Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you love about your quilt guild/group? >

What do you love about your quilt guild/group?

What do you love about your quilt guild/group?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM

I've belonged to one actual guild....loved the people and what we did...except for the long, drawn out meetings. Then the new president said people couldn't work on projects during her meetings. Way too many rules. So, I belong to 3 quilt "clubs"....no meeting as far as lengthy..we do sew-ins..which are not over nighters..just days...we go to quilt shows...we visit local fabric stores...we discuss what we're doing, or have show 'n' tell..and we include crocheting, knitting, sewing, and yes, even cooking projects. The comment is....if you craft..you eat. We just enjoy each others company...and have fun.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM

I don't belong to a guild but I guess you could call our group a quilting bee. We meet at a LQS and bring our sewing and just sew, visit, have coffee, sometimes lunch and just relax and have a nice time. It is a nice group of women.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I belonged to one guild for one year. I hated it. I was the youngest (23 at the time) and was told that I shouldn't be a member because I wasn't old enough to quilt or have the respect needed to properly care for a quilt.

So this board is my guild. I love it here.
So sorry you had that happen ! We have all ages and we all have fun & learn. best part of our large Guild meeting is the
show & tell. We may have 50 items to view. hard to sleep
when you get home because your mind is racing with ideas.
Our charity group are close friends & we sound like a beehive when we meet for workdays.
a local Church gave us use of the upper story of their building ! we have room for about 15 machines (we buy vintage & cheap machines so we don't have to carry ours around)--it is up the stairs--but that is small price to pay for 30 x 60+ area. we have scrap & cutting room. we are certainly Blessed by this little Church.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I belong to a large guild, and it's true you get what you give. There are the usual cliques but there are also plenty of us who couldn't care less who was with who.
We have a quilt show every other year, we get fantastic speakers to come in, we have a HUGE library of books and magazines, we hold workshops often - usually the day after a speaker is in to speak - we have her do a day long workshop.
We have 2 mini retreats/year - Quilt 'till you Wilt, where we go to a lovely hotel and are wined and dined as we quilt from dawn until way past dark. We have a charity program where those who run it hold quilting days when ladies get together to 'power sew' quilt tops for children. Then they package them up with backing, batting and binding and bring them to our meetings. We are free to pick up a few to take home and quilt and return the next month. They go to the Children's Aid. It's a great way to practise your quilting without the cost! This group meets monthly. Every meeting has a door prize draw - you get tickets for wearing your nametag, chatelaine, bringing the 'notion of the month' , wearing your guild pin, etc. We also have a fat quarter draw. You can buy tickets 3/$1 and they give 4-5 away at each meeting. Once a year we have bingo night - you make your own bingo card from fabric and the color scheme is pre arranged . "Floral print under yellow = BINGO!" Once in a while we'll have a fat quarter toss - like musical chairs. The fat quarters are rolled up and tied. Then you have to keep tossing them around until the music stops. It's also a blast.

I also go to another quilting group that is as different as night is to day. It's a seniors group of about 15 ladies who meet once a week and it's to sew. We do projects together so that we can help each other through a new process, we make a quilt together to raffle off in the local fair every year, we make charity kids quilts and we do a "cancer sew" once a month were we sew bed pads for cancer patients at home to use.
This group is there to laugh and cry and have a good time. If you have a problem with a project - bring it along and together we'll solve it. If you have an entire quilt to frog - bring it along and with many hands, it will get done. We get drop in visitors at the center who just 'want to see what the ladies are up to.' It's a blast. I'm their junior member , I'm 51 but they let me come anyway. Maybe because I drive a van - and that's good for shop hops! LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 06:04 PM

I belong to a quilt club, just in the summer for six months and we have a great time. We alternate with a quilt club in another town 15 miles away, once a year with a luncheon and quilt show & tell. Our group also goes to a retreat during the day, once a month. Each summer we make a quilt to raffle for the benefit on the community, and to help with our expenses. We've made charity quilts, prizes for the the community ladies who come to our own luncheon & quilt show. And, of course, we share in teaching various quility items or patterns. During the winter we have a shop hop in the Valley, but we do not get together to quilt, something I truly miss.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM

I've tried getting involved in two different guilds. The first one was really close to where I live and the other is about 36 miles from me. These two guilds made me feel like I wasn't good enough to belong. I would try to get involved but it was like I was in high school all over again. I was very uncomfortable. I don't leave the house any more except for doctors appointments. I guess I have gotten to the point where I am afraid of rejection.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Things I love about our quilt group who by the way meets every thursday is the friendships that form. We are like a big family. We do a lot together and help others when we can. We teach hand quilting, all of the aspects of design. Our Pres. has a great gift for design and constantly amazes us with her creations, Some of us have been with this group about 11 years. Marvel
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM

What exactly is fatquarter bunco? :?:
Old 01-23-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by crazyforquilting
I love the members of my guild. They are just wonderful. At one of our retreats we played fatquarter bunco. A first at bunco for a lot of the ladies. Had a wonderful time.

what exactly is fatquarter bunco? :?:
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 AM

I am loving the ideas for the games - and the meeting affle ideas as well. I love hearing that so many love their guilds - and I'm saddened by those that were made to feel uncomfortable at them - that is how I felt at the two bee I went to pushed the hand quilting, telling me that was the ONLY way to do it which is not me.... and the big guild was boring, stuffy, and had very little going on which motivates me to make a group that is warm and welcoming. I would love to see it grow but I'm determined to keep it friendly and fun. I am sure I will find ways to keep it going strong.

I think having a game is a great ice breaker, relaxes the group and adds some excitement.