Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

Our house was built in 1918, and has a combined living room/dinig room popular of that time. We bought it 30 years ago, added on a large family room/kitchen/eat area. So we turned the dining room into my sewing room, and we jokingly cal the still attached living room 'his man cave.'
    It's nice, I can leave my sewing stuff out, without worrying about moving it out of the way, and there is a swing door to slose if it's not the best condition to look at

Blog Entries
    Good for you, you will have a blast, just don't overstuff it like most of us quilters do with our stashes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    GREAT idea!!!

Funny you should mention that, as I've been seriously considering doing just that. I have a huge open den area I seldom go into that is just asking for a quilting frame. And then I can see other things following it... like my sewing machines. My diningroom table is already my cutting table. Good thing there's nobody else here.

Blog Entries
    Do it!
    Why wast a good room, enjoy it.

My husband asked the other day about turning a our formal living room into a music room for my new grand piano. My sewing stuff is comfortably on one side of our bedroom and I'm happy enough there. I'm still the only person without my "own" space. We may do this---but it will require moving a lot of large items including the 800 pound piano and also a very large 75 gal fish tank. I'm still mulling it over.

This is exactly what I am in the process of doing right now. Never used the livingroom except for the past few years when doing home repairs and improvements as we don't have a shed or garage, so right now it looks like a hoarders room with all the construction equip, tools, paints, etc,etc. In process of dejunking and purging. Gonna make it into my quilting studio. Have one more major repair to go, which will include a closet in my master bath that will hold all the tools, paints, etc. Weird place, I know, but had to remove the tub I never used, and the space is perfect. I figure a livingroom is for living, and this is the living I intend to do for now. My son uses the formal dining room for his own personal computer/study room, but as soon as he goes away to college in the fall, that is my new gardening area - seed starting, herb growing, etc. Its your house. Live in it how it makes you happy.

Banned
    I think you are nuts, it is v sad that a sunny room is not used, we all need a spare reception room preferably facing different aspects.

I haven't done it, but I think about it ALOT!

Go ahead.
    Pam M

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    My husband asked the other day about turning a our formal living room into a music room for my new grand piano. My sewing stuff is comfortably on one side of our bedroom and I'm happy enough there. I'm still the only person without my "own" space. We may do this---but it will require moving a lot of large items including the 800 pound piano and also a very large 75 gal fish tank. I'm still mulling it over.
    Go ahead. I grew up with a baby grand and an organ in the living room. I have great memories of playing on my time when everyone was gone shopping. Just loved the time as I could play exactly what I wanted not what I had to play for practice time.

Pam M

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I don't have an extra living room. I have one living room, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. I agree with Nike. JUST DO IT!!! LOL Since it seems to be an extra room that is not being used, you could rehome your sewing stuff. It would all be in one location. If it has an open entryway, you could make long curtains to close it off when not in there (or to hide a mess). LOL LOL LOL Good luck with your decision. Please if possible would you post some pics when its done.

debra

Hey, go for it!! It would serve a better purpose than just sitting empty & hardly ever used.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Do it!

Sounds like a great idea.

If I could do that I would be so happy.

Blog Entries
    I say go for it!!!

Hubs & I do not entertain at all. In fact we have
    no furniture, except for a dinette stable with 4 chairs
    that is almost in the center of the living room.

Our living room has my desk set up as well as my hubs.
    The dining room is my sewing room, and now that my
    youngest daughter left for college in June well I took
    her room and turned it into my "fabric & cutting" room.

We live in a small 850sq ft condo.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Go for it! God has blessed you with a keeper hubby!

I just did that when I moved into my new Indiana apartment a couple of weeks ago. I use some antique family dining room furniture for my rulers and the table for sewing. The living room is big enough for me to put two leaves into the table. The china cabinet still has china in it, but I can easily move things off the table and have folks to dinner if I want! I use the separate dining room as a study -- futon, bookshelves, books, stereo, little TV. I do have a second bedroom, but it already has the sewing embroidery machine, serger, and knitting frame. My computer is also in the living room/quilting studio. Now that's handy! there is also this 8x15 "den" area, just an extension of the apartment building's upstairs hallway, that I am setting up as my stash room.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8