Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? >

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

To me this would be a no-brainer, especially if hubby suggested it! I say go for it before he changes his mind.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Great idea for a sewing room! Puts your personality front and center, and you show an independence of spirit!

My hubbie and I have always used the rooms in our house for whatever we needed at the time. I started a business in one corner of our bedroom, then took over the dining room, then added the family room to that! Finally moved the business out of the house because we needed to hire help that wasn't just family members. Those were great years and we remember them fondly. So now I'm using a bedroom for my quilting AND selling estates of antique dolls! And I'm having a ball..
This is your life.... enjoy it!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by alderdweller
Mine is open to the front door too (which we also never use).
I don't have people come there often enough to worry about it though.
The other thing is that I've lived long enough that I don't care...lol
I figure it's my house, hubby doesn't care...and that's all that matters!
I feel like you but hubby likes ONE ROOM that's always nice- lol. He also is a consultant and works from his office in our house. I did feel bad when clients came in and saw mountains of material and tables and all the sewing stuff laid out on everything! This works for us. I say what ever works for you -Go For It :)
Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM

I have my sewing macine in our living room. I have it in such a way it's by the tv. When I would put away the machine after using it. (taking it back to the spare room) My DH and FIL were talking and they both said, why don't you leave it set up here in the living room. So my sewing table and machine are in the living room (plenty of sunshine) just great. Storage is in the spare room
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM

That is what I plan to do. My occupied Japan sewing machine is already installed with cabinett.After DH gets my singer up n running I'll get a cabinet for it, rearange my lounge chairs and furniture. will also go inthe livingroom.Theresse
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM

I have had my sewing things in many different rooms. Right now I have my machine quilting frame in my living room along with my nephews big screen tv, and my living room couch plus the desk top computer. It works for us.
I had planned on moving my sewing machine quilting frame to the back bedroom but my nephew is now using that bedroom.

My sewing room (with my favorite sewing machine) is my daughter's old room so I've left the bed in there for her to sleep there when she comes home to visit. Because I want to continue sewing while she is here, I have a 2nd sewing machine set up in the dining room....so all-in-all I have 3 rooms with sewing machines. :lol:

My family is very ecletic and they don't think this is strange since they get involved with their projects too.

When company comes, they may look at the sewing frame a little strangely but that is okay. It's my home, not there home.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Wow, wish I could turn my living room into a sewing room. I think that is a great idea. If you don't like it, then turn it back.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 PM

You should go for it, your DH suggested it and I'm sure he will help you set it up. The only thing I would want is a door so I could close it off if necessary. Sounds great.
Sue
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

go for it. I would do that too except the teenagers would object because they couldn't get to their video games.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

My sewing room is for fabric storage, and I sew in my dining room. The main table is 17 feet long, which makes it nice. I think it's better than having a room that's sitting there rarely used, but I make sure that I have a big party 3 or 4 times a year so I have to clean periodically!