry: Oh, well, I'm in the process of making each of my 5 grandchildren their own quilt :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by gloryj8
    I understand- I am not ready to start cutting his shirts yet. My sister and I inherited his farm, and I can't stand walking into the house that smells like him. I certainly couldn't stand bringing his clothes home yet- they would still smell like his house and him. Like you, someday I will get it done though. He died Feb 21, 2008- it is coming up on a year in a few days. I just am not ready yet.

Most of mine have been charity quilts. I made 2 as wedding gifts. I have made one for each of my kids and grandchildren. My son and daughter will each get a lap quilt for their birthday this year. My oldest (not agewise) and dearest will hopefully get hers this year for her birthday. I am at the quilting stage of my own personal quilt. I also have a table topper, a wall hanging and a wall hanging ready for quilting.

I don't have pics of all of my quilts. Now I take a pic of all of them--even the charity ones.

I would say, sewing your fathers clothes will be part of the healing process. You will actually find it enjoyable. Make sure you make something for yourself too. I didn't keep anything of my parents when they died but it is very popular and I have done lots of them for others. I think it is a blessing to them. I make quilts and bears and bunnies out of peoples clothes. I have four reversible quilts and four bears going right now. Along with my sons full bridal party, flower girl, bridemaids and brides dress. :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast