Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What do you use

Blog Entries
    If you want to save money you can just take the tail of the thread and pull it taut as you pull it against the bobbin edge. That makes the thread tuck under the thread near it and not unravel. But I love the clear tubing idea...very clever!

Yes, what a cute idea! I just keep mine in a regular bobbin holder - sometimes the thread hangs out. Oh well...

Gosh that is a great idea, and I must have a dozen or more around here from the grandkids that have outgrown them. :) thanks for the idea.

Blog Entries
    Great ideas, thank you for sharing

I use the bobbin saver also.

Hey, that is a good idea.

what a clever idea, I guess I'll be going to dollar tree also, thanks for the tip.

I use 5/8" clear tubing. Got the tip from Watterside (Kim) who lives not to far from me here in snowy MI. She has lots of great ideas. I have learned so very much from the members of the Quilters Board. Thank you, thank you to each one of you for your contributions in so many ways.

I use the hair ties, also. I got 50 for $1 at Dollar General.

For the spools of thread that don't have the little notches to pull the ends through, I save the self-sticking elastic that they use when you get a blood test, cut them into small strips and wrap them around the spool. You can buy a new batch at drugstore or even at PetSmart where they come in several colors but I can get about 20 strips from what they wrap around my arm. Why throw it away? Does that make me "cheap". No one has to actually answer that question, lol.

I think they are talking about the wide plastic spirals that are found one some of the cookbooks that are sold through fundraisers and such, at least around here. You should be able to cut apart each section, leaving a little "C" that would slip over the bobbin anchoring the end of the thread. There should be enough of an opening to see the color of the thread and it shouldn't unravel.

great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I went to Lowes and bought a piece of clear rubber tubing, then I cut it into little pieces and cut each piece apart. so it wasn't a complete O any more. there is no part missing out of the O its just sliced! works great and I can still see what color is on the bobbin! I don't have pictures but maybe after taking the kid to school. lol

ETA the picture looks like you cut a piece OUT but you don't that one is just stretched out from being on a really full bobbin.
    That is the same thing I use. And you can get over a foot of the stuff for less that a dollar.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

I use the same things for bobbins,I have nylon socks that are specially made for cone thread. :thumbup:

Power Poster
    What a good idea.. I will no longer have to have thead unraveling on to eachother.

I love your idea!

I use the pony tail things also. Picked them up at Walmart. Really cheap and works great

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    to keep the thread on your bobbins from unraveling? I use the fabric ponytail thingies for fine baby or little girl hair. They work great and you can match the color to the thread color, which I haven't done alot of. I also use it for my spools of thread. And, they are a great price, about 1.50 for 24.
    I use the same thing because a sweet person on here several months ago posted the idea, but without pictures. I will leave this word of warning though, NEVER let your cat find them. Ask me how I know. I had bobbins under the fridge!

Quote Originally Posted by piecelover
    I use those too. But, I went into a dollar store (first time ever being in one) to see if they had any and right up front by the checkout was a bag of 100 for, you got it, $1.00!!! So I shared some with my SIL and still have more than I'll ever use. They're great!
    You will use them because they stretch out sooner or later.

I also use the bobbinsavers works great and does not cost that much have one for each machine.

Got to get some of those. Keep forgetting when I get to the store!

I use plastic bobbin holders that have a peg that fits into the thread spool with a place into which the bobbin snaps. Since the top part fits around the bobbin, it holds the thread end in place. I got them from Coltilde a long time ago. I just checked their site and see they have a different item, now. I like these because they do hold the bobbin thread in place and because I can keep the bobbin with the thread spool so I knowo what's on the bobbin. That way I know if it''s white quilting thread or regular white sewing thread.

I didn't know what to use. Now, thanks to you I do. Very nice tip. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    to keep the thread on your bobbins from unraveling? I use the fabric ponytail thingies for fine baby or little girl hair. They work great and you can match the color to the thread color, which I haven't done alot of. I also use it for my spools of thread. And, they are a great price, about 1.50 for 24.
    I use them too for my bobbins, need to get some more. I hadn't even thought of using it for spools, great idea.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast