Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you keep your fabric in? >

What do you keep your fabric in?

What do you keep your fabric in?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM

I thought I had alot of fabric, but some of you have me way beat. I don't feel bad knowing I have a few tubs of material. I do like the bookcases with glass doors on them, that is an nice way to see what you have. I have some clear tubs but most are in tubs I can't see through. Hubby will hate it when i show him that picture of the bookcases with the doors. lol He will say something like, "another honey do to add?" Great posts for ideas on how to store. Thanks ladies!
Cathy
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM

I have two cabinet pantries I use. I also have a few larger rubbermaid containers I use for the different sizes of scrap fabrics I use. I use my hope chest for all my pieces of batting.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 AM

I'm fortunate to have a sewing room which allows for a bit more storage. Currently, I use a six foot professional bakery rack (5 shelves with wheels) to store my fabric which is folded using a 4"x6" ruler. A local warehouse club had them for several months for under $80. To keep fabric stacks in place, I lined three sides of the rack with home decorator fabric (it's heavier) tied at strategic points and use another hanging piece to cover the front. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Pardon my ignorance but what does "dh" stand for? Dear Hubby?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM

I have 7 of the pattern cabinets(from fabric stores gone out of business), all filled and organized with fabric, the spillovers are in 2 dozen of the 66 qt. plastic totes, filled and organized. Scraps are in big plastic garbage bags.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM

My husband suggested I use my white Ikea bookcases and allow him to install a window shade at the top that I can pull down to protect them from fading. I may take him up on that. :) Finding money for new bookcases may be not so easy.

I too am surprised at how much fabric many of you have amassed. I did a lot of shopping while at home in the states when I realized I could buy 1 yd for what I pay for a FQ! I also discovered a little country store called Goods where they sell expensive fabrics at cut rates. I bought some Hoffman,Moda and other well known names for $2.35/yd. Also discovered that I can order on Ebay and even with the delivery to Norway, it is cheaper than going to the fabric store.

I am a happy camper, who doesn't love to find a bargain?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 PM

My stash is housed in a rented Space Storage Locker located about 7 miles from where we live. I live with my oldest daughter, Liz and her husband Mike, and 3 Rottwweiller males. As I no longer drive I have to wait for Liz to take me "shopping" from the about 35 plastic boxes the size of apple boxes.. I have moved my stash many times and the last time across the country. Liz & I share a sewing room in the house, and try to find sewing time. She isn't a Quilter yet, but I have plans. My other daughter, Mary, has made quilts, but lives in New Jersey. I keep an inventory of the numbered boxes, the fabric is storted according to color. In the house I have all my notions, 2 sewing machines, tables and quilting books. I belong to a Guild and a sewing bee, so keep busy, but still am the collecter of UFO's. Quilters Rule....CECELIA
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM

you know them wire shelving units they sell at back to school time well i have awall aalmost full of them anon oppasit wall i hav wooden shelves.i bought an stained an put together my self.istarted all of this after the k-mart i was working at closed due to the rent the company didn't want to pay any more.an ihave a quilting machine on the window side of room .an sewing tableon wall oppasit of quilting machine.anonly aboutthree foot to walk around in rooom when it is at its sest but i found out this last winter my floor is going through it's self an i have to box it all up an redo the floor again.i knew i should of went ahead an put new wood down before i put my checker board tiles down.darn it i got to do it all over again. my dad left me his place when he pased away an he didn't know the floors were that bad.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 AM

Those stacked drawers are great. Never thot of it. I use the rolling three drawer ones for notions, lace, purse fixings and thread. I have my thread sorted according to purpose..... embroidery etc. My fabric is stores in 6' tall plastic cabinets with doors to prevent fading, also from Walmart's. Also have several chests of drawers that my kids left when they moved out with my fat quarters. Scraps are still in a big plastic bag in the closet.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 AM

Do you have any closet space?

I purchased a few of the canvas sweater hanging shelves. They hang in the closet and take only 12" of space...(my two take 24" !!!!)
They each have six 12" square shelves and you would be surprised just how much fabric one can fit into that space...each square is 8" high.

One can also purchase drawers for the opening which I did for a few. I store scraps for paper piecing in one and patterns in another...etc......

I also bought one of the hanging shelves for shoes and it is great for fat quarters and smaller items in your stash. This one has 10 shelves which are 12"x 5" and close to 5" high and there are 10 slots in each one......and think about it....it only takes about 5" of closet space.

For my much larger pieces, I store in an armoire. Hope that helps
MJ in NJ