Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? >

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 AM

go for it.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 AM

The tribe has spoken-Go ahead and enjoy using your house.
Cindy
Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Go for it. If it makes you happy don't worry about anything else.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 AM

You would probably " live" in it more! Get a decorative screen if it is too close to the front door or to put up when company comes.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 AM

I would certainly do it if I had 'formals'. I think sometimes, if you don't use the formal rooms very often, then you're paying to heat and cool basically empty square footage. It's simply a wasted space, that costs you money. Once upon a time, these rooms were used a lot more than today. Today, they're simply not used that often for most families. In my mind, rather than pay to maintain wasted square footage, I'd use it! I think it's a wonderful idea. I have several friends who've done this also...and I would in a heartbeat if I had 'formals'...but alas, I only have an extra bedroom :)

Debbie in Austin
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Go for it, it's your home and sewing makes you happy. My dining room holds my LA as hubby and I always eat in the kitchen. When we have company, it always ends up being in the kitchen.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM

I say run with it.

Seldom today do you find many "traditional" rooms in a house such as a sitting room, aka living room. Most homes have eliminated it entirely at least here in the south where I live.

Folks have more of an entertainment room with TV's, entertainment centers of one sort or another, and many don't even have traditional dining rooms either but have a dinette set in there kitchen.

As a matter of fact what use to be our sitting room/living room is now the entertainment room and my dining room is now one of my computer/craft room where I cut things with my die cutting machines and do my internet stuff. I still have the dining room set but it's right up to the bay window and my toys are on it. The chairs are lined up on both sides of the walls.

I have a separate room for my sewing and screen printing and a small bedroom I converted into my stamping and printing room.

I still have two full size bedrooms with two baths and another room that was suppose to be the garage but opted to have it as a room to store my small appliances, and an extra frig and full size freezer.

MAKE IT YOUR OWN and comfortable for you and since your hubby suggested it I'd run with it.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. I turned my living room into my bird room. It has the most windows and the parrots get lots of light. I took up the carpeting and am installing tile flooring soon.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Why not? It's your home! It should serve you. Why keep a little used room set up for a function it doesn't serve while another important feature of your life is restricted by too little space.
What she said!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 AM

We did that in our former house...just made more sense for us to use the largest room in the house for a shared hobby room. A spare bedroom became the TV Room and was more cozy than a big living room. We installed overhead lighting. Never regretted it.