Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you make for males? >

What do you make for males?

What do you make for males?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
I asked dh if he played cowboys when he was little, of course he did. So I set aside some cowboy fabric and will make him one to take back to his childhood days. SHHHHH don't tell him , it will be for Christmas, not sure if it is this year or next. Got to get started on it soon if this year.
Mountain deb, have you seen the Roy Rogers fabrics? They pretty neat. My husband loves the old TV westerns and I'm thinking of collecting the cowboy fabrics too, make a lap quilt for when he watchs TV in the winter.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM

For the men in my life I use a theme fabric and a 4 patch or a double 4 patch. As I have become better at quilting, I use plaids and checks (usually fat quarters) and make them into a star quilt of some kind.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:07 AM

I just finished a "Turning Twenties . . . Again" quilt for a special guy in our family. He loves history and since next year marks the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, these fabrics (and the timing) seemed appropriate. It looks very masculine. There are alot of CW fabrics out there right now to commemorate the upcoming anniversary.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM

My DNephew didn' care if it was girly cause he had a wife and daughters. He said his whole life was girly. He just wanted a quilt.

I am making him one with skulls on it cause all his t-shirts have some type of skulls on it.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM

I just finished an Eagle wall hanging for Hubby for father's day. I have also made a memory quilt for a man out of his father's old shirts. It turned out surpisingly great. Did some flying geese and put a couple of houses or cabins on. I was pleasantly surprised. The back was large squares and rectangles sashed with dark green flannel as the back was flannel shirts and the front was cotton.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

so, you wanted to see fleece socks, here comes a pic, this is one of the first pair i made and the only pair i managed to keep...everyone always wants them :)

Originally Posted by dyer804
I would love to make Christmas gifts for my family and do for the few females on my list, but I have two sons, as well as nephews, and great nephews ranging in age from 7 to 45. In fact, most of the people I need gifts for are male! What is something they would appreciate and use? I hate to waste my time making something that ends up in a closet, unused. I would rather buy something they might use (or at least return for something they might use!) than have my efforts go to waste. I would appreciate suggestions of gifts you have made for males that have been well received. I quilt, sew, cross stitch, and crochet, as well as bake! Are we gals just easier to please?
:-D :-D :-D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88028.jpe  
Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 PM

ckcowl- What do you do to the tops to make them stay up?
That looks like something my family would like...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM

OH THEY ARE "COOL"....for something that keeps your tootsies warm lol THese are on my list for sure! Tks for posting.

Margie
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
so, you wanted to see fleece socks, here comes a pic, this is one of the first pair i made and the only pair i managed to keep...everyone always wants them :)

Originally Posted by dyer804
I would love to make Christmas gifts for my family and do for the few females on my list, but I have two sons, as well as nephews, and great nephews ranging in age from 7 to 45. In fact, most of the people I need gifts for are male! What is something they would appreciate and use? I hate to waste my time making something that ends up in a closet, unused. I would rather buy something they might use (or at least return for something they might use!) than have my efforts go to waste. I would appreciate suggestions of gifts you have made for males that have been well received. I quilt, sew, cross stitch, and crochet, as well as bake! Are we gals just easier to please?
:-D :-D :-D

Do you have a pattern for them?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM

How do you make fleece socks. Do you have a patteren???
We are in a very cold area so I would love to make some.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
all of the guys in my world were the first to request quilts. and they all love them. i like making guy quilts...the young guys received game quilts or sport quilts, the older guys outdoorsy stuff, they show them off use them all the time...and let me know when another one would be nice :)
one year i made them all quilted outdoor vests
and when i started making everyone fleece socks (which sell in lands end catalogs for $18-$24 a pair) not only did everyone love them but a couple of the guys asked if i would make them 6 more pair...they wanted a pair for every day of the week ;)
of course, if you live in a warm climate they probably don't want fleece socks