Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you love about your quilt guild/group? >

What do you love about your quilt guild/group?

What do you love about your quilt guild/group?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 AM

I had a very bad experience with a guild. I'd like to find a different one, but now i'm shy about giving it another try. Once bitten . . .
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM

I belong to a guild that was church founded (not my faith). I am frequently impressed by the charitable attitude and true caring these ladies show for each other and others in the community.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 AM

I belong to a Bee and a Guild.
In the Bee, we all become fast friends. Helping each other with a technique, color choice, and lots of encouragement to beginner quilters, etc.. We make charity quilts for the sick, exchange books for reading and then give them to a nursing home, make 2 quilts a year to raffle for our church, have pot lucks at birthday times, a yearly retreat etc.
In the Guild, we have excellent classes, do charity quilts, have show and tell, block of the month, sell used quilting books, bi-yearly retreats, and a quilt show every year. It is hard to make friends in the group. They do say 'hello" and then go join their friends. I do volunteer, but have to admit, if it wasn't for the great classes at reasonable prices, I would not belong.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 AM

I wish you the very best for your new guild. I am the member of one guild and would probably be a serial guild attender if I didn't still have a child in school and there were more daytime guild meetings available. My guild added a daytime meeting a little over a year ago and that has worked out beautifully for me. With the daytime guild I have made it a point to try and greet everyone, learn their names and ask them to do something. There is always a general need for help on various chairs or committees, but asking someone directly seems to be a better approach.

Games: Our evening guild plays Quilto once a year and our daytime plays sewing box scavenger hunt once a year.

Challenges: The ones with a "carrot" of fabric seem to be the best participated in. Secondly, a meaningful topic idea also seem to generate many participants.

Silent Bid or Montly Mini Fundraising: Small quilted or quilty item valued at $15 or more.

Show and Tell: Of course! This is what many come for. We actually moved this before the speaker so it didn't get pushed to the bitter/late end of meetings.

Try: Make and takes, something that can be made in less than 45 minutes. Skills Rounds, have three different people demonstrate a skill or differing versions of a skill and then rotate groups every 20 minutes. Try a fun way of mixing the audience before you start to allow the opportunity to meet new people.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I belonged to one guild for one year. I hated it. I was the youngest (23 at the time) and was told that I shouldn't be a member because I wasn't old enough to quilt or have the respect needed to properly care for a quilt.

So this board is my guild. I love it here.
Their loss!!! you're better off here with those who appreciate you, regardless of age! This is a great group and from all over the world!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Our guild is very active in Charity quilts. We do one for ourselves every two years, this year we did one for the local Native american Rancheria to raffle off, we make cuddle quilts for the hospital, we do quilts for the safe house for battered women. These things are important to me, and we have classes, and challenges and all sorts of fun things. There is always one group that is catty, but they have kind of been sent off to one corner by themselves to be ignored, but I have made a lot of friends there, and met a lot of wonderful ladies that love to quilt for a purpose
Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM

My guild is large, 175, w about 75 at meetings. We get one or two national speakers a year, host two retreats a year, do BOM, a holiday block exchange where names are drawn at the party to win 9 or 12 blocks depending on how many people participate. Everytwo years we put on a quilt show and make a quilt to raffle to help defray costs. We meet at a Methodist Church so we cannot do this but another local group does - they raffle off 3-5 half yard cuts of fabric - one ticket for $1 or 6 for $5. Nice way to get a little money to do things with.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM

In both of the Guilds I belong to I enjoy the selflessness of the members. There are many different personalities and economic levels but we/they all share a willingness to help in any way needed. We live in an area where quilters abound and have lots of fun and projects.Some single Guilds, some combined. And there are some very good cooks in both groups. We always enjoy the treats. We learn a lot and share with each other.Do try a group and enjoy the members.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
we only have 5 left in our group. not a guild. We all left a guild because it seems majority of them were very catty and always talked about other peoples business. now we have a great group, talking about the old days, funny times sadtimes about ourselves. We also share a lot of things especially if someone is making a scrappy quilt and needs a particular color, we all dig in and make it happen.

Ditto. our group is like this and I love it.
We are all very supportive of one another.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM

The best thing is the show and tell, and the people are not secretive about explaining the techniques. However, the true reason that I go regularly is that everyone is extremely nice and welcoming, with no nastiness or freezing - out behaviour. it is stimulating to go there.