Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? >

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 PM

My sewing room is packed up right now. I've moved the machine and cutting tables into the living room. I use a bookcase for supplies. Doesn't look odd to me. :0D Not in the way of anything. TV, sectional sofa and chair are still in there. And, there's plenty of room for Kinect game play.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 AM

Go for it! All the extra lighting is worth it. I have sewn in my living room for years. My grandson came to live with me and I needed to be near him. So while he was entertained with Sesame Steet, I was happily quilting. Six years later . . . I am still using my living room and he's watching Scooby Doo and the Disney Channel. I don't foresee myself ever changing back to sewing in a bedroom.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:15 AM

I have not done it, but a good friend did. She had tables and machines set up in her living room permanently for friends to come and sew any day, as she was almost homebound. They used their side door for people to come in to visit and their family room as their living room. Go for it!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 AM

I did it. My sewing room was in another area and my DH was injuried and I needed to move where I could here him. So errr Sew I moved to the Frontroom and love it. I have control of the house, Hubby and above all I can sew anytime. I have to vacumn once a day. If for some slim chance we have company....they now know I quilt and sew. GO FOR IT.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 AM

I would do the same thing in a heartbeat but dh would have a cow. Our living room is just for show, too. We never use it. I share my sewing room with the guest room so when we have guests, maybe once a year, everything has to be picked up and put away, which is a real pain. Our living room is on the southeast side of the house and has large windows and is very sunny and pleasant and would make a perfect sewing room.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 AM

I think it's a great idea! If it isn't used. you can put good use to it. I day go for it! I gave up my family room and made that my sewing room, and now use our livingroom.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 AM

Go for it. What better way to "live" than quilting in a big, sunny room. There aren't any rules regarding the use of space in your own home.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
This was DH's idea. The largest and sunniest room in our house is the living room. We've lived in the house for 19 years and have rarely used it. We don't entertain a lot but when we do, we use the family room since it's more inviting - we've very casual people.

So, he suggested that I move my sewing stuff there so I can have another sewing table with my new machine and a separate cutting station. Right now, I'm using a corner of an upstairs bedroom that is also shared by a computer and TV with two recliners (the kid's man-cave when he's home from college). Can't leave anything out - what a pain!

Has anybody else done this? How did it affect your home?

Thanks. :)
I don't know how your house is laid out, but if it isn't in prime view when entering the front door, I would say go for it. In our other house, a 4 bedroom colonial with center hall, we had a living room that stood empty for years because we couldn't afford to furnish it AND the family room on the other side. It was a large room and eventually became the sleepover room for teenagers, play room for gkids, etc. I would have loved to have that for a sewing room, but know it would not be a pretty sight for visitors. Also, it would NOT have been something my husband would have suggested. Go to it and ENJOY :thumbup:
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by alderdweller
Mine is open to the front door too (which we also never use).
I don't have people come there often enough to worry about it though.
The other thing is that I've lived long enough that I don't care...lol
I figure it's my house, hubby doesn't care...and that's all that matters!
I agree totally with you. Your home is not a showroom. You only live once so go for it! I have a friend that did this and it is great and very roomy.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM

when we first moved here, I seriously considered using our dining room, as we have our meals on our sunporch and use the dining room once or twice a year. The reason I haven't done that is because of the beautiful china, teacups, silver, and lamps that I've inherited. I love them. Where would I put those things? So I stay in the corner of our bedroom.

I would love to take over our family room, but we'd have to move the television into our living room and my husband Hates that idea. Right now, our living room is a quiet restful place and we spend time reading and playing with the grandchildren in there.

I have a big enough house. Just don't know which room to sacrifice. :-)