Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Embelishments to much-to little-or ot at all.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 AM

i see alot of wash or dont wash, but i think the bigger one is the topic of should you 'share' a pattern that you buy....
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Controversy exposes the options, opportunities and opinions - not a bad thing!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Miriam.. I agree with your statement to a point.

HEATED controversy just spins topics off their main point. I've never understood WHY someone thinks that being the LOUDEST or most NASTY wins any debate. It just makes the person who's communicating in an angry mode lose their credibility in the conversation IMO.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Wash or not.
Ditto.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 AM

This has been a fun thread to read. You all are insightful!

I think the wash/don't wash comes up all the time.

This one had me baffled:

I asked once when is a quilt a quilt. This was one of my first topics because I was researching this wonderful craft of quilting and saw so many types of quilts made up of so many mediums. I got confused because some folks referred to landscape quilts as simply art. No "quilt" word in the description when clearly the item in discussion was sewn, layered, quilted, had a binding, but had no geometric pieces in it. Seems like the lack of the last thing mentioned disqualified it from being a quilt.

I think the hoopla and oohing and awing over the art quilts gets the feathers of geometric quilters ruffled. This brings on heated words of what is really a quilt and what is not.

Just sayin.......
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 AM

This is a funny topic. I don't see a lot of controversial subjects here. We just start discussions. I love to read the pros and cons of different subjects. I never washed my fabric, but I do now. I never used starch, but I do now. I have learned so much from the discussions on this board. I hope that they continue.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by redvette54
Hmmmm, I'm going to get in trouble for this one. For me it's been the controversy over another group starting over doing the Farmers Wife Sampler. I really want to work on this quilt with a group. Still hoping it could happen.
I know nothing about the controversy of which you write, but here is the poop: I am part of a group which just finished the 111 FWS blocks. Originally we had someone who wanted to do the quilt as a group, so she put a "Who is interested?" post in the QB messages. She received many "I am" responses; she then got the o.k. from the QB moderator(s). She was willing & happy to be "in charge" and she got the ball rolling. As it turned out, her life took some turns that made it difficult or impossible to continue as our leader so someone else kindly and efficiently took over, posting the BOM info. on the board each week.

What you require, I think, is someone who is wanting/willing to be your FWS leader ... to get approval from the QB moderator(s) and to maintain FWS posts ... so you can get a startup as we did.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Highmtn
Miriam.. I agree with your statement to a point.

HEATED controversy just spins topics off their main point. I've never understood WHY someone thinks that being the LOUDEST or most NASTY wins any debate. It just makes the person who's communicating in an angry mode lose their credibility in the conversation IMO.
I agree
Old 09-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
The one that gets me is "where you buy your fabric".
I buy mine EVERYWHERE! lolol If its pretty and good quality..it seems to follow me home! I'm with you..I get tired of the petty. Who cares were it came from? (unless you want to buy some yourself!)