Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you keep your fabric in?

I use the same kind Patrice does. I also have some storage tubs for scraps and batting.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    OK. I have probably the smallest stash of anyone on this board. My stash fits in 3 plastic grocery bags.

I really need to start working on stash building. :lol:
    Everybody starts somewhere - and then, suddenly... Well, you can see the rest of the story.

I'd encourage you, while enjoying building your stash, to get some kind of organization going now, while it's small, and keep at it. Getting it organized after you have boxes, bags, etc. all over is a real pain in the neck (or something like that :wink: ). Having gone through that mess, I'd rather start when the stash is small and keep at it.

Wow! Some of you ladies have amazing stashes! How nice to have entire rooms devoted to your sewing!
    I was lucky enough to inherit a large-ish antique cupboard. It is perfect for stacking various sizes of fabrics in the upper shelves. And I squeeze in most everything else in the lower shelves. If the stash starts to bust out of the cupboard, I try to put together a charity quilt or two. I won't provide a picture of the cupboard, because it resides in the catch-all room. I have to set up my sewing machine between the piles of stuff most of the time! Once in awhile I decide to move into the living room, but eventually I have to clear out in order to save the DH's sanity. Some day when the nest is empty, we are supposed to build a sewing room, but I will retain the antique cupboard.
    Anyway, I hear you on the economizing. Even though plastics emit fumes or gases or whatever over time, they are still sometimes the most economical way for many of us to manage our stashes. Watch for sales or even garage sales.
    I saw in a quilting catalog a nice sized canvas organizer that hung in the closet. I forget the price, but it was way more than I would pay. But similar organizers may be found at places like Dollar General or Wal-Mart, only they are labeled for sweaters. If I had a spare closet, I'd spend the $4.00 on a couple. I would use an old sheet or garbage bag to keep dust off, if necessary.
    If you keep an open mind, you are bound to find something at a garage sale or thrift store. Whatever you decide, if you buy something wooden, you may want to line the shelves with acid free tissue paper, etc, just in case of transference. Oh, and give it a good sniff before you buy. You may not be able to cure a cupboard of mustiness, and that will spread.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. I have a pretty good idea of what I want now. Thanks again

The Ikea closets are a GREAT idea! I just may do that. Let's hope they open a new Ikea nearer to us soon.

I thought I had alot of fabric, but some of you have me way beat. I don't feel bad knowing I have a few tubs of material. I do like the bookcases with glass doors on them, that is an nice way to see what you have. I have some clear tubs but most are in tubs I can't see through. Hubby will hate it when i show him that picture of the bookcases with the doors. lol He will say something like, "another honey do to add?" Great posts for ideas on how to store. Thanks ladies!
    Cathy

I have two cabinet pantries I use. I also have a few larger rubbermaid containers I use for the different sizes of scrap fabrics I use. I use my hope chest for all my pieces of batting.

I'm fortunate to have a sewing room which allows for a bit more storage. Currently, I use a six foot professional bakery rack (5 shelves with wheels) to store my fabric which is folded using a 4"x6" ruler. A local warehouse club had them for several months for under $80. To keep fabric stacks in place, I lined three sides of the rack with home decorator fabric (it's heavier) tied at strategic points and use another hanging piece to cover the front. Hope this helps.

Pardon my ignorance but what does "dh" stand for? Dear Hubby?

I have 7 of the pattern cabinets(from fabric stores gone out of business), all filled and organized with fabric, the spillovers are in 2 dozen of the 66 qt. plastic totes, filled and organized. Scraps are in big plastic garbage bags.

My husband suggested I use my white Ikea bookcases and allow him to install a window shade at the top that I can pull down to protect them from fading. I may take him up on that. :) Finding money for new bookcases may be not so easy.

I too am surprised at how much fabric many of you have amassed. I did a lot of shopping while at home in the states when I realized I could buy 1 yd for what I pay for a FQ! I also discovered a little country store called Goods where they sell expensive fabrics at cut rates. I bought some Hoffman,Moda and other well known names for $2.35/yd. Also discovered that I can order on Ebay and even with the delivery to Norway, it is cheaper than going to the fabric store.

I am a happy camper, who doesn't love to find a bargain?

My stash is housed in a rented Space Storage Locker located about 7 miles from where we live. I live with my oldest daughter, Liz and her husband Mike, and 3 Rottwweiller males. As I no longer drive I have to wait for Liz to take me "shopping" from the about 35 plastic boxes the size of apple boxes.. I have moved my stash many times and the last time across the country. Liz & I share a sewing room in the house, and try to find sewing time. She isn't a Quilter yet, but I have plans. My other daughter, Mary, has made quilts, but lives in New Jersey. I keep an inventory of the numbered boxes, the fabric is storted according to color. In the house I have all my notions, 2 sewing machines, tables and quilting books. I belong to a Guild and a sewing bee, so keep busy, but still am the collecter of UFO's. Quilters Rule....CECELIA

you know them wire shelving units they sell at back to school time well i have awall aalmost full of them anon oppasit wall i hav wooden shelves.i bought an stained an put together my self.istarted all of this after the k-mart i was working at closed due to the rent the company didn't want to pay any more.an ihave a quilting machine on the window side of room .an sewing tableon wall oppasit of quilting machine.anonly aboutthree foot to walk around in rooom when it is at its sest but i found out this last winter my floor is going through it's self an i have to box it all up an redo the floor again.i knew i should of went ahead an put new wood down before i put my checker board tiles down.darn it i got to do it all over again. my dad left me his place when he pased away an he didn't know the floors were that bad.

