Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your quilts when they are finished? >

What do you do with your quilts when they are finished?

What do you do with your quilts when they are finished?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned

Can't really say at the moment, because I am only on my second quilt, but have ideas for quilt 3 and 4.
I believe I will give some to charity and such, but frankly, what keeps me going and not having a lot of UFOs is thinking, This will be on my bed when I'm done etc. Motivation for me.
Perhaps I'll change my mind in the future, I've only been doing this since about July,(what can I say - I'm slow)
Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 PM

I just love this topic and reading everyone's replies! I'm new to quilting and just finishing my 3rd. So far they have been gifts to friends and family. My goal is to make a quilt for every immediate family member. I would love to make a couple for myself and also a few wall hangings and table toppers, but I just feel this overwhelming urge to wrap my family up first, LOL. Also, I just joined a Guild, so there's a challenge quilt and charity quilts. And I just have to have a few baby quilts on hand for gifts. I guess that makes me a giver of quilts instead of a hoarder for now. But I do see hoarding in my future. Hopefully near future :D
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM

i don't have to worry about what is done with my quilts because my daughter absolutely loves them and she makes off with one or 2 every time she visits. (she lives 800 miles from me) :cry:
but i still have my favorite ones on my beds and couch and chairs, anywhere i can find a place for one.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 AM

I took my mother nice dresses and made a quilt. On the back, I made a label from nice solid color fabric with her picture, the date she was on earth and what she enjoyed.
I did the same with my father neck ties.
I also made a king size & a full size comfort with the wool skirt I had in college. My husband likes it when I get it out and he can remember when I wore that skirt.
Don't save your quilts, enjoy them as the next person may not understand all the time you put into them. I have friends who's grandmother made beautiful quilts and they use them to sit on the ground at social events. Just makes me sick to see them used that way.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by camillacamilla
Do you display them? Promptly put them on the bed for use and love? Give them away? I must admit, for the most part I am STINGY. I put so much time and effort into handquilting, and I feel it is my art. So I store them away. I have to stop doing that! Somewhere in my mind, when I am dead and gone, some great-great-great-great niece/nephew whatever will marvel at the time and effort put into it, and maybe know who I was.

My father died almost a year ago, and when it isn't so painful, I plan to take his old work shirts and "going to see his girlfriend" shirts and make quilts for my niece and nephew, his only grandchildren. Oh, I have to explain the "going to see his girlfriend shirts"..my mother died in 1990. Daddy had a girlfriend since 2000 that died in 2007. He had his work clothes (he had his own logging/timbercutting business), and then there were his good clothes he would wear to take his girlfriend to dinner or the movies. Those quilts I will give to them, with a tag on the back stating who he was, and why he was special. My other quilts, though, I will probably still be stingy with, lol.
I think it's great that you will give the quilts a purpose. Most of the quilts that I have made are made for a purpose (or for a certain person). The other day, I was working on one of my D9P and my DH ask, "Who are you making this one for?" I told him I was doing it just to be doing it. He had the most puzzled look on his face.

I can't count the quilts that I've made (please understand that some of them were whole cloth, tied quilts to be used and used, others were quillows -- but I still consider those quilts) The only ones that I hand quilted are here, but those are few. I also have the first one I've made.
I've made many bazaar" quilts. Those were auctioned. Most of my baby gifts are little quilts -- machine stitched, of course. I include a note with the quilt: This is not an heirloom quilt. Baby can sleep, play, pee, poo, and puke on it. Toss it in the washer and dryer and it's ready to go again.
After Hurricane Katrina, I worked with a group of ladies that made quilts for that cause.

I've made a couple of prayer quilts for a little cancer patient who travels to St. Jude's for treatment. He outgrew the first one, so I made him a larger one this time. In the first one, I included a pocket to carry a little book; this last one, I made a matching pillow and a larger pocket to keep the pillow. (Please pray for Luke.)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM

I'm doing the same thing. I lost my mom in 1996 and my dad in 2005. I have most of their clothes, like you someday I want to make my sister and I a quilt out of them. About a year ago I finally started cutting up some of moms and my a few blocks. The emotions comes and goes. If it was something real special I remember her wearing- the tears start and I have to put it away for awhile. someday I'll get it done and I will cherish it forever. good luck with your project.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 AM

A lot of mine have a purpose. I have this underlying goal to provide a quilt for everyone in my family. The kids each have one, my mom, my MIL, working on grandparents', have done baby quilts for neices and nephews,... there's more to do.

I put them out there to be loved. Whether by my immediate family or extended.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 AM

You're supposed to finish them???? :lol: :lol:

I've given away everything I've finished. I have one sitting on the loveseat right now that needs to be tied--I'm not quilting this one. I just can't find the ambition.

I have a top finished in a bag and I'm starting on what may end up being a table runner and placemat set. I also have a portion of a X-mas quilt in a bag.

*sigh*
Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by gloryj8
I'm doing the same thing. I lost my mom in 1996 and my dad in 2005. I have most of their clothes, like you someday I want to make my sister and I a quilt out of them. About a year ago I finally started cutting up some of moms and my a few blocks. The emotions comes and goes. If it was something real special I remember her wearing- the tears start and I have to put it away for awhile. someday I'll get it done and I will cherish it forever. good luck with your project.
That's a positive way of healing. Do as much as you can.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

well, been sewing forever, but somewhat new to quilting. The queen size I did many, many years ago i around here somewhere. Has one small place that seam needs attention. It has been used by whole family.
two baby quilts have been used with children and now grandchildren.
Have sooo many bundles that I picked yardages and hopefully are coordinated. Each one has a person's name on it written in my heart.
Many bundles for close friends and even some for me. I guess I must be saving myself and hubby for last, lol. I want everyone's to be done well, but love the fabrics in my bundles...and my girls wouldn't want the ones I like...lol,...want these to turn out real well. It's not a selfish thing or a pride thing, it's got something to do, I guess, with, being an only girl with five brothers, growing up alone and always putting myself last. Someday I am going to make that little girl her very own quilt. Maybe even 2 or 3.
Have many plans for donating also. I guess we just want to fill the world with quilts. It will be hard to see them go, but I will definitely take several pics of each one. I fall in love with my projects...like pets, lol.
I have resigned myself to the reality that once something is given away, it is the recipients choice to do with as they please and i will have to grin and bear it. I know, I am sentimental. Not a commodity in today's world. I guess it's an "oddity". oh well. :wink: