Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of converting living room to sewing room? >

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

What do you think of converting living room to sewing room?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I live alone, and have my sewing machine and cutting table in my living room. I can watch TV while I am sewing. And my front foor opens into my living room, but since the only company I have knoew my passion for sewing, it matters not! I LIVE in my living room! It is my house, after all. (I do share my house with my critters and we all co-exist.)
I dont't live alone.I live with my mother and my daughter but we all feel the same way. I have never felt the need for formal areas in a house. To me a empty room just collects dust when it can be used and lived in.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM

i would go for it if i were you...sounds like it won't interfere with your life - it will only make it better!....we practically live in our living room, and i it's where i quilt...i don't have much space :(, but i'm making due:)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM

I haven't yet but thinking about it.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
KLO

I would say that as long as you don't do anything permanent to the room so that it cannot be turned back into a living room easily in case someday you wanted to or had to sell, it should be fine. Your house, you get to live in it how you want. I've thought about doing that with our formal dining room but it is too centrally located and open to other rooms to work well. And if your DH suggested it, really, go for it like others said. That's what I call support. Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM

I have a friend that did that. They didn't use their living room, so she turned it into a fabulous sewing room. I am so envious of her. Her husband builds cabinets for a living, so she got these great cabinets and a wonderful window to look out when she's sewing. They did put in a wall with bi-fold doors, so she could close it to hide the mess. Why waste the space when you could be using it and enjoying it so much. It's your house for your enjoyment, so you should use it the way your want to.

Our youngest child is handicapped. Several years ago we remodeled a room for him and moved electric outlets and switches up so he couldn't reach them. We had a bed and cabinets made (by my friend aboves husband), special coverings for the windows and installed a dutch door. My mother-in-law told me that it was going to make our house hard to sell. What she never understood was we remodeled the room for our son's safety and enjoyment. We did that almost 10 years ago and I have never regretted it.

GO FOR IT!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM

I have a friend that has done this she has the best sewing room , I love visiting there , go for it what is the use in having a room you neer use . Cathy
Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I think there's several members on here that do the same thing. I've thought about it too(instead of one of the extra bedrooms I'm using now), but when you enter our home you enter the living room(our home is an open concept floor plan). Maybe I should use the family room instead.
When I lived in Indiana, my living room was completely closed in and that would have been perfect for a sewing room.
If your DH suggested it then go for it!!!
I couldn't do it if it was the first thing saw when enter house. Would look to messy, just normal sewing clutter.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Since it was DH idea it should work real good. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM

sounds like a great idea..
Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 PM

If Ami Simms can do it why not you? It's your home!