Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What do you do with your quilts when they are finished?

I typically give them away to family members. My grandson gets most of them, as he's my biggest fan. The kids will ask me to make them something and I usually do.

I love to sew, one can only have so many blankets.lol so I made myself a promise to make at least one quilt a month for charity in 2009. They are all going to be lap size or children's quilts. I'm fortunate and blessed so I want to give to those who aren't as lucky if you will as I am.

Blog Entries
    I take pictures of all my quilts for my BOOK (sew I can still enjoy them!) then I give them away.... Working on Dresden plate that was intended for my MOther but she passed away 2 months ago so THAT one will be for ME.. I will keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I take pictures of all my quilts for my BOOK (sew I can still enjoy them!) then I give them away.... Working on Dresden plate that was intended for my MOther but she passed away 2 months ago so THAT one will be for ME.. I will keep it!
    So sorry about you mom. Keeping "her" quilt will be great healing for you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks GailG! You are sweet..... It'll be like a hug....

I usually give away my quilts, but have sold some. I don't get near what they are worth. I do keep many of them and change them from time to time on my bed. nanny

Quote Originally Posted by nanny
    I usually give away my quilts, but have sold some. I don't get near what they are worth. I do keep many of them and change them from time to time on my bed. nanny
    Welcome nanny, seems this is your first message. This is a fun group to join. And you will learn so much. Welcome from South Louisiana.

I've kept maybe 2 that I've made. The rest I usually already have someone in mind to give it to when I start it. Like my next 2 quilts after this one I"m on , 1 will be for my 10 yr. old grandson and the other for my 5 yr. old grandson. :D

Most of the quilts I have made in the past four years have gone to the hospital for unfortunate children. They are machine quilted. I use them as a learning tool. So I can become a better quilter. This way someone gets blessed from my learning. :) They are only lap/crip in size.

Nuttyhuricane, I like the idea of giving quilts to the hospital for kids. :D

It's a great idea. We have a Pregnancy Center here and I love making baby quilts, so I've been thinking I should make some and take down there as they are always in need there. I'm a hand quilter and do a lot of hand peacing as well. Sometimes I can't sew a straight line with the sewing machine! LOL
    Go figure. :-o

Some are gifts...but mostly I sell them. I price them according to my material cost. Where I live, people don't have lots of money. I also make table runners as I can price them quite reasonably and people love to purchase a unique gift for their friends and family. If things are priced beyond reach, well, I'll run out of quilt storage room! I know, my labor is worth something, but I don't quilt to make a living. I quilt because it is cheaper than therapy. The money I get I can "reinvest" in another project. I also do a little machine quilting work for friends who quilt...and I am pretty cheap (I don't do really, really fancy stuff, though). This also supports my "habit." I love the "old" patterns and I try to do new things to challenge myself. I have about 3 or 4 quilts so far this year that are pieced. I'll make a bunch more and start putting them out for sale in the fall (Christmas presents).

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyhurricane
    Most of the quilts I have made in the past four years have gone to the hospital for unfortunate children. They are machine quilted. I use them as a learning tool. So I can become a better quilter. This way someone gets blessed from my learning. :) They are only lap/crip in size.

As an aunt to a baby who spent a lot of time in CCU, thank you. The things those babies and the parents go through is unreal. I think the saddest thing I've ever seen is a couple who'd just lost their baby holding onto the stuffed animal and quilt (that had been at the isolette) for dear life.

Please be careful of making baby quilts. They have to be fire resistant. A lot of the fun fabrics are not designed with the retartents in them. Yes there are some out there for purchase. My friend I make them for all ages. They are for the ones who are going home who have abolutely nothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3