Those stacked drawers are great. Never thot of it. I use the rolling three drawer ones for notions, lace, purse fixings and thread. I have my thread sorted according to purpose..... embroidery etc. My fabric is stores in 6' tall plastic cabinets with doors to prevent fading, also from Walmart's. Also have several chests of drawers that my kids left when they moved out with my fat quarters. Scraps are still in a big plastic bag in the closet.

Do you have any closet space?

I purchased a few of the canvas sweater hanging shelves. They hang in the closet and take only 12" of space...(my two take 24" !!!!)
    They each have six 12" square shelves and you would be surprised just how much fabric one can fit into that space...each square is 8" high.

One can also purchase drawers for the opening which I did for a few. I store scraps for paper piecing in one and patterns in another...etc......

I also bought one of the hanging shelves for shoes and it is great for fat quarters and smaller items in your stash. This one has 10 shelves which are 12"x 5" and close to 5" high and there are 10 slots in each one......and think about it....it only takes about 5" of closet space.

For my much larger pieces, I store in an armoire. Hope that helps
    MJ in NJ

I just wrote about where I store my fabric but had to send this picture along to show all what hubby built me for my threads........

I love it and I know that you all will want one built for you also

MJ in NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is super cute! What a great idea. Did he put it all together, or is the base of the cabinet a medicine cabinet?. I was thinking of a medicine cabinet, door made out of the rulers and plexiglass would work. Or a old large picture frame, with shelves made for it would work too. Now you got the mojo going, watch out hubby. lol

He did it from scratch.......he didn't realize that I wanted a glass door so it was started, almost finished and then started over again...but it was worth waiting for.

The hardest find were the yard sticks....they all come with manufactures' emblems printed on them. The True Value ones were my choice and I just wrote in "THREADS" following their logo.

Glad you like it..I sure do and appreciate his talents.....won't trade him in !!!!!!

MJ in NJ

I keep mine in rubbermade totes and clear drawer units. It's not ideal but it works for me.

well, I don't know about furniture, but I had to tell you....
    I read the title of your post wrong. This is what I read:

What Do You Do To Keep Your Fabric In???

my answer was going to be: I don't even try. I just let it run wild and free! :lol:

Ours are in clear tote bins, somewhat organized by project.

At the quilt show in Knoxville last month we purchased several cards from Polar Notions (www.polarnotions.com) to help us store fabrics. You wrap your fabric on them and they keep the fabric folded and neat. You can put up to 15 yards on one card, so you can put all of your fabric for a specific project on one card and keep it together. We have some organized by project, some by color, and some by pattern.

The cards are 12" tall and fit on most bookshelves. They are heavy enough to last forever and designed very well. I highly recommend them.

Darren

you just gave me an idea my grandfather had made me a frame with a mirror in it an after twenty some years of moving around my son broke the mirror well i think i'm going to make me a sewing cabnet out of it thank you for showing your picture.an when i get mine made i'll share with you ok

I have a chrome plated four shelf rack thats 36"w x 54" h x 14" d stuffed. Under my sewing table are two large under the bed storage boxes that hold my FQ. Then I have a four drawer plastic rolling cart that houses my cut squares and charms. Plastic shoe boxes have my scraps, color sorted and I have another smaller but wider three drawer rolling cart that has my notions, tools and jelly strips.

I'd LOVE to get rid of the plastic organizers one of these days if I can figure out and find the right replacement piece.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Most of my fabrics are in built in cabinets in my sewing (family) room. The rest is in 64 qt size clear rubbermaid buckets in the garage. I have about 12 out there, organized by color, or flannels, or back size pieces.

What size aquarium did you get? Freshwater or salt.
    I have a 100 gal freshwater in my living room. I love my aquarium and fishes. I'd love to get another but dh says "no".
    We got another freshwater tank to help consolidate LOL.Now after this one this is what we have
    125 Gallon, 75 Gallon, 55 Gallon planted, 55 Gallon, 15 Gallon planted, 10 Gallon, 10 Gallon, and 2 Betta Bowls
    African Cichlids (lots of different ones-and I can name them lol), Pleco's, Channel Catfish, Cherry Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Killifish, Guppies, Green Glow Fish, Corey's, Tropheus Kaiser, Convicts, Jack Dempsey's, and puffers.
    Now I have 4 empty tanks sitting on my porch- We need to sell them before we find something else to put in them.
    You have a lot of fish and aquariums. Reminds me of when I lived at home as a kid. There were 4 of us and we each had 2 aquariums, except my older brother he had 4 in his room and then a 55 gal downstairs. I would love to get another but my hubby said "no"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2